Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, jidady said:

Same as it ever was. But we'll have Acuna, so I don't care.

You don't care that this team is currently the 3rd or 4th best team in this division?

21 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

I get that what was left in FA had warts, major question marks about health, or otherwise wouldn't be worth the cost financially for the production. 

What really irks me is that he couldn't find a trade worthy with all these highly - rated minor league pitchers we have. I  get that it takes two to tango, but it's not like our minor league assets are crap - they aren't. And we have lots of them. 

Burns me up the more I think about it. 

Because he likely overvalued the prospects much like Wren did with Viz, Delgado and Julio.

As of right now AA has done nothing for this team since inheriting it. 

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Because he likely overvalued the prospects much like Wren did with Viz, Delgado and Julio.

As of right now AA has done nothing for this team since inheriting it. 

He signed an injury prone 3rd baseman... so there's that. Oh and brought back McCann.

9 minutes ago, Nereek said:

He signed an injury prone 3rd baseman... so there's that. Oh and brought back McCann.

Don't forget he also traded for O'day and his 9.5 million salary whose also coming off season ending surgery. 

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Trades are still an option. Payroll can be used in signings or trade.

Obviously we don't know what they know but I don't see anyone out there that's going to cost much other than Greinke and they better be getting Peralta or their closer along with him.

1 hour ago, Nereek said:

Doubt it happens this season. 

As long as he's healthy and gets 600 at bats, he'll get MVP votes this year.

4 minutes ago, jidady said:

627392.jpg?b64lines=IEJBUlQgSEFWRSBZT1UKIFJFQUQgVEhFIEJPWSBXSE8gQ1JJRUQKIFdPTEY_IA==

Hope I'm wrong but this team made a living beating up the NL East and was below .500 outside it. The Nats, Mets and Phillies have all gotten better.

We got a year older.

34 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Hope I'm wrong but this team made a living beating up the NL East and was below .500 outside it. The Nats, Mets and Phillies have all gotten better.

We got a year older.

The Phillies vastly overperformed last year as evident by their collapse late in the season. Yeah, Segura is a nice little upgrade for them, but that rotation after Nola is a huge question mark and their other signing has been essentially Markakis. They’ve got a long way to go and don’t have an offensive player even close to the level of Freddie or even Acuna. Not to mention Donaldson if he remains healthy. Won’t even bother hashing out the Nats and Mets situations. They got better, but still have a handful of question marks (not to mention that they could be potentially missing their best hitter). 

Fact of the matter remains, the Braves have the best long-term outlook of any team in the division with players already on their roster and a couple of younger hitters on the cusp of the big club. If we were sliding towards the end of the window, freaking the **** out would be appropriate, but the team decided to put themselves ahead of schedule. Blowing our load in offseason 1 of the window being opened is a sure-fire way to find it closed pretty quick. 

14 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

The Phillies vastly overperformed last year as evident by their collapse late in the season. Yeah, Segura is a nice little upgrade for them, but that rotation after Nola is a huge question mark and their other signing has been essentially Markakis. They’ve got a long way to go and don’t have an offensive player even close to the level of Freddie or even Acuna. Not to mention Donaldson if he remains healthy. Won’t even bother hashing out the Nats and Mets situations. They got better, but still have a handful of question marks (not to mention that they could be potentially missing their best hitter). 

Fact of the matter remains, the Braves have the best long-term outlook of any team in the division with players already on their roster and a couple of younger hitters on the cusp of the big club. If we were sliding towards the end of the window, freaking the **** out would be appropriate, but the team decided to put themselves ahead of schedule. Blowing our load in offseason 1 of the window being opened is a sure-fire way to find it closed pretty quick. 

I'm tired of waiting. We were told to wait till they got here. Then we were told to wait because we were a year early. We were told we'd have more $$$$ and now we're being told to wait again.

This is the same team that got railroaded in the NLDS. I'm tired of waiting man, I'm sorry it's been long enough.

I don't think anyone wanted us to "blow our load," though. Anyone wanting that is foolish. 

What many wanted, me included, was for us to finally cash in from our plethora of minor league assets to make clear upgrades across the board that would allow us to stay on top of the division with improved offense, pitching, and bench. We've only done one of those things by swapping Camargo for Donaldson. 

