Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,042 posts in this topic

The deal is $4 million, with a $6 million option for 2020 or a $2 million buy-out.

This is a great deal, even if he ends up on the bench or as the bigger half of a platoon.

JDFIII likes this

Re-signing Nick Markakis is the biggest disappointment since Craig Kimbrel was traded. This absolutely sucks! 2018 was such a fluke!! Now we get to go out there and see Markakis go back to being a 1 WAR player in 2019 and regret that they were so cheap when they had money to burn

youngbloodz likes this

3 minutes ago, K26dp said:

The deal is $4 million, with a $6 million option for 2020 or a $2 million buy-out.

This is a great deal, even if he ends up on the bench or as the bigger half of a platoon.

But he won't. Nick Markakis will start 155 games for the Braves in 2019. I would bet my life on it!! This absolutely ******* sucks!!! There is no justification for the Braves having all this money to spend and not getting an upgrade in the outfield.

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

But he won't. Nick Markakis will start 155 games for the Braves in 2019. I would bet my life on it!! This absolutely ******* sucks!!! There is no justification for the Braves having all this money to spend and not getting an upgrade in the outfield.

No bat, no bullpen help, this is a joke.

Hmmmm I'd like him for bench depth, but that is Duvall...hmmmm not sure what to think of this. 

I thought we'd atleast try and upgrade here. 

Our offseason sucked balls. Signed a injuried prone 3rd basemen, still no pitchers that can take us far in the playoffs, still no closer. 

Where is the Toronto Blue Jays version of Alex Antropoulos at? So far he leaves much to be desired. Braves were supposed to be big time money spenders this offseason and instead they've made only 2 FA additions and no trades. So disappointed.

Markakis must have had little market to agree to $6M.

Braves still have plenty of wiggle room to add another player. Payroll sits at $110M now.

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Where is the Toronto Blue Jays version of Alex Antropoulos at? So far he leaves much to be desired. Braves were supposed to be big time money spenders this offseason and instead they've made only 2 FA additions and no trades. So disappointed.

Theres still time. Anthopolous is just seeming very cautious with his highly regarded system. He might be saving the big splash for July.

This is a really disappointing turn of events. I adore him as a person, but he's I didn't want him back on the team.

I mean it is probably good value in a vacuum. But for what we were looking for, it doesn't much fit. I mean maybe, but not really what we expected. There has to be another move coming at least with pitching.

11 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Markakis must have had little market to agree to $6M.

Braves still have plenty of wiggle room to add another player. Payroll sits at $110M now.

People keep saying that but there seems to be zero inclination to make an offer for any sort of multi year player.

1 minute ago, Ransack said:

People keep saying that but there seems to be zero inclination to make an offer for any sort of multi year player.

I agree, it is a little disheartening right now given all the hype we heard. Still some time though. 

17 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Liberty media

Gotta love Twitter. Got some clown questioning my fandom because I said this move is the biggest disappointment as a fan as since Kimbrel was traded. Gotta love Twitter ********.

Could the intention be to move on from Duvall and have Markakis fill that role as a platoon or rotational/rest and bench player.  For the difference in salary, I'd rather have Markakis.  If so, we would still be able to make another move.

I agree with K26dp that this is a great deal for us.  I guarantee that there are GM's out there kicking themselves for not making this deal happen for their team.  He's not my first choice, or probably my 10th, but he brings stability and a veteran presence.

4 minutes ago, mookie3127 said:

Could the intention be to move on from Duvall and have Markakis fill that role as a platoon or rotational/rest and bench player.  For the difference in salary, I'd rather have Markakis.  If so, we would still be able to make another move.

I agree with K26dp that this is a great deal for us.  I guarantee that there are GM's out there kicking themselves for not making this deal happen for their team.  He's not my first choice, or probably my 10th, but he brings stability and a veteran presence.

I'll believe it when I see it. Right now I'd bet my life on Markakis hitting 4th and starting in RF against the Phillies on March 28th.

If other moves follow that improve other areas of the team, then yeah! Markakis deal is fine. If nothing else follows and we have the current roster come March 28th, then it will be such a disappointing offseason.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That "other" thing should have been finding a long term outfielder.