Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

1,990 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

The deal is $4 million, with a $6 million option for 2020 or a $2 million buy-out.

This is a great deal, even if he ends up on the bench or as the bigger half of a platoon.

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Anthopolous basically said he went cheap to spend the money elsewhere. I'm sure that means pitching. 

If that's the case then what was the point of taking 50 pitchers in the past 4-5 drafts?

1 minute ago, Ransack said:

If that's the case then what was the point of taking 50 pitchers in the past 4-5 drafts?

He might take a swing at Kimbrel. We also know he had interest in an established vet SP. I would imagine bullpen is a bigger need.

Bowman confirmed the Braves will now focus on adding elsewhere. The OF will be the same. He said the Braves never budged on their initial offer to Markakis. On Sunday Markakis gave up on his demands, put ink on paper today.

Just now, Ransack said:

He just needs to stop talking.

Part of the analytical approach. They crunched the numbers and came up with it.

This is a huge disappointment. I hated the deal if he was starting, and still hated it, although less, if he was strictly on the bench. But alas, here we are. What a huge, huge disappointment. 

And now we thrust Inciarte, one of our worst hitters with his low OBP skills , back into the leadoff role to? Sigh. Terrible, just terrible. 

So that middling offense in the playoffs that AA said needed to get better... Didn't at all with this move. And our rivals have made significant strides to get better. Ugh!

Falconsfan567 and Malachore like this

The Braves are one Josh Donaldson injury from having the exact same offense they ran out there last year against the Dodgers that was 1 Ronald Acuna Grand Slam away from scoring a grand total of 4 runs in 4 games. Seriously, I have no idea how anyone can be "happy" right now.

Are you ******* serious? We really signed a guy who was our worst player in the 2nd half and wasn't worth his contract for 80% of his time here AND HE'S GOING TO BE THE EVERYDAY RFer?

All this money all these prospects and we are basically the exact team that got big brothered by LAD.

1 hour ago, Ransack said:

Bingo...

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Anthopolous basically said he went cheap to spend the money elsewhere. I'm sure that means pitching. 

How's he going to do that when there's 1 good starter and less relievers by the day.

He let this team overachieving last year get to his head. Just like the 2016 Falcons did.

1 hour ago, Ransack said:

It's not his fault that the previous administration had tunnel vision.

It is his fault that we're going to give Kakes 450 at bats this year. 

Malachore likes this

Just now, Malachore said:

How's he going to do that when there's 1 good starter and less relievers by the day.

He let this team overachieving last year get to his head. Just like the 2016 Falcons did.

Trades are still an option. Payroll can be used in signings or trade.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Let's be honest, he went cheap because of liberty told him too.

2 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Let's be honest, he went cheap because of liberty told him too.

Same as it ever was. But we'll have Acuna, so I don't care.

I get that what was left in FA had warts, major question marks about health, or otherwise wouldn't be worth the cost financially for the production. 

What really irks me is that he couldn't find a trade worthy with all these highly - rated minor league pitchers we have. I  get that it takes two to tango, but it's not like our minor league assets are crap - they aren't. And we have lots of them. 

Burns me up the more I think about it. 

Just now, jidady said:

Same as it ever was. But we'll have Acuna, so I don't care.

Which he may end up regressing this season.