Since Kakes will be our "everyday RF, " unless they upgrade Catcher with a Realmuto or similarly-gifted Catcher by trade, our offense won't be much, if any, better next year - especially if Donaldson goes down again. AA has already said our offense from the second half and playoffs wasn't going to cut it - and he hasn't done much to clearly upgrade there. 

Moves are still there to be made sure, but it looks like any next moves will be small or will focus on pitching or small bench roles. 

Without some other major moves, I'm thinking 2019 season will look a lot like what many expected 2018 to be. 

Malachore and Falconsfan567 like this

I mean, Ozzie was pretty awful the second half of the season. If he can improve to have an even performance, then you get a lot better there. Obviously it’s a big if for Donaldson staying healthy, but I think people are selling short just how dominant of a hitter he is. If he’s that, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better 1, 2, 3 in Acuna, Donaldson & Freeman in all of baseball.  

Just now, ATLBrave said:

I mean, Ozzie was pretty awful the second half of the season. If he can improve to have an even performance, then you get a lot better there. Obviously it’s a big if for Donaldson staying healthy, but I think people are selling short just how dominant of a hitter he is. If he’s that, you’d be hard-pressed to find a better 1, 2, 3 in Acuna, Donaldson & Freeman in all of baseball.  

The problem is after 1-2-3 there isn't much to worry about. If Nick hits 5th then that's very underwhelming. 

Any other washed up former Braves out there that anyone wants to bring back? Now is the time apparently.

9 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Any other washed up former Braves out there that anyone wants to bring back? Now is the time apparently.

Jonny Venters!

2 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Yes. The Braves have the best LONG-TERM hope of any team in the division but I think you're kidding yourself a bit if you don't legitimately think the Braves will have tough sledding in 2019 because of all the teams in the NL that have got better (at least on paper). The Braves outside of Josh Donaldson are the exact same team we were in 2018. Unless there is massive improvement from the young players, it's gonna be extremely difficult for the Braves to repeat as division champs in 2019. It's honestly very disappointing because this was the offseason that everyone has been talking about for a long time and the Braves have made 1 mega addition, and he's a guy who we're hoping has his injury problems behind him and will suit up for 150 games this year, but is far from a guarantee of that happening. I think it's fair to be disappointed in the lack of moves made by AA in the little over a year that he's been on the job.

13 minutes ago, jidady said:

Jonny Venters!

We already have him.

I was thinking more along the lines of :

Brandon Phillips

Melky Cabrera

Boone Logan

Peter Moylan

Cameron Maybin

Eric Young Jr.

Evan Gattis

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes. The Braves have the best LONG-TERM hope of any team in the division but I think you're kidding yourself a bit if you don't legitimately think the Braves will have tough sledding in 2019 because of all the teams in the NL that have got better (at least on paper). The Braves outside of Josh Donaldson are the exact same team we were in 2018. Unless there is massive improvement from the young players, it's gonna be extremely difficult for the Braves to repeat as division champs in 2019. It's honestly very disappointing because this was the offseason that everyone has been talking about for a long time and the Braves have made 1 mega addition, and he's a guy who we're hoping has his injury problems behind him and will suit up for 150 games this year, but is far from a guarantee of that happening. I think it's fair to be disappointed in the lack of moves made by AA in the little over a year that he's been on the job.

All AA has done is kick the can down the road another year. He's done absolutely nothing in over a year to help this team long term. The lack of action and Liberty Media not giving a **** about this fan base has really turned me off.

