Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,078 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Not even the season yet and already doggin the reigning NL MOY.. 

:lol:

Whether you agree with it or not it's a legitimate point that hitting 8th in the NL is one of the hardest spots to hit in baseball. I'm not gonna put up with another year of every time I say something that's not kissing Brian Snitker's *** you coming on here and pointing it out like he's your grandfather and making an OBJECTIVE point that is negative about him is total blasphemy. It just blows my ******* mind that you've got nothing better to do.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed in how the offseason is going. But, let's say Markakis bats .280 (not unreasonable) and Albies and Dansby both improve (again not unreasonable). I can see this team being more successful than last year if Donaldson stays healthy.

There are some ifs in those statements, so I hope we are not done. 

But I'll try and be patient. There is still time in this offseason. I really hope we make a move. 

JDFIII likes this

4 hours ago, Malachore said:

Hope I'm wrong but this team made a living beating up the NL East and was below .500 outside it. The Nats, Mets and Phillies have all gotten better.

We got a year older.

Maybe, but I still think we are better than the Mets and probably the Phillies. The Nationals added Corbin, but honestly, I think last year was as good as he gets. 

We can still win the division as currently constructed. It would be down to the wire, but it's doable. 

I don't think we can make it out of the first round however. Maybe we have a trick up our sleeve for Realmuto, Haniger or someone. I know AA said we are done looking at OF's, but who knows. 

If we only make more move and it's Kimbrel, I would be frustrated. 

7 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Whether you agree with it or not it's a legitimate point that hitting 8th in the NL is one of the hardest spots to hit in baseball. I'm not gonna put up with another year of every time I say something that's not kissing Brian Snitker's *** you coming on here and pointing it out like he's your grandfather and making an OBJECTIVE point that is negative about him is total blasphemy. It just blows my ******* mind that you've got nothing better to do.

Lmao.. wooooooooooow. 

5 hours ago, K26dp said:

It's a shame the season starts tomorrow and the Braves didn't do more to get better.

Oh wait... Opening Day is still 9 weeks away? Carry on then.

I know right.. :munch:

K26dp likes this

Markakis was asked if he was angry about having to take $4M for 2019. He replied by saying "no, I play a kids game and get paid a lot of money, how could I be?" He added his sons were the deciding factor. He asked them where he should play and they all said Atlanta, he couldn't say no to them.

7 hours ago, K26dp said:

It's a shame the season starts tomorrow and the Braves didn't do more to get better.

Oh wait... Opening Day is still 9 weeks away? Carry on then.

You mean you didn't want a 36 year old that is halfway through a 10 year/$240 million deal? Can't understand why 

K26dp likes this

I think Braves are done. Braves haven't done anything to really improve this team. AA is betting on last years team to reach the playoffs again.

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm not just talking about the division, and the Nationals are the only team that could be ahead of the Braves in division as things currently stand. I was talking about the NL as a whole has gotten much better and the Braves haven't. I'm not good with only making the playoffs again just to lose in the NLDS yet again. But as of right now if the Braves had to face say the Dodgers, Cubs or Nationals in the NLDS, I don't see the Braves winning any of those series.

While I agree that we should be looking to add a couple more valuable pieces to the ML roster, people fail to realize, or at least mention, that unless we were looking to make wholesale changes to the lineup (e.g., replace some combination of Swanson, Ender, Ozzie), our team is only going to go as far as the kids allow us to. As far as Markakis is concerned, he’s essentially the same player as McCutchen, but a couple of years older and about $50m cheaper. Sure, Cutch could prove to have a resurgence in Philly because of the bandbox, but he ain’t getting that in Atlanta. If this is the last move AA makes and we go into the season with nothing else, by all means, burn the mother ****** down. In the mean time, just chill the **** out. It’s JANUARY. 

