Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

I enjoy a self-aware professional who indeed values candor while discouraging groupthink and sycophants...

Exactly!!

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It was something that they showed on MLB Network about AA explaining how decisions are made in the front office. Very insightful and had me appreciating him even more for the way he goes about his business. He explained the decision behind giving Jose Bautista a long-term deal with the Blue Jays. Some of his advisors were against it because Bautista was 29 years old at the time and was coming off his first productive season as a big leaguer. AA decided to trust his gut instead and it ended up working. But he said that he told the people he works with to not be discouraged because AA did the opposite of what they suggested. He said that he wouldn't be a good GM if he and his advisors and co-workers always agreed on everything. He said he wants them to be honest with him and tell him when they don't agree with something he does. He said that the only way to learn moving forward is by admitting your mistakes and learn from them. It was great stuff.

It was a piece of the clip they showed from this interview!

Link

Coppy could not be reached for comment. :lol:

Snitker will go Acuna, Donaldson and Freeman at the top of the order. Braves also hoping to add some power to replace Markakis in the 4 spot.

33 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Snitker will go Acuna, Donaldson and Freeman at the top of the order. Braves also hoping to add some power to replace Markakis in the 4 spot.

Definitely understand the reasoning there but if we don't get another big time bat it's not going to work. We cannot have another year of a light hitting guy behind Freeman.

Malachore likes this

I would love to pull Salvador Perez from the Royals and Haniger from Seattle.  Yes, we would have 3 catchers but then with McCann and Flowers, you have a pinch hitter without worrying about not using your spare catcher.   

42 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I'd rather go Acuna, Albies, Freeman,  Donaldson personally. 

I would too. But I understand Donaldson in the 2 hole if we had another big bat for 4th.

24 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

I would love to pull Salvador Perez from the Royals and Haniger from Seattle.  Yes, we would have 3 catchers but then with McCann and Flowers, you have a pinch hitter without worrying about not using your spare catcher.   

With a limited bench you can't afford to carry 3 catchers for an entire season. Also, if the Braves were to trade for Perez we'd have 3 catchers on the roster for a total of $17.2M. That's just too much money tied up in the catcher position.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

With a limited bench you can't afford to carry 3 catchers for an entire season. Also, if the Braves were to trade for Perez we'd have 3 catchers on the roster for a total of $17.2M. That's just too much money tied up in the catcher position.

Remember, two are potentially gone this year.  If we did pull Perez, I think Flowers would go back to the Royals in the deal.    

Just now, usmcdirtybird said:

Remember, two are potentially gone this year.  If we did pull Perez, I think Flowers would go back to the Royals in the deal.    

It just doesn't make much sense from the Royals prospective unless they got back some high end prospects. Also, have you looked at Perez from an offensive prospective? It's not very good. His OBP for his career is only .297. If he's not hitting a HR then he's not doing anything positive offensively. All his offensive value is tied to homeruns. I get where you're thinking because Perez is under contract for 3 years and that would be the perfect bridge until William Contreras is ready. So it makes sense there. I'd just rather roll with the platoon of Flowers and B-Mac this year and play it year-to- year for the next couple of years until it's time to turn it over to Contreras.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

It just doesn't make much sense from the Royals prospective unless they got back some high end prospects. Also, have you looked at Perez from an offensive prospective? It's not very good. His OBP for his career is only .297. If he's not hitting a HR then he's not doing anything positive offensively. All his offensive value is tied to homeruns. I get where you're thinking because Perez is under contract for 3 years and that would be the perfect bridge until William Contreras is ready. So it makes sense there. I'd just rather roll with the platoon of Flowers and B-Mac this year and play it year-to- year for the next couple of years until it's time to turn it over to Contreras.

Honestly, I throw stuff in the air to make topics.  I am very happy where we are and I know we will add more.  I do not want Wright, Riley or PAche moved in anything.  Depending on who we go after (in a trade) depends on the prospects I am willing to lose.  

Falconsfan567 likes this

2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

That's interesting because I assumed Donaldson was the power bat behind Freeman. Just hope we don't bring znick back.

Also have no idea who they could realistically get to hot 4th, thoughts?

17 minutes ago, Malachore said:

That's interesting because I assumed Donaldson was the power bat behind Freeman. Just hope we don't bring znick back.

Also have no idea who they could realistically get to hot 4th, thoughts?

The idea behind Donaldson hitting 2nd is definitely the AA influence. It's been determined that in the ideal lineup you want your main power threat in the 2 spot in the order because the numbers show that generates the most runs. It's why you saw after the Jays got Donaldson from the A's they hit him 2nd. It's why you're starting to see that spread around to other teams like the Cubs and them hitting Bryant or Rizzo 2nd.

With the current guys we have, there is really no ideal guy to hit 4th unless AA has something else planned that we don't know about.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I would too. But I understand Donaldson in the 2 hole if we had another big bat for 4th.

True,  but that puts us right back where we were last season,  no real protection behind Freddie, unless McCann and Flowers turn into beasts during the off season 

16 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

True,  but that puts us right back where we were last season,  no real protection behind Freddie, unless McCann and Flowers turn into beasts during the off season 

Exactly. With the current makeup of the team the top 4 has to be Acuna, Albies, Freeman and Donaldson. That makes the most sense.

12 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mark Bowman said the Mariners wanted the Braves top 3 pitching prospects for Edwin Diaz. 

Can only imagine what they want for Haniger...

26 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Not surprised teams tries to screw us. I guess we wont get a fair trade. 

I think it was more so that Seattle wanted to unload Cano and their best chance was sending Diaz with him. 

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I think it was more so that Seattle wanted to unload Cano and their best chance was sending Diaz with him. 

Yep, if you wouldn't take Cano then you had to pay a steep price.