Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Cody Allen has logged more work than Kimbrel. Since coming into the league Allen has pitched 5 more innings than Kimbrel.  Allen also had a pretty bad year. His ERA was 4.76 and his whip was almost 1.4. Houston drilled him the LDS too. Hes got great stuff but there's a little hesitation in there from me.

And it could just be a fluke year. You know bullpen arms can be fickle year to year. At least his velocity is still good.

• 2012 = 95.5
  • 2013 = 96.1
  • 2014 = 96.4
  • 2015 = 95.9
  • 2016 = 95.0
  • 2017 = 94.6
  • 2018 = 94.2

I'm not worried about him no more than I'm worried about any bullpen arm.

18 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Everyone suggests Riley to the OF without a shred of evidence that he's even capable of handling it?

Teams move players to the OF all the time..its not that hard of a transition. Mariners moved a gold gloved 2b to CF last year. We moved Chipper to LF. I am sure the young fella can handle it and will eventually be great

Edited by TRUju2111

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Yes but Allen is likely much less, I'd prefer Herrera. 

Might as well just keep Vizzy as closer and use Herrera as setup man.

Saves

• Vizzy = 49/61 (80.3%)
  • Herrera = 60/81 (74.1%)

2 minutes ago, TRUju2111 said:

Teams move players to the OF all the time..its not that hard of a transition. Mariners moved a gold gloved 2b to CF last year. We moved Chipper to LF. I am sure the young fella can handle it and will eventually be great

Yes, it's easier to move from infield to outfield rather than outfield to infield. I just don't know anything if Riley is athletic enough to handle it. I remember the concerns prior to the draft about if he was athletic enough to handle 3B. As awesome as Machado would be it just doesn't make sense for the long-term health of the team financially. I think the better move would be to keep Riley at 3B and trade for a legit outfielder.

29 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes, it's easier to move from infield to outfield rather than outfield to infield. I just don't know anything if Riley is athletic enough to handle it. I remember the concerns prior to the draft about if he was athletic enough to handle 3B. As awesome as Machado would be it just doesn't make sense for the long-term health of the team financially. I think the better move would be to keep Riley at 3B and trade for a legit outfielder.

I'm not aware of any legit OFers available for trade which is why signing Harper wouldn't surprise me.

28 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I'm not aware of any legit OFers available for trade which is why signing Harper wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, I don't know right off the top of my head which guys might be had for the right price. But I did just take at the free agents list for after the 2019 season and Nolan Arenado is a free agent. I'd take him over Manny Machado in a New York minute!!! He's such a better all around player than Machado.

Here's a name to keep in mind, Kris Bryant. He reportedly turned down a $200M deal from the Cubs and might be a guy that gets moved as the Cubs look to juggle their roster and try to make all the pieces fit. He still has 3 years of team control left and would add much needed right-handed power to the lineup. He's versatility to play the infield and outfield fits in perfectly with the Braves as well.

There's also a couple free agent names out there that are decent options in A.J. Pollock and Michael Brantley.

If the Diamondbacks do go full rebuild then that makes David Peralta available.

According to The Athletic those reports of a $200M rejection by ESPN are false. Athletic reporter says the Cubs have never made a formal offer.

3 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

According to The Athletic those reports of a $200M rejection by ESPN are false. Athletic reporter says the Cubs have never made a formal offer.

The lack of a formal offer doesn't mean a number was never floated to his representation.

47 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Adam Jones would be a cheaper option

Edited by TRUju2111

18 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yeah, I don't know right off the top of my head which guys might be had for the right price. But I did just take at the free agents list for after the 2019 season and Nolan Arenado is a free agent. I'd take him over Manny Machado in a New York minute!!! He's such a better all around player than Machado.

Here's a name to keep in mind, Kris Bryant. He reportedly turned down a $200M deal from the Cubs and might be a guy that gets moved as the Cubs look to juggle their roster and try to make all the pieces fit. He still has 3 years of team control left and would add much needed right-handed power to the lineup. He's versatility to play the infield and outfield fits in perfectly with the Braves as well.

There's also a couple free agent names out there that are decent options in A.J. Pollock and Michael Brantley.

If the Diamondbacks do go full rebuild then that makes David Peralta available.

Peralta was a name I thought about when I read they were selling. I guess I'm just skeptical of an impact trade or signing until one actually happens. 

54 minutes ago, Ransack said:

The lack of a formal offer doesn't mean a number was never floated to his representation.

Right, this is that Jason Heyward thing all over again. A lot of people are involved, so nobody ever knows who says what.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Just because a formal offer was never made doesn't mean there wasn't feelers put out there.

11 minutes ago, jidady said:

Right, this is that Jason Heyward thing all over again. A lot of people are involved, so nobody ever knows who says what.

Very good point bringing up Heyward. I remember that there was talk that Heyward had turned down a big offer from the Braves but we never found out concrete one way or the other if that was true or not.

1 minute ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Any idea of maybe moving Camargo to outfield?  We know he's got a rocket for an arm and a pretty decent glove.

And he's actually got experience out there and looked fine. But there's still a lot of folks not sold on Camargo as an everyday guy and we kinda saw that in September and the playoffs when he slumped badly.

4 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I didn't know that. 

Only 1 official inning in LF in 2017. But I remember him playing some OF during spring training. I think he might have actually played some OF during winter ball but I could be wrong about that part.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

And he's actually got experience out there and looked fine. But there's still a lot of folks not sold on Camargo as an everyday guy and we kinda saw that in September and the playoffs when he slumped badly.

I think super utility is the way to go with him. Riley is our 3rd basemen of the future and we need a big OF bat.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Just now, Ransack said:

I think super utility is the way to go with him. Riley is our 3rd basemen of the future and we need a big OF bat.

I agree. Riley has the potential to be that big time right-handed power bat we need but I don't want to expect that will happen immediately in his rookie year. Braves need to go out and get a legit proven bopper. Doesn't matter if it's lefty or righty. Just get someone capable to swatting 35 on a regular basis to take some much needed pressure off Freddie to be "that guy." Freddie isn't that guy. That's not his game. He's capable of being that guy if he wanted but I like Freddie just the way he is. We should also keep Acuna in the lead off spot just like the Astros do with George Springer. If it ain't broke then don't fix it. Acuna is going 30/30 next year. Book it!!

CrimsonFalcon likes this

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Absolutely!! I'd also like to see the Braves retain Lucas Duda. He did so well off the bench.

Most definitely a must resign.  We lucked out that Freddie didn't miss any time this year with some freak injury, but fatigue showed in Freddie's bat towards the end of the season.

Falconsfan567 likes this