Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

1,563 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ransack said:

WHEW!!

He announced that he was going to JUCO late last week, so that's not a surprise. I'm sure this had a huge role in the Bridges firing. From what I've heard (kind of corroborates what DOB said last night), his organizational skills were severely lacking and led directly to this situation with Stewart. It's also been reported that he [Bridges] had a few other missteps, organizationally, but this was essentially the straw that broke the camel's back.

Just now, Nereek said:

Why would braves low ball Stewart anyways? 

It's not really that. There is a threshold teams can't dip below to maintain compliance with MLB Draft rules regarding compensatory picks for the following draft year. 

5 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Why would braves low ball Stewart anyways? 

Medicals revealed an injured wrist that concerned the Braves about his health long term. Per the rules you can't review medicals until you draft the player.

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Medicals revealed an injured wrist that concerned the Braves about his health long term. Per the rules you can't review medicals until you draft the player.

That needs to change. 

58 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

They can with a player's permission. For example, Allard allowed the Braves to review the medicals regarding the stress fracture in his back that he suffered his senior year of high school.

If a team *does* see medicals however, the minimum required amount offer for the slot is 60% if drafted I believe.

I honestly think there should be an overhaul of the entire draft system in MLB.  

I just don't like the idea of a kid (YES, a KID) deciding that they didn't like where they were drafted and deciding to go to college.  Either go to college or toil away in the minors for as long as it takes.  Medicals should be reviewable like @Nereek said.  I mean, you don't buy a used car without checking it (or getting it checked out) and it's essentially the same thing.

Falconsfan567 likes this

Baseball is a strange game, and anything is possible...but I cannot believe I lived to see a day when the Braves would fire Roy Clark.

With Gordon Blakeley and now Bridges, this has been an extremely strange 18 months for Atlanta's storied scouting department.

5 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Which still strikes me as complete and utter ********. What harm can be done by making sure the team doesn't get screwed?

Malachore and falconsd56 like this

3 hours ago, jidady said:

Baseball is a strange game, and anything is possible...but I cannot believe I lived to see a day when the Braves would fire Roy Clark.

With Gordon Blakeley and now Bridges, this has been an extremely strange 18 months for Atlanta's storied scouting department.

Exactly this!!

Pollock and a Kluber trade would make me super happy. Haven't heard anything about Kluber recently though

24 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Pollock and a Kluber trade would make me super happy. Haven't heard anything about Kluber recently though

Probably haven't heard anything on Kluber because the Indians don't have to trade him. They'll only trade him for the right price and the starting point is an MLB ready outfielder.

3 hours ago, tl;dr said:

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Probably haven't heard anything on Kluber because the Indians don't have to trade him. They'll only trade him for the right price and the starting point is an MLB ready outfielder.

Right, they were entertaining trades to clear payroll. They accomplished that by trading Encarnacion and signing Carrasco to a below-market deal.

11 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I honestly think there should be an overhaul of the entire draft system in MLB.  

I just don't like the idea of a kid (YES, a KID) deciding that they didn't like where they were drafted and deciding to go to college.  Either go to college or toil away in the minors for as long as it takes.  Medicals should be reviewable like @Nereek said.  I mean, you don't buy a used car without checking it (or getting it checked out) and it's essentially the same thing.

They could just get rid of the draft and let everyone be a free agent. I'd be fine with that.

25 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Right, they were entertaining trades to clear payroll. They accomplished that by trading Encarnacion and signing Carrasco to a below-market deal.

Did not know that. So that would make one think Kluber is a no go

2 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Did not know that. So that would make one think Kluber is a no go

Probably not, unless they were overwhelmed.

Before anyone freaks out, the deals aren't guaranteed. If Duvall or anyone bombs out in Spring they can be released at little cost.