Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,142 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, The Kingfish said:

There seems to be a general consensus among analysts that the Braves lack of MLB-ready position prospects at AAA will hurt their ability to trade for a top SP or corner OF. While it's true the Braves have a ton of pitching prospects, most teams are looking for a return that includes position players, too. So any big trade will likely have to include an MLB player (Camargo, Swanson, or Albies).

Didn't understand the whole "can never have too much pitching" reasoning when I was questioning all the trades and draft picks. 

This is why.

5 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Dont know about money but Morton is only looking for 1 or 2 years. Hes made it known he doesn't want to pitch much longer.

Yeah, that short-term deal is why it would be a perfect fit for him here. It doesn't keep us from blocking guys long-term with big money.

Just now, Malachore said:

Didn't understand the whole "can never have too much pitching" reasoning when I was questioning all the trades and draft picks. 

This is why.

Unfortunately with what the Astros and Cubs did by doing their rebuilds with position players, it's changed the game. Coppy's strategy would have worked perfectly in the 2000s and prior because all, at least most, teams were all about pitching and defense. Teams gladly hored arms. They had great value.

Malachore likes this

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Unfortunately with what the Astros and Cubs did by doing their rebuilds with position players, it's changed the game. Coppy's strategy would have worked perfectly in the 2000s and prior because all, at least most, teams were all about pitching and defense. Teams gladly hored arms. They had great value.

If Pache is the dealbreaker in some of these talks then idk. Can't really get hung up over a guy who's comparison is Mike Cameron when it comes down to it. Especially when Waters isn't far behind him.

2 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Still say we should sign Harper or trade for Castelanos. 

If we sign Harper then how do we fix the bullpen? Harper would take up the rest of the Braves budget all by himself.

Now that the report is out that the Braves might be open to sacrificing a little defense for more offense, that makes the Castellanos rumors make more sense. I'd love to have him. He just flat out rakes. Plus he would fit perfectly in the lineup with them wanting Donaldson to hit 2nd.

• Acuna
  • Donaldson
  • Freeman
  • Castellanos
  • Albies

That's a really great top 5.

Just now, Malachore said:

If Pache is the dealbreaker in some of these talks then idk. Can't really get hung up over a guy who's comparison is Mike Cameron when it comes down to it. Especially when Waters isn't far behind him.

Right. Looking that way. Like Kevin Millar said on IT today, sooner or later you've got to go all in on now. You can't keep pushing things to 2021 or 2022 and beyond. He was talking about the Red Sox, but the point is still the same.

Malachore likes this

I especially like the possibility of Castellanos with the added flexibility he'd give us.  His history at 3B would be great if Donaldson's recent injury history pops up.  Even if it doesn't we could still spell Donaldson and Swanson/Albies on the same day.  I think Castellanos makes a lot of sense if sacraficing some defense is in play.  Just depends on the price.

Falconsfan567 likes this

47 minutes ago, mookie3127 said:

I especially like the possibility of Castellanos with the added flexibility he'd give us.  His history at 3B would be great if Donaldson's recent injury history pops up.  Even if it doesn't we could still spell Donaldson and Swanson/Albies on the same day.  I think Castellanos makes a lot of sense if sacraficing some defense is in play.  Just depends on the price.

Tigers are one of the teams out that that badly need pitching too.

Gabe Burns suggest the Braves interest in a Dodgers OF could be focused on Joc Pederson and not Puig. Dodgers were reportedly listening in both. 

14 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Gabe Burns suggest the Braves interest in a Dodgers OF could be focused on Joc Pederson and not Puig. Dodgers were reportedly listening in both. 

Image result for that's better gif
youngbloodz likes this

4 hours ago, The Kingfish said:

There seems to be a general consensus among analysts that the Braves lack of MLB-ready position prospects at AAA will hurt their ability to trade for a top SP or corner OF. While it's true the Braves have a ton of pitching prospects, most teams are looking for a return that includes position players, too. So any big trade will likely have to include an MLB player (Camargo, Swanson, or Albies).

823194.jpg?b64lines=IExpc3RlbiBsYWR5LCBJIGNhbiBsZWF2ZQogd2l0aG91dCBzY3JlYW1pbmcsIGFuZCBJCiBjYW4gbGVhdmUgd2l0aG91dCBzYXlpbmcKIGEgYmFkIHdvcmQuIA==

36 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

21 minutes ago, jidady said:
Image result for that's better gif

My only issue with Joc is that he can't hit LHP. Check out his career splits.

• vs. RHP = .239/.355/.487 (.842)
  • vs. LHP = .181/.266/.317 (.583)

So, he would need a platoon partner (Camargo?).

35 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Rangers want controllable pitching.  I would love to get Joey Gallo from them.  

His power is undeniable, but he's a one-tool player.

46 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Rangers want controllable pitching.  I would love to get Joey Gallo from them.  

I mentioned Joey Gallo back on October 20th.

On 10/20/2018 at 11:25 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Here's a name to keep an eye on, Joey Gallo. Yes, Gallo has an insane strikeout rate, which I don't like, but he walks a good bit too and his defense in the OF is actually pretty good. In 2017 he posted a wRC+ of 121 and in 2018 it was 110. If Kevin Seitzer could work with him and lessen his upper cut a little bit and get his strikeout rate below 30%, he'd be a real asset to the Braves lineup. He'd give us a guaranteed 40 homeruns.

10 hours ago, jidady said:

I understand that others may disagree, but dealing Folty right now is a galaxy brain move. I hope we sell high right now.

Unless it's in a deal for Kluber, I don't see how that would help.

7 hours ago, The Kingfish said:

Here's a crazy idea...

How about we use the pitchers we've drafted and traded for? I think they're going to be good. Better than pretty much anyone that's being bandied about as possible acquisitions.

I know, it's not sexy. 

JDFIII likes this

40 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Here's a crazy idea...

How about we use the pitchers we've drafted and traded for? I think they're going to be good. Better than pretty much anyone that's being bandied about as possible acquisitions.

I know, it's not sexy. 

I still really hope we give Max Fried a chance. I love everything about him and I think he's done everything in the world he could possibly do to prove that he deserves a chance at starting for the Braves in 2019.

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

Unless it's in a deal for Kluber, I don't see how that would help.

I fully expect that it would be part of a multi-step process to acquiring someone like Kluber and a high-quality OFer. 

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

I'm not sure why you like Joc and not Puig.

It's a simple answer. I've followed both of their careers. If my choices for a clubhouse were Puig and Yunel Escobar, I'd take Yunel.