Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,059 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, jidady said:

Short answer: because the nature of media consumption has fundamentally changed. This is actually my wheelhouse as I write about cord cutting a lot. DAZN, FITE, Stadium, and others have given unprecedented options to professional sports teams. Smart organizations will explore them. We have Liberty, so...

But MLB will never allow it because of their MLB Extra Innings deal. Like I said, MLB won't even let you watch MLB Network on streaming devices because there is no MLB Network app. We'd get that before we'd ever get a team to be allowed to exclusively broadcast their games online. I'm one of said cord cutters and it pisses me off to no end that the only way I can watch MLB Network is to pull it up on my computer.

39 minutes ago, jidady said:

The situation's that much worse in Canada, yet an entire sports league, one bigger than baseball globally, just switched. They offered more money than Sportsnet or TSN. These internet services have low overhead and huge capital. 

The entire situation is odd in that in one breath, people lament Atlanta's horrible cable sports package. Then, they say that we can't afford to lose it for something as risky as cable. All that matters to a business is which one pays more. Liberty can't do this because cable is their bread and butter. They'd be admitting that their cable future is bleak, which it is.

How much money would LM and the Braves have to charge for an internet only subscription that would make them more money than their current setup? Are you willing to pay that? If we're talking in the 100s of dollars, well I'm not paying that. I'll listen to the games on the radio.

The only reason I won't get the MLB.tv package is because I can't watch the Braves on it. If I could then I'd get it in a heartbeat. I love watching all teams but I can't afford to pay for something that won't let me watch the hometown team because of MLB's outdated 1970s blackout rules.

5 hours ago, Malachore said:

I really hope the Braves aren't done with the market because this team isn't winning the division as of now.

No team is done. Have you looked at the amount of big name free agents still on the market? Folks are gonna have to get used to this being the new normal. Teams don't just throw money around wildly anymore. Teams take their time and drive a hard bargain and this is the reason. We get an offseason where the movement is extremely slow. It sucks for the fans but it's better for baseball overall because the days of paying guys (especially those on the wrong side of 30) outrageous amounts of money are over and thank God it is.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

How much money would LM and the Braves have to charge for an internet only subscription that would make them more money than their current setup? Are you willing to pay that? If we're talking in the 100s of dollars, well I'm not paying that. I'll listen to the games on the radio.

It probably be about $5 per person per month, same as ESPN+. DAZN or Stadium or whoever would foot the difference as a loss leader to grow their brand. The entire Premier League is expected to cost the same price as MLB.tv in Canada.

I'm now seeing that this entire discussion is pointless, however, as Liberty extended the television contract in 2013 in order to get more money out of Fox. I don't know how we all missed that.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

It probably be about $5 per person per month, same as ESPN+. DAZN or Stadium or whoever would foot the difference as a loss leader to grow their brand. The entire Premier League is expected to cost the same price as MLB.tv in Canada.

I'm now seeing that this entire discussion is pointless, however, as Liberty extended the television contract in 2013 in order to get more money out of Fox. I don't know how we all missed that.

I didn't know about that either. I also didn't know that an MLB.tv subscription included MLB Network. I found that out today. Might be just enough to entice me to get it to watch the Rays and MLB Network.

I love me some Folty and so pumped about seeing him build off 2018 and be a legit Cy Young contender in 2019!! It's gonna happen!! Watch out folks!! If he doesn't get the ball on opening day I'll be so pissed!!

youngbloodz likes this

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I love me some Folty and so pumped about seeing him build off 2018 and be a legit Cy Young contender in 2019!! It's gonna happen!! Watch out folks!! If he doesn't get the ball on opening day I'll be so pissed!!

He should have gotten the nod last year above Teheran.  Fun fact about Teheran and opening day starts.  He's tied for 4th with Rick Mahler for most Opening Day starts (5) in franchise history.  Glavine and Smoltz are tied for 5th with 4 each.

So whats everyone's 5 man rotation look like to open the season? Barring additional moves.

