Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

1,564 posts in this topic

Winkler gets $1.61M.

It's passed deadline, still waiting to hear if Gausman and Freeman came in under the wire.

13 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

ESPN had a guy reporting we offered Marwin Gonzalez a 3 year deal. The AJC is denying it. 

There's nothing about it on MLBTR. The last thing mentioned about the Braves is Mark Bowman saying that the Braves are reluctant to give A.J. Pollock a multi-year deal and that maybe they could figure out a 1-year deal with him. The last thing even mentioned when a search of Marwin Gonzalez is entered is that he hired Scott Boras as his agent. But that's it. It's been stone cold quiet about him.

Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes said Braves are interested but no offer made. The rumor came from a Venezuelan TV analyst. 

People always complain about Liberty Media but LM has done absolutely nothing to prevent the Braves from winning. LM wasn't responsible for the tear down and rebuild. LM isn't responsible for the payroll budget the Braves operate with. LM is completely hands off. In fact, LM has been a good owner. In 2014 when Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy both went down with TJS it was LM that approved for the Braves to go over their planned budget to sign Ervin Santana for $14M. That shows good ownership.

Black Francis likes this

21 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

People always complain about Liberty Media but LM has done absolutely nothing to prevent the Braves from winning. LM wasn't responsible for the tear down and rebuild. LM isn't responsible for the payroll budget the Braves operate with. LM is completely hands off. In fact, LM has been a good owner. In 2014 when Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy both went down with TJS it was LM that approved for the Braves to go over their planned budget to sign Ervin Santana for $14M. That shows good ownership.

Braves also paid for Aaron Blairs rehab even after he was released.

Falconsfan567 likes this

22 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

There's nothing about it on MLBTR. The last thing mentioned about the Braves is Mark Bowman saying that the Braves are reluctant to give A.J. Pollock a multi-year deal and that maybe they could figure out a 1-year deal with him. The last thing even mentioned when a search of Marwin Gonzalez is entered is that he hired Scott Boras as his agent. But that's it. It's been stone cold quiet about him.

time Warner was horrible ownership.  LM has been very good as a corporation owning a ball club.  

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Not to mention that the Braves have one of the worst cable television contracts in all of baseball that doesn’t expire until gag ... 2027. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

I'm just ready for more dominoes to fall. Think it will be sooner rather than later, but I'm fairly confident we aren't done yet... at least I hope not lol.

Really don't want to see Philly get Machado AND Harper. Send Machado back to the AL

Edited by tl;dr

46 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I'm just ready for more dominoes to fall. Think it will be sooner rather than later, but I'm fairly confident we aren't done yet... at least I hope not lol.

Really don't want to see Philly get Machado AND Harper. Send Machado back to the AL

I think we all are but there's a ton of guys still on the open market. It's just kinda frozen until the big names sign.

4 hours ago, Black Francis said:

Not to mention that the Braves have one of the worst cable television contracts in all of baseball that doesn’t expire until gag ... 2027. 

There's actually a play there if ownership is brave enough to try it. We could say that our contract isn't enough and go exclusively on the internet. DAZN recently picked up Premier League soccer rights in Canada. It won't be on network/cable television anymore. There's some legalese involved, but I've talked to people who believe that MLB teams with bad TV deals have this option to not broadcast. Unfortunately, Liberty IS cable television-based, so they're dinosaurs about this stuff.

4 minutes ago, jidady said:

There's actually a play there if ownership is brave enough to try it. We could say that our contract isn't enough and go exclusively on the internet. DAZN recently picked up Premier League soccer rights in Canada. It won't be on network/cable television anymore. There's some legalese involved, but I've talked to people who believe that MLB teams with bad TV deals have this option to not broadcast. Unfortunately, Liberty IS cable television-based, so they're dinosaurs about this stuff.

If the Braves were to go and broadcast only on the internet, unless they made sure that there were apps available for people to still be able to watch on their TV's through things like Fire TV and Roku, they would cut off their nose despite their face. I also can't foresee a situation where MLB would approve of allowing such a thing given their MLB Extra Innings package.

I don't know why anyone would want the Braves to not be on cable TV anymore. They wouldn't make more money from going internet only unless they charged a ridiculously high fee. Also, they would ruin the hometown fans who wouldn't be able to watch the games anymore (even on the internet) because of the MLB's ridiculously outdated blackout rules. Blackout rules are the reason MLB.tv doesn't have more subscribers. ****, MLB is so caught up on trying to force people to pay the high expenses for cable that they refuse to make an MLB Network app that lets you watch MLB Network on things like Fire TV and Roku. The only way to watch MLB Network is through a cable subscription on a TV or online on their website. No app for things like Fire TV and Roku and that just grinds my gears.

9 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If the Braves were to go and broadcast only on the internet, unless they made sure that there were apps available for people to still be able to watch on their TV's through things like Fire TV and Roku, they would cut off their nose despite their face. I also can't foresee a situation where MLB would approve of allowing such a thing given their MLB Extra Innings package.

I don't know why anyone would want the Braves to not be on cable TV anymore. They wouldn't make more money from going internet only unless they charged a ridiculously high fee. Also, they would ruin the hometown fans who wouldn't be able to watch the games anymore (even on the internet) because of the MLB's ridiculously outdated blackout rules. Blackout rules are the reason MLB.tv doesn't have more subscribers. ****, MLB is so caught up on trying to force people to pay the high expenses for cable that they refuse to make an MLB Network app that lets you watch MLB Network on things like Fire TV and Roku. The only way to watch MLB Network is through a cable subscription on a TV or online on their website. No app for things like Fire TV and Roku and that just grinds my gears.

I agree, they would be cutting their own throats if that were to happen. Braves Country would be devastated!

Falconsfan567 likes this

10 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Short answer: because the nature of media consumption has fundamentally changed. This is actually my wheelhouse as I write about cord cutting a lot. DAZN, FITE, Stadium, and others have given unprecedented options to professional sports teams. Smart organizations will explore them. We have Liberty, so...

17 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I really hope the Braves aren't done with the market because this team isn't winning the division as of now.

28 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I really hope the Braves aren't done with the market because this team isn't winning the division as of now.

You would have said the same thing on January 16, 2018. We all would have.

Falconsfan567 likes this

22 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

You would have said the same thing on January 16, 2018. We all would have.

You're right but I doubt we overachieve while the Nats underachieve for a 2nd straight year.

They've had a top notch offseason so far.

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Internet is too unreliable in some of the rural areas in the Braves market. I have family in part of northern Georgia that's still on dial up.

The situation's that much worse in Canada, yet an entire sports league, one bigger than baseball globally, just switched. They offered more money than Sportsnet or TSN. These internet services have low overhead and huge capital. 

The entire situation is odd in that in one breath, people lament Atlanta's horrible cable sports package. Then, they say that we can't afford to lose it for something as risky as cable. All that matters to a business is which one pays more. Liberty can't do this because cable is their bread and butter. They'd be admitting that their cable future is bleak, which it is.

2 hours ago, Malachore said:

Although I agree that we probably aren't winning the division with this team with the upgrades our rivals have made, I don't think we are near done. We have to have a legit offensive corner OF, and bringing back Markakis isn't acceptable. I'd still like an upgrade in the rotation, bullpen and Catcher, but we have a ways to go in this slow market (like it has been last couple of years). Deals that were getting done before the new year in the past are happening much later into the new year now. So patience, as annoying as it is, will be the key for fans, players, teams and agents alike. 

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV
Malachore likes this