Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

@K26dp Remember how we discussed the idea of the Braves maybe one day starting their own TV network, especially since LM is a media cable giant and it would be right down their alley? Well I just read that 2019 is the last year of the Cubs deal with NBC/Comcast and that they're going to launch their own TV network for 2020. That seems to be the growing trend for teams to make even more money that they can pump back into the team. We've seen it with the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets and now the Cubs are on their way to doing that. If the Braves ever want to attempt to get back into the top 10 on the yearly payroll scale they've got to find a way to generate more money from TV exposure. It's also not a surprise that teams are taking TV matters into their own hands as these regional sports networks shuffle hands more often than than some people change underwear. The other added benefit to having your own TV network is the ability to market it to the entire nation and not just cap off your fan base at a regional level.

I also wonder if this trend of teams creating their own TV networks gains steam if it will finally force MLB's hand to dump the severely outdated blackout rules and finally allow folks the option to get MLB.tv to watch the local team.

K26dp likes this

59 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Please be Mitch Haniger!! Please be Mitch Haniger!! Please be Mitch Haniger!! Please be Mitch Haniger!!

*fingers crossed*

He's been mentioned a lot though.

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Not in rumors to the Braves.

Hasn't AA done this in the past? Go get guys that were not connected to his organization at all?

Just now, tl;dr said:

Hasn't AA done this in the past? Go get guys that were not connected to his organization at all?

Yes. That's why he's considered the ninja GM. He does things that nobody seems coming like the Kemp trade last offseason. There was no talk at all and then it happened. I'm hoping that this comes true and we finally get a legit cleanup hitter since we're gonna hit Josh Donaldson 2nd. I don't wanna move Acuna out the lead off spot. He should stay there and be the Braves version of George Springer. The tone he was able to set in so many games last year with a lead off homerun is invaluable. I don't know what the winning percentage is for teams that score in the 1st inning but I bet it's through the roof.

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Not in rumors to the Braves.

What I got from that was that the clear himself has not been in the rumor mill at all.

10 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Mystery man is Mike Trout!!!

loljk

I was on one of the Braves Facebook pages earlier and someone said that mlb.com mentioned Cody Bellinger but I couldn't find anything on it.

15 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I was on one of the braves Facebook pages earlier and someone said that mlb.com mentioned Cody bellenger but I couldn't find anything on it.

That would be interesting. Would give us the ability to slide into 1st when Freddie needed a day off as well. Doubt the Dodgers part with him though

Dodgers refused to trade Bellinger for Realmuto. We aren't getting him. They are listening on Joc Pederson.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Dodgers refused to trade Bellinger for Realmuto. We aren't getting him. They are listening on Joc Pederson.

Gross.

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Gross.

I don't think we're involved. Pederson is a big bat but he can't hit lefties. Hes hitting .181 career against LHP. 

Malachore likes this

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

I don't think we're involved. Pederson is a big bat but he can't hit lefties. Hes hitting .181 career against LHP. 

No, he doesn't hit lefties, but we've still got Duvall. I can realistically see the Braves trading for Pederson and running a platoon of him and Duvall out there. Still the vast majority of pitchers are righties Pederson would still get the bulk of the playing time and he's a career .239/.355/.487 (.842) hitter against righties. I could live with that.

Heyman confirmed the Braves have talked to LA about Pederson. We dont know if the talks progressed at all. 

19 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Yuck

Ah yes, who needs a guy who just absolutely crushes righties and could be platooned with say Camargo who absolutely crushes lefties. Braves don't need that!! Let's just bring back Markakis!!

11 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Seriously, you guys don't want this player on the Braves? It's laughable!!

Now, you're talking my language.  The guy has pop, something we've missed in right field since...Justice(?)

45 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Ah yes, who needs a guy who just absolutely crushes righties and could be platooned with say Camargo who absolutely crushes lefties. Braves don't need that!! Let's just bring back Markakis!!

Cant hit lefties.

5 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Cant hit lefties.

True, but as stated, we probably see more righties in a season.  Plus there are other options like Camargo and (gasp) Duvall.

13 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Now, you're talking my language.  The guy has pop, something we've missed in right field since...Justice(?)

I think you're forgetting a guy named Gary Sheffield? LOL! We also had J.D. Drew for a year and he swatted 34 long balls and probably should have won MVP in 2004. We also had Frenchy and Heyward have years when they hit 29 homeruns. As for team homeruns, Braves have lacked overall power for a while now.

• 2006 = 222 Homeruns (2nd)
  • 2007 = 176 Homeruns (12th)
  • 2008 = 130 Homeruns (23rd)
  • 2009 = 149 Homeruns (22nd)
  • 2010 = 139 Homeruns (20th)
  • 2011 = 173 Homeruns (8th)
  • 2012 = 149 Homeruns (T-19th)
  • 2013 = 181 Homeruns (5th)
  • 2014 = 123 Homeruns (23rd)
  • 2015 = 100 Homeruns (30th)
  • 2016 = 122 Homeruns (30th)
  • 2017 = 165 Homeruns (28th)
  • 2018 = 175 Homeruns (19th)

I knew it had been a long time since the Braves hit 200 homeruns as a team but dayum!!!

16 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think you're forgetting a guy named Gary Sheffield? LOL! We also had J.D. Drew for a year and he swatted 34 long balls and probably should have won MVP in 2004. We also had Frenchy and Heyward have years when they hit 29 homeruns. As for team homeruns, Braves have lacked overall power for a while now.

• 2006 = 222 Homeruns (2nd)
  • 2007 = 176 Homeruns (12th)
  • 2008 = 130 Homeruns (23rd)
  • 2009 = 149 Homeruns (22nd)
  • 2010 = 139 Homeruns (20th)
  • 2011 = 173 Homeruns (8th)
  • 2012 = 149 Homeruns (T-19th)
  • 2013 = 181 Homeruns (5th)
  • 2014 = 123 Homeruns (23rd)
  • 2015 = 100 Homeruns (30th)
  • 2016 = 122 Homeruns (30th)
  • 2017 = 165 Homeruns (28th)
  • 2018 = 175 Homeruns (19th)

I knew it had been a long time since the Braves hit 200 homeruns as a team but dayum!!!

I thought Sheff was in left...

J.D. Drew...yeah, completely forgot about him...

1 minute ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I thought Sheff was in left...

J.D. Drew...yeah, completely forgot about him...

No. Sheffield played RF because Chipper played LF because we had Vinny Castilla at 3B. That is when Chipper started having all the leg issues because he was running a whole lot more than he was used to and his body started breaking down because of it.

We gonna have to make a move soon. I mean who ever we trade for we do want to be eligible for postseason play