Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

Heyman stands by his Keuchel claim. DOB adds that it's likely the cost in the trade market. Teams want astronomical returns for top of the rotation arms. Keuchel also has a close relationship with McCann from being his catcher in Houston. Keuchel might be willing to shave a little off the price to work with McCann again. Reds and Phillies are the top contenders for Dallas.

4 hours ago, Nereek said:

What's so great about Dallas Keuchel?

On 12/1/2018 at 10:20 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep. Saw that earlier but didn't post it because Nick Cafardo has a long history of being wrong about anything that is non Boston related.

Although, Dallas Keuchel makes a lot of sense for the Braves. He's a ground ball pitcher and the Braves have a great defensive infield, so it would work well.

On 12/2/2018 at 2:39 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Keuchel has never been a hard thrower. He's always made his living as a groundball guy. It's not like someone like someone like Julio who was a harder thrower and can't do it anymore. Those are the guys that concern me. Keuchel isn't my first option, but I understand why he's a target.

On 12/2/2018 at 3:09 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Career Playoff Stats

• 10 G, 9 GS, 51 2/3 IP, 43 H, 20 R, 19 ER, 5 HR, 16 BB, 48 SO, 3.31 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, .224 AVG

Pretty good in my book.

11 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Move incoming???????

A team has to have a roster spot open if they want to make a pick in the Rule V draft. I doubt Atlanta makes a selection, but I'm sure they'd like the option.

Weird, as I was fixing lunch about an hour ago, my Rio-sense was tingling. I was thinking "certainly the Braves will open up a 40-man roster spot just so they have the option of taking someone in the Rule V draft if someone drops to them", then I thought "there's no way Rio gets through this week as a Brave".

ATLBrave and Falconsfan567 like this

5 minutes ago, K26dp said:

A team has to have a roster spot open if they want to make a pick in the Rule V draft. I doubt Atlanta makes a selection, but I'm sure they'd like the option.

Weird, as I was fixing lunch about an hour ago, my Rio-sense was tingling. I was thinking "certainly the Braves will open up a 40-man roster spot just so they have the option of taking someone in the Rule V draft if someone drops to them", then I thought "there's no way Rio gets through this week as a Brave".

I know. I was just hoping for something to pop. Don't ruin my excitement, please.

13 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Ah!!!! Fascinating!!

It appears that we've at least "checked in" with Detroit on Nick Castellanos.  I do like that he has a history at the hot corner should Donaldson have more injury concerns.

Link

The Tigers are “determined to move on” from outfielder Nicholas Castellanos, Antony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reports. There’s initial interest from other clubs, per MLB.com’s Jon Morosi (via Twitter). It seems the Braves have at least “checked in” on the 26-year-old, who is projected by MLBTR to earn a $11.3MM salary in his final season of arbitration eligibility. The Atlanta organization has an opening in right field and has plenty of assets that’d be of interest to Detroit. Castellanos certainly has produced the kind of offensive output that’d be of interest — he’s slashing .285/.336/.495 over the past three seasons — but comes with anything but a sterling defensive reputation.

38 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I'll go ahead and put this out there...

We resign Duda and put him back in the outfield...

Thoughts?

Never going to happen!! AA cares too much about defense to make that move.

1 hour ago, mookie3127 said:

It appears that we've at least "checked in" with Detroit on Nick Castellanos.  I do like that he has a history at the hot corner should Donaldson have more injury concerns.

Link

The Tigers are “determined to move on” from outfielder Nicholas Castellanos, Antony Fenech of the Detroit Free Press reports. There’s initial interest from other clubs, per MLB.com’s Jon Morosi (via Twitter). It seems the Braves have at least “checked in” on the 26-year-old, who is projected by MLBTR to earn a $11.3MM salary in his final season of arbitration eligibility. The Atlanta organization has an opening in right field and has plenty of assets that’d be of interest to Detroit. Castellanos certainly has produced the kind of offensive output that’d be of interest — he’s slashing .285/.336/.495 over the past three seasons — but comes with anything but a sterling defensive reputation.

49 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Never going to happen!! AA cares too much about defense to make that move.

But yet... this name keeps popping up...

43 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

But yet... this name keeps popping up...

Wanna know how accurate any of these tweets are? Look at these two tweets sent out by Mark Bowman in about the span of an hour.

So, are the Braves listening on Folty or are they not? Not even the man who gets paid to "know" what the Braves are going to do knows as shown by two tweets saying the complete opposite thing in less than an hour's time span.

Anthopolous said hes not close but hes had a few positive conversations. He also mentioned hes had talks about current MLB players and prospects. He said the MLB players he talked about are names he is willing to move. My guess is Julio and Ender.

Heyman says the Braves made the cut on JA Happs first round of cuts. Heyman saying the Braves aren't sure if they can get him but they decided to take a shot.

I wonder if Nelson Cruz is an option on a 1 or 2 year deal? I mean, I know defense because of what AA has stated and that would be a big dinger against him, but jeez!!! Could you imagine him hitting 40 bombs in STP?

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Meh....

Meh indeed! He's 36 and we could probably get similar production from other starters without having to allocate significant money for Happ. 

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV

34 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Meh indeed! He's 36 and we could probably get similar production from other starters without having to allocate significant money for Happ. 

Well, the thing with Happ is that he's not a front line starter and never has been. It would be like when the Braves brought back Tom Glavine in 2008 and trying sell that to the fan base as a "significant" rotation addiction. We'd be better off just rolling with what we've got than invest money to Happ.

58 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

According to reports, Carlos Gonzalez has informed the Braves he wants to sign with them. The interest isn't mutual at the moment.

Don't want Cargo!! All you've got to do is look at his career home/road splits and RHP/LHP splits to realize just how bad he's been away from Coors in his career.

• Home = .323/.381/.592 (.974)
  • Road = .251/.307/.420 (.728)
  • vs. RHP = .299/.366/.540 (.905)
  • vs. LHP = .261/.297/.434 (.732)

Guy is a straight bum!! There's a reason no one signed him last offseason and he eventually ended up back in Colorado.