Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Ransack said:

That might be our best bet. I've always loved the idea of having three OF'ers that could all play center. You can also give Camargo 50 games in the outfield throughout the year.

My concern is that we just got out from under the regrettable Markakis contract. This would be a repeat of it. I agree with you that three players capable of playing CF is ideal. I just don't want us to add a 31-year-old for five years/$75 million.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 hour ago, jidady said:

It's a simple answer. I've followed both of their careers. If my choices for a clubhouse were Puig and Yunel Escobar, I'd take Yunel.

Attitude aside though. 

Joc is bad.

12 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Attitude aside though. 

Joc is bad.

Good lord, no. He has flaws, but the only player in baseball who doesn't is Mike Trout. He's about a 2.7 WAR player over the course of 155 games. Puig has averaged about 1.8 WAR over the past four years.

Also, Pederson's entering the prime of his career since he's 26. He's a great candidate for a "put it all together" type of breakout season. ZiPS in particular has always loved him. Plus, he's cheap, unlike Pollock. In fact, Puig earned $9.2 million this past season and is due for an arbitration increase. Pederson cost $2.6 million...and isn't a punk. Out of those three names, Pederson is far and away my preferred choice. That doesn't mean he's the best name I've seen connected to us, but we could do much worse.

g-dawg likes this

19 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

It fits in with recent reports saying the Braves will keep Ender so they can expand their options to lesser defenders. 

I think he's about the logical extreme of the theory. He was 4.7 oWAR/-2.4 dWAR last year.

1 minute ago, jidady said:

I think he's about the logical extreme of the theory. He was 4.7 oWAR/-2.4 dWAR last year.

He might be our best option with the look of the market right now. 

11 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

He might be our best option with the look of the market right now. 

Yeah, I think these kinds of one-dimensional players are the easiest ones to acquire in the current market climate.

I don't trust WAR for 20th century players, but the thought did cause me to look up Ryan Klesko's numbers.  His worst defensive year was 2.9/-2.2. He also had a 5.3/-1.9. Ryan had a lot of years where his WAR under 2 because his defense canceled out his offense.

My all-time favorite Braves broadcast comment came from Don Sutton during one of Ryan's particularly egregious defensive stretches:

"Ryan keeps getting open but we can't get him the ball." 

falconsd56 and capologist like this

56 minutes ago, jidady said:

My concern is that we just got out from under the regrettable Markakis contract. This would be a repeat of it. I agree with you that three players capable of playing CF is ideal. I just don't want us to add a 31-year-old for five years/$75 million.

I wouldn't do it for those years and that money either. I doubt the Braves would too.

How would everyone feel about these deals:

Kyle Mueller, Izzy Wilson for Nick Castellanos

Kyle Wright, Kolby Allard for Corey Kluber

Cristian Pache, Luiz Gohara, Alex Jackson for JT Realmuto

Assuming we made all three deals, not just one in lieu of the others.

16 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

That's definitely win yesterday mode.

g-dawg likes this

41 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

I just don't think it's feasibly for us to get Realmuto. And I'd rather use different pieces to get Kluber, although I could live with those if that's what it took. I think you're in the right range on the cost of all three deals.

When I start speccing out potential offers, I realize just how imbalanced our scouting system is. Like, Alex Jackson should have little to no value, but he's arguably one of our top five position players prospects (I checked and see that K26 has him #7/#21 overall).

If we trade Julio or Folty, we really need to get legit position prospects back in the deal.

30 minutes ago, jidady said:

I just don't think it's feasibly for us to get Realmuto. And I'd rather use different pieces to get Kluber, although I could live with those if that's what it took. I think you're in the right range on the cost of all three deals.

When I start speccing out potential offers, I realize just how imbalanced our scouting system is. Like, Alex Jackson should have little to no value, but he's arguably one of our top five position players prospects (I checked and see that K26 has him #7/#21 overall).

If we trade Julio or Folty, we really need to get legit position prospects back in the deal.

Was going through it. I was shocked to see a guy like Izzy Wilson in a lot of Top 30's. He's a speedy, athletic OF, but I think he's in there due to a lack of real depth for position player prospects. 

2 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

1. Probably can go less than Muller. Castellanos only has one year of control left. Or just Muller and leave out Wilson.

2. Fine with me, but I doubt Cleveland bites.

3. Oh, hells no. 

ATLBrave likes this

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

1. Probably can go less than Muller. Castellanos only has one year of control left. Or just Muller and leave out Wilson.

2. Fine with me, but I doubt Cleveland bites.

3. Oh, hells no. 

What is it about Pache that makes him untouchable for you?

I've seen comparisons to Ender and Mike Cameron. Is that really good enough to not want to deal him with Waters not far behind?

g-dawg likes this

I would only trade Pache in a Kluber type of deal. It has to be impactful. You're talking about a potential best defender in baseball. His bat is coming along, hes at .289 for 3 career seasons in the minors and he wont be 21 till after the 2019 season. If his bat continues to develop and he can be a .275/.330 type of guy with his defense that's really valuable. It would also make Ender available and in return that money would be available. 

Anthopolous has left the Winter Meetings. He flew to Denver for the Liberty Media meetings. Assistant GM Perry Minasian stayed back to represent the Braves.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Anthopolous has left the Winter Meetings. He flew to Denver for the Liberty Media meetings. Assistant GM Perry Minasian stayed back to represent the Braves.

Hmmmm..... I wonder why.

3 hours ago, Malachore said:

What is it about Pache that makes him untouchable for you?

I've seen comparisons to Ender and Mike Cameron. Is that really good enough to not want to deal him with Waters not far behind?

Pache isn't untouchable. Pache and a lottery ticket *should* get the job done for two years of Realmuto. Putting both Pache *and* Gohara in that trade was what made me "oh hells no".

3 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I would only trade Pache in a Kluber type of deal. It has to be impactful. You're talking about a potential best defender in baseball. His bat is coming along, hes at .289 for 3 career seasons in the minors and he wont be 21 till after the 2019 season. If his bat continues to develop and he can be a .275/.330 type of guy with his defense that's really valuable. It would also make Ender available and in return that money would be available. 

This.

7 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Does anybody really care about the rule 5 draft?

Yes, but it's not something the GM needs to stick around for.