Mine is:

Folty, Gausman, Newcomb, Teheran, Soroka. Next man in is Touki. 

Who am I missing?

57 minutes ago, mookie3127 said:

He should have gotten the nod last year above Teheran.  Fun fact about Teheran and opening day starts.  He's tied for 4th with Rick Mahler for most Opening Day starts (5) in franchise history.  Glavine and Smoltz are tied for 5th with 4 each.

Fun fact, Julio Teheran holds the Atlanta franchise record with 5 straight opening day starts.

19 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

So whats everyone's 5 man rotation look like to open the season? Barring additional moves.

Mine is:

Folty, Gausman, Newcomb, Teheran, Soroka. Next man in is Touki. 

Who am I missing?

That's probably right. Wright and Allard will also compete in Spring. Touki and Wright might be used in the bullpen as well.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

That's probably right. Wright and Allard will also compete in Spring. Touki and Wright might be used in the bullpen as well.

Been surprised at how devalued Allard had become on more than one blog or story I have read.

2 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Been surprised at how devalued Allard had become on more than one blog or story I have read.

He needs more development. He struggled to hit his spots and a guy like Allard has to hit his spots. He doesnt throw hard, hes a Glavine type but he has to find that command. He can still get it, just wasnt ready yet. 

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

He needs more development. He struggled to hit his spots and a guy like Allard has to hit his spots. He doesnt throw hard, hes a Glavine type but he has to find that command. He can still get it, just wasnt ready yet. 

I do agree with that analysis. Just seems everyone went cold very fast as if no one believes he will get it. Maybe he wont IDK. 

On another note I am also interested in how quite it seems to be when it comes to Austin Riley.

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-rumors/c-297610378

Interesting tidbit here. Doubt it happens, but thought it was an interesting read

Olney is hearing the Astros, Giants and Braves being mentioned as potential suitors for Harper; the Yankees and Padres as possible contenders for Machado; and the Rangers, Twins and Cubs as three teams that could sign either player.

Olney thinks most of these clubs will continue to sit out of the proceedings, but he could see Houston entering the mix for Harper if the slugger is willing to accept a shorter-term deal with opt-outs

14 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/bryce-harper-rumors/c-297610378

Interesting tidbit here. Doubt it happens, but thought it was an interesting read

Not surprised if true. Could see us get off the distant sidelines if he is willing to do a high AV with short-term opt outs after 3 years or so to not impede the signing of our young stars. 

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Don't forget Fried and Gohara as well. Right now I think Fried may be the favorite.

15 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Don't forget Fried and Gohara as well. Right now I think Fried may be the favorite.

I still think those could be bullpen arms as well.

17 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Not surprised if true. Could see us get off the distant sidelines if he is willing to do a high AV with short-term opt outs after 3 years or so to not impede the signing of our young stars. 

Yeah I think that's the only way. Don't see us wanting to give Harper 300 mil over 10 years (nor do I think we should). 

15 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I still think those could be bullpen arms as well.

Right now I have the bullpen as RH Vizcaino, O'Day, Jackson, Toussaint and LH Minter, Biddle, Venters, and Freeman. 

GWI rotation: Soroka, Gohara, Wright, Wilson, Allard. Bullpen: RH Sobotka, Webb, Parsons, Carle, Winkler, Harrison and LH Dayton and Clouse.

Weigel in the MIS rotation to ease him back, along with Anderson, Muller, Walker, and Davidson.

13 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Right now I have the bullpen as RH Vizcaino, O'Day, Jackson, Toussaint and LH Minter, Biddle, Venters, and Freeman. 

Sobotka, Carle, and Winkler all still have options. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Sobotka on the roster. Liked what I saw from him last year. Not sure who he replaces though...

CrimsonFalcon likes this

The Braves have signed 28YO RHP Jonathan Aro to a minor league contract. Aro spent last season with AAA El Paso in the San Diego organization. He had brief stints in the majors in 2015 and 2016 with Boston and Seattle respectively.