Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

Curious to see if Brantley or Pollack are our guy. Both are injury concerns, but would give us a good top 4 while they held up. I bet, if either is our guy, it would be a 2 or 3 year deal at the most. Pache and Waters will be knocking and running through the door within that time frame, hopefully.

16 minutes ago, JDFIII said:

Curious to see if Brantley or Pollack are our guy. Both are injury concerns, but would give us a good top 4 while they held up. I bet, if either is our guy, it would be a 2 or 3 year deal at the most. Pache and Waters will be knocking and running through the door within that time frame, hopefully.

I dont think Pollock will be the guy. His reported price is $80M over 5 years. I wouldn't come close to touching that. 

I don't think Brantley is our guy either (rumor is he's looking for 3/60). I think the OF will either be a trade or a re-sign of Markakis.

10 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I don't think Brantley is our guy either (rumor is he's looking for 3/60). I think the OF will either be a trade or a re-sign of Markakis.

****, as much as Brantley would fit, 20 AAV just ain't gonna cut it.

9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

****, as much as Brantley would fit, 20 AAV just ain't gonna cut it.

I'd do 20M for one year, but not 3. 

JDFIII likes this

28 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I'd do 20M for one year, but not 3. 

Can the Braves afford to do $20 for 1 year and still make the necessary pitching additions?

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Can the Braves afford to do $20 for 1 year and still make the necessary pitching additions?

I dunno, you're the one with the spreadsheet. :lol:

That said, I'm not convinced the Braves need to make a bunch of pitching additions. I'd be fine re-signing Brach and calling it O'Day.

JDFIII, jidady and Falconsfan567 like this

I know AA said they have to be careful from this point on to fill all the needs with the money available. He said the $25M they've spent already ate up a good chunk of the budget for this winter.

21 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

I know AA said they have to be careful from this point on to fill all the needs with the money available. He said the $25M they've spent already ate up a good chunk of the budget for this winter.

Yeah. We were talking about this on Twitter a few days ago. I'm guessing they've got around $15-25M left to work with.

25 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yeah. We were talking about this on Twitter a few days ago. I'm guessing they've got around $15-25M left to work with.

So what is everyone's feelings on the market for Markakis? No doubt he had an amazing year and is solid, but I don't think anyone thinks he matches it next year or beyond. Is his agent asking for 3-5 years or are they ok with 2?

5 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

So what is everyone's feelings on the market for Markakis? No doubt he had an amazing year and is solid, but I don't think anyone thinks he matches it next year or beyond. Is his agent asking for 3-5 years or are they ok with 2?

Haven't heard anything about him except that he's a fall back option for the Braves. I really don't wanna see another year of Markakis. 4 years was long enough, especially with how bad he was in the 2nd half of the season. He was one of the worst regulars in all of baseball after the ASG.

Malachore likes this

33 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Estimates were $30-60. If on the high end of that, they still have about $33M left, plenty to get a few guys. 

I've assumed it was in the $50-60 range given that AA said they payroll was going to bump up a but. But I also think they'll keep at least $10M in reserve for in-season moves. 

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

Just found this... a video of Tyler Flowers framing pitches.

I had a co-worker arguing with me that Flowers was terrible at framing pitches. 

when you watch him pitch frame you don't see his glove close and make the snap sound until it's like right in the middle of the strike zone

Flowers is at the top of the league for pitch framing every season. He takes a lit of heat around here but the guy has been a solid addition.

Flowers is very good a pitch framing. Suzuki, not so much. The issue with Flowers defense that I have the most is his pitch selection. He gets fastball happy sometimes and eventually it doesn't end well.

15 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Flowers is very good a pitch framing. Suzuki, not so much. The issue with Flowers defense that I have the most is his pitch selection. He gets fastball happy sometimes and eventually it doesn't end well.

Quite frankly, I think game planning -- which leads directly into pitch selection -- was why Hernandez was let go. Both Flowers and Suzuki struggled with game-calling all season where that had been a strength before. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

19 hours ago, K26dp said:

I'd prefer to trade the farm (with some exceptions, of course) to get Haniger than give Brantley that contract.

ATLBrave and Falconsfan567 like this