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Markakis was asked if he was angry about having to take $4M for 2019. He replied by saying "no, I play a kids game and get paid a lot of money, how could I be?" He added his sons were the deciding factor. He asked them where he should play and they all said Atlanta, he couldn't say no to them.

Rotten kids....

ATLBrave likes this

Also, I think someone else posted this, but it's still a good quote:

“In terms of the different performance in the last two months of the year, we took a look at this, and it was really from the middle of August until the end, the last six weeks,” Anthopoulos said. “And the one thing is, Nick still hit the ball extremely hard. His exit velocities were still very good at the end, and we do think there’s a fatigue component to it — he just hit the ball on the ground a little bit more.

“But we think that with more rest, we’d expect him to have the potential to maintain the performance he had the first 4½ months. So, if there had been underlying numbers that gave us less confidence in him being able to repeat his performance, that would have potentially impacted things. The numbers are what they are, but it was really the last six weeks. And all the other underlying characteristics still point to someone that was playing well.”

- Quote from AA in an Athletic article posted by DOB yesterday.

“I had a multi-year deal with more guaranteed money on the table. But at this point in my career, I had that luxury of deciding what I want to do, and returning to the Braves was my No. 1 interest and something that I wanted to do and my family wanted to do. I couldn’t be more happy with the decision that we made.”

- Quote from Markakis in the same article

Quote from DOB in the comments of the article I referenced above -

Comment - "David, you don't think was the move AA was referring to on Saturday when he said there was something near 70% complete with nothing left but details on the add-ons. It sure sounded like he was talking about a trade. Did that fall through? Or is that still in play?"

DOB - "No, that was a trade. And I asked him directly about it tonight. He wouldn’t say if it was for a pitcher or outfielder because he said it MIGHT still be in play and he didn’t want to say anything more."

Bleh, Markakis is another year older on the wrong side of 35. Thinking he will replicate his career year that was bouyed by a ridiculous first half (but sub-replacement second half) is a loser's bet. I've dug deep and read up on the data, and his sabermetric stats ebbed and flowed throughout the season-not just exclusive to the second half. His counting stats certainly took a nosedive in the second half, but digging deeper, it wouldn't really suggest fatigue. 

I like Markakis the person, just not as our mostly - everyday starting RF. Would have been fine as an everyday bench player. 

Malachore likes this

From what I gather Anthopolous is focused on bullpen and bench. He'll acquire a SP if the right deal comes but hes fine where hes at rotation wise.

9 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Bleh, Markakis is another year older on the wrong side of 35. Thinking he will replicate his career year that was bouyed by a ridiculous first half (but sub-replacement second half) is a loser's bet. I've dug deep and read up on the data, and his sabermetric stats ebbed and flowed throughout the season-not just exclusive to the second half. His counting stats certainly took a nosedive in the second half, but digging deeper, it wouldn't really suggest fatigue. 

I like Markakis the person, just not as our mostly - everyday starting RF. Would have been fine as an everyday bench player. 

Every player's advanced stats will "ebb and flow" throughout the course of a season. Looking through Fangraphs fleshes out almost exactly what AA is saying in regards to the final two months, with a relatively similar LD% and a massive uptick in GB% in SEPT/OCT. His GB/FB ratio went from ~1.50 for most of the season to 3.00 during the aforementioned months. I'm not sure what data you're looking at, but not sure it holds up to scrutiny. 

I don't care what anyone says call me negative call me Eyor, call me what you want but this signing just prove they had no intention of competing this year either.

He literally went from telling us that he was looking to require a power hitting outfielder to back clean up. To being 70% done on a trade.  To then making us think he sighed Nick so he could go out and get a starting pitcher and some bullpen help. To now looking to get bullpen help which is thin right now on the market and bench bats.

You signed a bench bath when you sighed Nick, this all season has did nothing but a giant terd in the toilet.

