Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

also, a Rome local told me if you go to Rome game on Tuesday nights you can get a ticket for $2.   Would be a nice easy family affair at those prices if you don't mind driving - about a 45 minute drive for me from Acworth/Kennesaw.

Dawggone likes this

1 minute ago, Nereek said:

Well next month starts Friday.

yes, patience grasshoppa!

we didn't need my ugly mug on here twice - that's double jeopardy!

13 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Spoke to Alex Anthopolous tonight in Rome, GA and he told me all the remaining offseason moves he will be making in the next month.

l4l8frS.jpg

Hey, I saw you there!

He was texting on his phone about 7 feet from me at one point, it was all I could do not to try to look over his shoulder.

g-dawg likes this

8 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Hey, I saw you there!

He was texting on his phone about 7 feet from me at one point, it was all I could do not to try to look over his shoulder.

cool.  I didn't even know I was going until last night - had a great time. 

I know you know this but here is some

Braves Rome Trivia for the rest of you.

New Rome Manager is Matt Tuiasosopo.    Last name sound familiar?

Matt's brother was Marques Tuiasosopo who was very accomplished QB at the University of Washington and was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2001 NFL Draft.  He was drafted in 2nd round by Oakland Raiders and played in NFL for 11 seasons.

Matt's dad was a 1st round draft pick out of UCLA and played many years as a Defensive lineman in the NFL and won a SuperBowl with the San Francisco Niners.

23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

also, a Rome local told me if you go to Rome game on Tuesday nights you can get a ticket for $2.   Would be a nice easy family affair at those prices if you don't mind driving - about a 45 minute drive for me from Acworth/Kennesaw.

Don't know about the $2 Tuesdays (and I live in Rome....lol), but even full price is a bargain compared to the big club.  Our son is developing an interest in t-ball and baseball and we signed him up for 5/6 year old coach pitch today.  It's been SSSOOOOOOOOOOO hard to not cram baseball down his throat but I'm stoked that he's developing an interest in it.  I'm hoping to get him to several games this season.

If any of you guys ever want to take in a Rome game, let me know.  I'd be glad to hang out for a couple of hours.

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Matt's brother was Marques Tuiasosopo who was very accomplished QB at the University of Washington and was drafted in the 2nd round of the 2001 NFL Draft.  He was drafted in 2nd round by Oakland Raiders and played in NFL for 11 seasons.

Matt's dad was a 1st round draft pick out of UCLA and played many years as a Defensive lineman in the NFL and won a SuperBowl with the San Francisco Niners.

Matt played for the Braves briefly too.

g-dawg likes this

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Spoke to Alex Anthopolous tonight in Rome, GA and he told me all the remaining offseason moves he will be making in the next month.

l4l8frS.jpg

Lol you mean before the season starts? Come on man, you don't have to talk to anyone to know this lolololll..nice name drop though

7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Braves in 2 years could have this lineup

• C - William Contreras
  • 1B - Freddie Freeman
  • 2B - Ozzie Albies
  • 3B - Austin RIley
  • SS - Dansby Swanson
  • LF - Ronald Acuna Jr.
  • CF - Ender Inciarte
  • RF - Christian Pache

That could be solid if they all work out or half of them could turn out like Dansby so far.  Which takes me back to my point if we don't hit on every one of those theirs not much else behind them.   Where as if we don't hit on a few pitchers coming up we still got quite a bit of pitchers left over coming up behind them thats got good stuff.

Malachore likes this

8 hours ago, Nereek said:

We have a better shot at signing Harper, than trade for realmuto.

Which i would have no problem with and much prefer lol.  Im not a huge fan of trading for realmuto and giving up alot of prospects.  If it takes what im seeing posted by alot of other sites the reds are giving up i have no interest at all in realmuto.   But im for sure interested in trading for other bats that might can be had if we can't sign some really good hitters like a harper or machado.

4 hours ago, FalconFan13 said:

Which i would have no problem with and much prefer lol.  Im not a huge fan of trading for realmuto and giving up alot of prospects.  If it takes what im seeing posted by alot of other sites the reds are giving up i have no interest at all in realmuto.   But im for sure interested in trading for other bats that might can be had if we can't sign some really good hitters like a harper or machado.

It's looking like realmuto to reds and Harper to phillies.

6 minutes ago, Nereek said:

It's looking like realmuto to reds and Harper to phillies.

Just give me Haninger and Kluber

jidady likes this

2 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Just give me Haninger and Kluber

Braves are done... they may trade or sign for bullpen help, that's about it.

1 hour ago, Nereek said:

Wow, I didn't see that press release. I had read AA said there were many things still brewing and options. Good to know.