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

Except that's not gonna be the 1, 2, 3. We're gonna be forced to put Ender and his career 1st half .314 OBP back in the leadoff spot because our manager thinks like it's 1985 and you've got to have a "speed" guy in the lead off spot in order to be successful when that's just not true. This is the same guy that refuses to give Dansby Swanson any help by moving him out of the 8th spot and putting him into a spot where there's less pressure on him. He doesn't seem to understand that hitting 8th in front of the pitcher is one of the toughest jobs in baseball because you're riding a fence between "will the pitcher pitch to me or is he gonna throw me nothing but junk hoping I get myself out trying to get on base so the pitcher can bunt me over?" That's a terrible spot to put a young hitter in, especially in 2 outs runners on base situations. I can't tell you how many times I heard Joe Simpson say after a walk by the 8th place hitter in those situations (That's a bad walk. You as the 8th place hitter have to expand your zone and try to get a hit and not leave it up to the pitcher.) That's not the kind of pressure and spot we want Dansby in. Brian Snitker doesn't understand that. Bobby Cox did understood that, which is why you very rarely ever saw him put a young hitter in the 8th spot.

If I had my way with the lineup, with the current guys we've got, I'd ask myself, what is Nick Markakis best asset offensive? That answer is easy, he gets on base!!! So, knowing that Markakis gets on base at a very high clip and that is his best asset, I'd hit him second. I love Acuna in the leadoff spot because scoring in the 1st inning is huge. I don't have a way to look this up but I've gotta believe that the winning percentage of teams that score in the 1st inning is easily over .700. Probably a lot higher than that. The amount of energy and momentum that Acuna generated in games in 2018 with leadoff homeruns was amazing. I don't want to lose that. Here's the order I'd run out there if I was calling the shots.

1. Ronald Acuna
  2. Nick Markakis
  3. Freddie Freeman
  4. Josh Donaldson
  5. Ozzie Albies
  6. Dansby Swanson
  7. Tyler Flowers/B-Mac
  8. Ender Inciarte

The only draw back that one could possibly have with this lineup is hitting Markakis and Freeman back-to-back at the top of the order with the potential to clog up the bases, but it's something that I'm willing to live with to take advantage of Markakis and his career .358 OBP.

I'm also not opposed to trying Dansby Swanson at the top of the order if he's hitting like he did last April before the wrist issues popped up and hampered him the rest of the way. He hit over .300 last April and was just ripping everything in sight.

19 minutes ago, Ransack said:

We already have him.

That's the joke! And it worked pretty well!

PS: I wouldn't sleep on Gattis.

16 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Where has anyone said it’s not going to be difficult? People are out here freaking out because the Phillies have signed or traded for some decent players when they were already a good ways behind us in terms of overall talent. The Mets, for all of their moves, can’t ever stay healthy and don’t really have an offensive player comparable to the Braves top 3. Conforto is nice, but not without his warts. After that, they’ve got two 35+ year old infielders, a SS who’s been worse offensively than adamantly, a pedestrian 1B, and two solid hitters in Ramos & Nimmo. The Nats, as expected, are going to be the team to beat in the division, but what team has underperformed more in their exsistence than Washington?

Atlanta still needs pieces, y’all aren’t wrong. But acting like we’ve dropped from 1st place to barely above the Marlins is ******* laughable at best. Just chill the **** out and save your *****ing for the ******** game threads. Y’all do enough of it there to last the whole year. 

4 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Where has anyone said it’s not going to be difficult? People are out here freaking out because the Phillies have signed or traded for some decent players when they were already a good ways behind us in terms of overall talent. The Mets, for all of their moves, can’t ever stay healthy and don’t really have an offensive player comparable to the Braves top 3. Conforto is nice, but not without his warts. After that, they’ve got two 35+ year old infielders, a SS who’s been worse offensively than adamantly, a pedestrian 1B, and two solid hitters in Ramos & Nimmo. The Nats, as expected, are going to be the team to beat in the division, but what team has underperformed more in their exsistence than Washington?

Atlanta still needs pieces, y’all aren’t wrong. But acting like we’ve dropped from 1st place to barely above the Marlins is ******* laughable at best. Just chill the **** out and save your *****ing for the ******** game threads. Y’all do enough of it there to last the whole year. 

I'm not just talking about the division, and the Nationals are the only team that could be ahead of the Braves in division as things currently stand. I was talking about the NL as a whole has gotten much better and the Braves haven't. I'm not good with only making the playoffs again just to lose in the NLDS yet again. But as of right now if the Braves had to face say the Dodgers, Cubs or Nationals in the NLDS, I don't see the Braves winning any of those series.

ATL Fan in the DMV and tl;dr like this