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

Quote from DOB in the comments of the article I referenced above -

Comment - "David, you don't think was the move AA was referring to on Saturday when he said there was something near 70% complete with nothing left but details on the add-ons. It sure sounded like he was talking about a trade. Did that fall through? Or is that still in play?"

DOB - "No, that was a trade. And I asked him directly about it tonight. He wouldn’t say if it was for a pitcher or outfielder because he said it MIGHT still be in play and he didn’t want to say anything more."

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I don't care what anyone says call me negative call me Eyor, call me what you want but this signing just prove they had no intention of competing this year either.

He literally went from telling us that he was looking to require a power hitting outfielder to back clean up. To being 70% done on a trade.  To then making us think he sighed Nick so he could go out and get a starting pitcher and some bullpen help. To now looking to get bullpen help which is thin right now on the market and bench bats.

You signed a bench bath when you sighed Nick, this all season has did nothing but a giant terd in the toilet.

See above quote.

40 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Every player's advanced stats will "ebb and flow" throughout the course of a season. Looking through Fangraphs fleshes out almost exactly what AA is saying in regards to the final two months, with a relatively similar LD% and a massive uptick in GB% in SEPT/OCT. His GB/FB ratio went from ~1.50 for most of the season to 3.00 during the aforementioned months. I'm not sure what data you're looking at, but not sure it holds up to scrutiny. 

Since you asked, this commenter (Ivan the Great) from Talking Chop summarizes what i found regarding AA's statement on Markakis, "Anthopoulos says amid Markakis' dip, still saw high exit velocity and believe with rest, can maintain early-season production:"

MaSlGB3.png

Blue line is Markakis, black line is his one-week moving average, red is league average, green is league 75th percentile. I’m not really sure I buy it. Like it’s not that wrong, but it’s not that right either. His really good exit velocity came midseason, then cratered, then recovered. I’m not sure he really wore down versus it just being the vagaries of baseball.

It was good in April-May, got great in June, but then fell back in July, a month where there’s a lot of rest built in. It then fell a tiny bit in August and rebounded pretty high in September. So it doesn’t seem to line up with the statement. And we already knew that Markakis was generally good at contact (top quintile exit velo in 2018) and rode that to a top quartile xwOBA last year. But how much does anyone want to bet on that repeating as he ages? And his defense?

ATLBrave likes this

2 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Since you asked, this commenter (Ivan the Great) from Talking Chop summarizes what i found regarding AA's statement on Markakis, "Anthopoulos says amid Markakis' dip, still saw high exit velocity and believe with rest, can maintain early-season production:"

Thanks for sharing. 

It is what it is, and unless a trade or something else supplants Nick - which if AA is to believed won't happen as he is our "everyday outfielder," it's a mistake to bet on a 35 year old projected for a measly 1 WAR that we should have done more to upgrade.

We can agree to disagree.

49 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I don't care what anyone says call me negative call me Eyor...

It's spelled "Eeyore". 

Ironically, they call us the microwave society now. If it doesn't immediately appease me, I don't care about it. We have time, money, and plenty of trade-able assets. If we start the season with this line up, then we will be fine. When we are in the hunt at mid-season, we can still trade for an outfielder. We can trade for a SP, and a closer. Give it 6 weeks or so, and then begin the pitch forks and torches if you do not like what you see..... We won 90 games last year, and it was with kids and vets. The kids are a year older, and likely a year better. If Dansby hits at league average, and Acuna continues to mature, and Ozzie play in 150, we are better than last year, because they are more mature and have a much higher Major League IQ. These are all things to consider. Sometimes you have to have the salad, and skip dessert. It is not as fun, but it better for you. If MArkakis does not play well, we have Duvall, Camargo, and Possibly Riley if they want to cross train him.

ATLBrave and TheTrue7 like this

5 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Stuff like this is why it's so easy to root for him. Markakis wins at life.

4 minutes ago, K26dp said:

It's spelled "Eeyore". 

Either way.

Still a misleading, underwhelming and disappointing offseason so far.