1 hour ago, Nereek said:

AA never had a plan, and we didn't get much better. I'm going to have to say dude needs to get **** canned already

25 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Wow, I didn't see that press release. I had read AA said there were many things still brewing and options. Good to know.

If so, it's probably not going to be franchise changing signings and trades.

37 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

It's beginning to look like he just played himself all offseason.

13 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I saw Matt play little league baseball when I lived in Port Orchard Washington in the 90’s. 

g-dawg and K26dp like this

Yes. Let's fire the guy for not bringing in any big names after his first season. Some of you need to take a step back from the ledge. None of you would have said the 2018 Braves could compete for the East. Let the FO do its thing, they know what's really happening. It's fun to debate on what we'd do but at the end of the day we're couch GM's for a reason. Keep it logical.

g-dawg, JDFIII, K26dp and 2 others like this

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Yes. Let's fire the guy for not bringing in any big names after his first season. Some of you need to take a step back from the ledge. None of you would have said the 2018 Braves could compete for the East. Let the FO do its thing, they know what's really happening. It's fun to debate on what we'd do but at the end of the day we're couch GM's for a reason. Keep it logical.

To add to this.....AA and his staff are going about their business and are accountable to Terry McGuirk, not Liberty Media. Terry answers to LM. If we finish 20 games behind in the division, then we have a right to complain. We had a great team last year, and we have added offense, and allowed our young players to complete an entire season and offseason. The growth will come from them playing better ball incrementally, and Donaldson having a average year by his standards. If that happens, we picked up a Harper/Machado, and paid him $20 for one year and did not block our closest position player in the process. Pitching is the easiest to pickup midseason, if needed. There are always a starter or two that are on losing teams, who are having great years, and bullpen guys also. Let's all take a deep breath, and realize that we did not over pay for guys that may or may not may make us better, but hamstring us long term. If we missed and an opportunity, then we can discuss it. We cannot know the future, and, as such, we should trust the guys who hare making the decisions, and see where we are at the end of the first quarter. Make adjustments as needed. 

g-dawg likes this

44 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I thought the plan the whole time was to have all the young guys come up and be impactful. I thought that was the point of the rebuild. If the point was to buy players that could have been done long ago (with appropriate funding).

K26dp likes this

17 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

I thought the plan the whole time was to have all the young guys come up and be impactful. I thought that was the point of the rebuild. If the point was to buy players that could have been done long ago (with appropriate funding).

We need position players. We were told the rebuild is over. It's not going to cripple us if we trade some pitchers. I'm not saying go crazy, I'm saying this team as constructed isn't going to be much better than 1 and done again.

TRUju2111 likes this

49 minutes ago, Malachore said:

We need position players. We were told the rebuild is over. It's not going to cripple us if we trade some pitchers. I'm not saying go crazy, I'm saying this team as constructed isn't going to be much better than 1 and done again.

Not to be argumentative at all, but we did have 3 all stars out of 8 position players. And a silver slugger and 3 gold gloves. I do agree we could handle some upgrades there, but how many all stars would be enough? And we added Donaldson who if healthy could be an allstar. And those didn't include Acuna. Like I said, I agree we could handle an upgrade, but it isn't so bad. Especially considering the only falloff one might expect is Markakis. I would expect Freeman, the catcher spot, Inciarte to be flat on production. Then Albies, Acuna, and Swanson I hope improve. And the bench is light years better. We are a better team than what ended the year. And until the Nationals do something besides beat their chests and claim themselves the rulers of Asgard, I don't buy them doing much of nothing. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

3 hours ago, Dawggone said:

The sarcasm in this post is vastly underrated

K26dp likes this

32 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Not to be argumentative at all, but we did have 3 all stars out of 8 position players. And a silver slugger and 3 gold gloves. I do agree we could handle some upgrades there, but how many all stars would be enough? And we added Donaldson who if healthy could be an allstar. And those didn't include Acuna. Like I said, I agree we could handle an upgrade, but it isn't so bad. Especially considering the only falloff one might expect is Markakis. I would expect Freeman, the catcher spot, Inciarte to be flat on production. Then Albies, Acuna, and Swanson I hope improve. And the bench is light years better. We are a better team than what ended the year. And until the Nationals do something besides beat their chests and claim themselves the rulers of Asgard, I don't buy them doing much of nothing. 

I feel like Catcher wasn't upgraded, RF is likely worse, 3rd base is an upgrade IF Donaldson stays healthy. We still have the same rotation and guys like Sam Freeman still in the bullpen. We shouldn't hedge our bets that all these kids will improve when sophomore slumps are a real thing. Outside of the top 3 this lineup isn't scaring anyone.

Not too mention teams like the Nats, Reds, Mets and Phillies have all gotten better while teams like the Dodgers, Brewers, Cubs and Cardinals were already better than us.