Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

1,564 posts in this topic

Even when Duvall is going well hes an all or nothing. Hes going to hit around .230 with a ton of strikeouts regardless. He just happens to have the ability to hit 30-40 HR. His career OBP is abysmal at .291. 

Malachore likes this

33 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Even when Duvall is going well hes an all or nothing. Hes going to hit around .230 with a ton of strikeouts regardless. He just happens to have the ability to hit 30-40 HR. His career OBP is abysmal at .291. 

I know a lot of you guys are numbers guys, and that's cool. 

I would be happy with a .230 average and (just say) 35 home runs in a season, it's instant offense and as we've seen from many sports, if someone gets hot, they can spark or carry a team at times.

48 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I would be happy with a .230 average and (just say) 35 home runs in a season, it's instant offense and as we've seen from many sports, if someone gets hot, they can spark or carry a team at times.

I'm ok giving up some average. I just like more of a .250-.260 with the power.

7 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Are the braves done?

No, the market is just frozen right now. Much like last year.

There is a serious valuation discrepancy. Players are going to have to begin to all play for 5 teams, or they are going to take great money, and not expect Mike Trout money. The big 5, NY, BOS, LA, SF and CHI are ruining the market for any team not willing to spend like them. I hope there begins to be some draft pick consideration in Luxury tax situations.

Passprotection likes this

1 hour ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

It's more that a sub-300 OBP means that a player ends innings prematurely. That hitter gets out more than 7 times out of 10. Lineups cannot swallow that sort of negativity. You're saying that 35 homers in 600 plate appearances is nice. It means that once every 17 at bats, he creates his own offense to the point that at least one run scores. The problem is that he makes 11.9 outs for each run created in those 17 at bats. I know you just said that you're not talking about numbers, but I think you can see just how detrimental that is to a lineup. It's why Frenchy was such a problem as a Brave. 

11 minutes ago, jidady said:

It's more that a sub-300 OBP means that a player ends innings prematurely. That hitter gets out more than 7 times out of 10. Lineups cannot swallow that sort of negativity. You're saying that 35 homers in 600 plate appearances is nice. It means that once every 17 at bats, he creates his own offense to the point that at least one run scores. The problem is that he makes 11.9 outs for each run created in those 17 at bats. I know you just said that you're not talking about numbers, but I think you can see just how detrimental that is to a lineup. It's why Frenchy was such a problem as a Brave. 

Trust me, I agree with everything you're saying.  I just go back to the old adage "Practice makes perfect".  Baseball is the only sport where getting out 7 of 10 times might just land you in the Hall of Fame.

7 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Trust me, I agree with everything you're saying.  I just go back to the old adage "Practice makes perfect".  Baseball is the only sport where getting out 7 of 10 times might just land you in the Hall of Fame.

See, that philosophy is founded in the .300 average. When you have a .300 average, your OBP will be a minimum of .350, possibly .400, depending on how many walks you take. An OBP of .291 means that you're getting out an extra 35 times per 600 at bats compared to a .350 OBP player. It's simply an unsustainable rate of failure. Having 35-homer power is terrific, but that can't be a hitter's only tool.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

No, the market is just frozen right now. Much like last year.

Braves probably are done and waiting for scraps.

3 hours ago, jidady said:

Exactly. The OBP part is what kills me with Duvall. I can handle the .230 AVG if his OBP was .330 but a .230 AVG with a .290 OBP just absolutely is a complete no for me!! Complete black hole! He could hit 90 homeruns and I still wouldn't want him!!

22 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Exactly. The OBP part is what kills me with Duvall. I can handle the .230 AVG if his OBP was .330 but a .230 AVG with a .290 OBP just absolutely is a complete no for me!! Complete black hole! He could hit 90 homeruns and I still wouldn't want him!!

I’m with you there. I can’t stand those type of ball players 

Falconsfan567 likes this

This likely means a shift in drafting strategy. Anthopolous is molding the team in his vision. Roy Clark also fired.

DOB said he heard before the end of the season that Bridges was out. He notes that it's a continued trend of Anthopolous not retaining many of the former faces in the scouting department and minor league staffs. Anthopolous is bringing in a lot of new faces that reflect his philosophy. 

16 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

This likely means a shift in drafting strategy. Anthopolous is molding the team in his vision. Roy Clark also fired.

This one here is the major shocker!! Roy Clark has been with the Braves forever. But I totally approve what's being done. The "Braves Way" of doing things doesn't work anymore. Not with the way baseball has changed and is being evaluated. I remember a while back Bobby Cox saying that he knew it was time for him to hang it up when all this new aged stuff started coming about and he couldn't learn and understand it.

37 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Braves have dismissed Scouting Director Brian Bridges.

The Brian Bridges one just doesn't make sense. I totally understand Roy Clark because he was apart of the old Bobby Cox/John Schuerholtz "Braves Way" deal and it's been proven that in today's MLB that the old "Braves Way" of doing things doesn't work anymore.

49 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

The Brian Bridges one just doesn't make sense. I totally understand Roy Clark because he was apart of the old Bobby Cox/John Schuerholtz "Braves Way" deal and it's been proven that in today's MLB that the old "Braves Way" of doing things doesn't work anymore.

4 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Is there anything to this whole grievance thing people are talking about on Twitter? That the Braves could lose the 9th pick in the draft?

34 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Is there anything to this whole grievance thing people are talking about on Twitter? That the Braves could lose the 9th pick in the draft?

The MLBPA filed a grievance back in October or sometime a few months ago. It was on behalf of Carter Stewart. The goal was to let Stewart be declared a free agent by saying the Braves offered too low of an amount. If the league agrees then the Braves would only get the #21 pick and not get any compensation for not signing Stewart. Thus they would lose the #9 selection. 

Not that I trust much of what DOB says but this makes no sense. You essentially want a secretary over someone who knows and can evaluate talent?

The MLBPA filed a grievance back in October or sometime a few months ago. It was on behalf of Carter Stewart. The goal was to let Stewart be declared a free agent by saying the Braves offered too low of an amount. If the league agrees then the Braves would only get the #21 pick and not get any compensation for not signing Stewart. Thus they would lose the #9 selection. 

51 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Not that I trust much of what DOB says but this makes no sense. You essentially want a secretary over someone who knows and can evaluate talent?

The Scouting Director not only manages the scouting department, but also conducts the draft and signs the players. If in fact Bridges was responsible for making sure Stewart got an offer that would minimally qualify the Braves for a comp pick if Stewart didn't sign and he failed to do so, that would be a fire-able offense, no matter his other skills.

And for the record, I loved Bridges drafts, and I loved his scouting. He will be missed. But there were a number of embarrassing miscues around draft picks during Bridges's watch. 

13 minutes ago, K26dp said:

The Scouting Director not only manages the scouting department, but also conducts the draft and signs the players. If in fact Bridges was responsible for making sure Stewart got an offer that would minimally qualify the Braves for a comp pick if Stewart didn't sign and he failed to do so, that would be a fire-able offense, no matter his other skills.

And for the record, I loved Bridges drafts, and I loved his scouting. He will be missed. But there were a number of embarrassing miscues around draft picks during Bridges's watch. 

If he did screw that up then yeah it is a fireable offense.