Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,142 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

It is what it is, and unless a trade or something else supplants Nick - which if AA is to believed won't happen as he is our "everyday outfielder," it's a mistake to bet on a 35 year old projected for a measly 1 WAR that we should have done more to upgrade.

We can agree to disagree.

We did spend $23 million on a perennial MVP candidate. If Donaldson is healthy, Freeman, Acuna and him are enough to absolutely wreck on offense. Everything else is just a bonus.

1 hour ago, JDFIII said:

Ironically, they call us the microwave society now. If it doesn't immediately appease me, I don't care about it. We have time, money, and plenty of trade-able assets. If we start the season with this line up, then we will be fine. When we are in the hunt at mid-season, we can still trade for an outfielder. We can trade for a SP, and a closer. Give it 6 weeks or so, and then begin the pitch forks and torches if you do not like what you see..... We won 90 games last year, and it was with kids and vets. The kids are a year older, and likely a year better. If Dansby hits at league average, and Acuna continues to mature, and Ozzie play in 150, we are better than last year, because they are more mature and have a much higher Major League IQ. These are all things to consider. Sometimes you have to have the salad, and skip dessert. It is not as fun, but it better for you. If MArkakis does not play well, we have Duvall, Camargo, and Possibly Riley if they want to cross train him.

You can't look at it that way because last year we made a living beating up on the NL East this year the in NL East has gotten better across-the-board not to mention the NL as a whole.

1 minute ago, jidady said:

We did spend $23 million on a perennial MVP candidate. If Donaldson is healthy, Freeman, Acuna and him are enough to absolutely wreck on offense. Everything else is just a bonus.

Guess we better hope they all hit homers every it that because after them there aint much left.

And that's if Donaldson stays healthy.

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Either way.

Still a misleading, underwhelming and disappointing offseason so far.

One other point I'd make is that we didn't sign Anibal Sanchez until March 16th last year. He was one of our most important players in 2018.

ATLBrave and K26dp like this

Just now, jidady said:

One other point I'd make is that we didn't sign Anibal Sanchez until March 16th last year. He was one of our most important players in 2018.

Yes but sanchez was pretty much on his last leg as a major league player. He was the classic by low and hope for the best that a rebuilding team looks for.  At what point is this scheme going to move past deals like that and try to move past that?

I know people round here just call me negative and yes I admit I do speak from emotion more than I probably should but to say that this off season isn't disappointing so far is false.

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

Guess we better hope they all hit homers every it that because after them there aint much left.

Camargo looks like a stud, too. That makes our (arguably) 5th-7th best hitters Markakis, Ender, and Ozzie (in no particular order). Most teams would kill for that. Just once, think about this optimistically. What if:

Ozzie played the full year like he did the first two months

Markakis has an OBP over .360 again.

Ender gets 200 hits again.

Dansby, who is still light on professional baseball experience, levels up.

We have that PLUS perennial MVP candidates in Donaldson and Freeman plus The Future, Acuna.

I didn't want Markakis back either, but our situation is FAR from doom and gloom. It's just more Liberty Media nonsense, which we should all expect by now.

youngbloodz and ATLBrave like this

6 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I know people round here just call me negative and yes I admit I do speak from emotion more than I probably should but to say that this off season isn't disappointing so far is false.

I'm not going to argue with your emotions. You're welcome to them. Quite frankly, if this was the team that breaks camp in March, I'd be PO'd too.

But I would be stunned if more wasn't done. I think there's going to be a couple of trades once some of the high-roller free agents come off the board and teams can more clearly see what needs to happen.

If anything, I think this signing means there is *more* of a chance that we bring in a quality piece or two.

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Yes but sanchez was pretty much on his last leg as a major league player. He was the classic by low and hope for the best that a rebuilding team looks for.  At what point is this scheme going to move past deals like that and try to move past that?

First of all, thank you so much for acknowledging the second thing. Some of us do argue more from an emotional place. Others of us are too cold and logical, which is the category I'm in.

As to your question, I don't think we should ever move away from "buy low, sell high" as a business model. It's certainly better than the alternative. With baseball teams shying away from big budget contracts for questionable players, shopping in the bargain bin has more upside than at any other time over the past 20 years.

I still remember how we stole EOF and Venters back in the day. I'm fine with us employing that strategy rather than risking too much blindly, wishing and hoping rather than thinking in overly realistic terms. If we'd signed a more expensive player than Markakis, we'd feel better right now, but there's no guarantee we'd be happy about it in July. Remember that everyone celebrated the Matt Kemp deal 12 months ago. He was an All-Star this past year. Nobody knows what will happen next.

To an extent, I admire AA in that he's dispassionately chosen to avoid splashy headlines while helming a steady if unsexy offseason. After we signed Donaldson and brought back Mac, he seems to feel like we checked off all our biggest boxes. He's now looking for the right pieces for the start of the season, knowing that he can fill in the rest in July. That sort of restraint is extremely rare in sports management. Dude would be a scary poker player.

Malachore likes this

The Braves ownership just better realize that this city will not care for a .500 team after last year - they may not be as vocal as fans in other cities but they will just simply not show up for the games.

Markakis is a great influence in the clubhouse and they really got him pretty cheap but something has got to be improved on this roster.  So far, they have a big risk move in Donaldson but really nothing else (assuming McCann = Suzuki).

A solid closer or a top of the rotation starter is certainly reasonable with how low this payroll is right now compared to the rest of MLB.

I only fear that Liberty Media is not going to open their wallets unless the new park is absolutely empty.  

5 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

While I agree that we should be looking to add a couple more valuable pieces to the ML roster, people fail to realize, or at least mention, that unless we were looking to make wholesale changes to the lineup (e.g., replace some combination of Swanson, Ender, Ozzie), our team is only going to go as far as the kids allow us to. As far as Markakis is concerned, he’s essentially the same player as McCutchen, but a couple of years older and about $50m cheaper. Sure, Cutch could prove to have a resurgence in Philly because of the bandbox, but he ain’t getting that in Atlanta. If this is the last move AA makes and we go into the season with nothing else, by all means, burn the mother ****** down. In the mean time, just chill the **** out. It’s JANUARY. 

Exactly. Braves are banking on massive improvement from the young kids to make up for the difference and if that happens then we'll be fine. But if it doesn't, then we're in trouble come October. We can absolutely make it to October as currently constructed, but just making it isn't good enough anymore. It's been 18 years since they Braves made it passed the NLDS. That's a long **** time!

It was reported that the move Anthopolous said may be resolved soon is not Markakis. It is apparently a trade Anthopolous has made progress with. 

Jeff Passan also reporting hes hearing theres about to be a run on 1 or 2 year deals for bullpen arms. Braves could be in that mix.

7 hours ago, Malachore said:

I wouldn't count out Dansby and Albies improving this year

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Albies did say recently that he is working on being more patient and looking at his switch hitting mechanics (he was way better from the right side of the plate). If he can figure that out, combined with admitting he needs to change some personal things to be better prepared for the long season, I think he will be just fine. Swanson, I'm less bullish on.

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

We haven't scratched the surface on Albies, Swanson, or Newcomb yet. Organic improvement from most of the young guys shouldn't be discounted.

1 hour ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Albies did say recently that he is working on being more patient and looking at his switch hitting mechanics (he was way better from the right side of the plate). If he can figure that out, combined with admitting he needs to change some personal things to be better prepared for the long season, I think he will be just fine. Swanson, I'm less bullish on.

Dansby's wrist was apparently hurt after that Chicago series they said. Maybe there was something to it, but in stretches, he looked fine last year. I think he can get there 

52 minutes ago, K26dp said:

We haven't scratched the surface on Albies, Swanson, or Newcomb yet. Organic improvement from most of the young guys shouldn't be discounted.

Didn't even include Newcomb. Didn't think about him. Guys like Soroka and Touki could improve as well. 

4 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Dansby's wrist was apparently hurt after that Chicago series they said. Maybe there was something to it, but in stretches, he looked fine last year. I think he can get there 

This is true. I read it was a significant piece of cartilage, too. He's already very good defensively, but we need all the offense we can get with this lineup. Hopefully he becomes consistently average-to-above above there.

Just now, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

This is true. I read it was a significant piece of cartilage, too. He's already very good defensively, but we need all the offense we can get with this lineup. Hopefully he becomes consistently average-to-above above there.

If Donaldson plays well, and Albies/Swanson improve, this could be a good lineup. Maybe for once we can get 2nd half Inciarte for the full season...

Still wouldn't mind another bat though. 

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

It was reported that the move Anthopolous said may be resolved soon is not Markakis. It is apparently a trade Anthopolous has made progress with. 

Jeff Passan also reporting hes hearing theres about to be a run on 1 or 2 year deals for bullpen arms. Braves could be in that mix.

I think Markakas and Donaldson are 1 year fillers for Riley and Pache. But I still feel like we will make a move and wouldn't be surprised if Inciarte was dealt for a bigger bat in the OF

One thing that shouldn't be forgot when we jump at each other's throats because we see things differently is that we're all real true fans here. We all want the same thing. It's ok if we don't always agree on what the best way to get there is. But I love posting here and I love this Braves community. We may be small but we're passionate!! Go Braves!!

26 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Apparently its between us and red Sox for kimbrel.

That's according to Steak Shapiro on 680 the fan. Hes not an accurate source, hes just the host of the show.

Just now, Unkn0wn said:

That's according to Steak Shapiro on 680 the fan. Hes not an accurate source, hes just the host of the show.

And I have a hard time believing that given the Red Sox have said all winter they're not signing Kimbrel for big money and the Braves have never paid big money to a closer.

20 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

No Braves rumors are accurate at this point. 

52 minutes ago, Nereek said:

No Braves rumors are accurate at this point. 

Nope, Anthopolous is very well known for his ability to silence rumors.