Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

I'd rather not pay big for a guy who already can't touch 90 on his fastball. 

Keuchel has never been a hard thrower. He's always made his living as a groundball guy. It's not like someone like someone like Julio who was a harder thrower and can't do it anymore. Those are the guys that concern me. Keuchel isn't my first option, but I understand why he's a target.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Keuchel has never been a hard thrower. He's always made his living as a groundball guy. It's not like someone like someone like Julio who was a harder thrower and can't do it anymore. Those are the guys that concern me. Keuchel isn't my first option, but I understand why he's a target.

I just don't think that stuff plays in October.

29 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I just don't think that stuff plays in October.

Career Playoff Stats

• 10 G, 9 GS, 51 2/3 IP, 43 H, 20 R, 19 ER, 5 HR, 16 BB, 48 SO, 3.31 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, .224 AVG

Pretty good in my book.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:11 PM, jidady said:

Coming into 2018, Venters had only earned $4.2 million in baseball. He earned $545k this year. So that potential salary is pretty huge for him.

More than anything, I'm realizing how unlucky he's been medically and thereby financially.

I'd love to be that unlucky financially...lol

12 minutes ago, capologist said:

I'd love to be that unlucky financially...lol

That's 15 years of income and not accounting for travel expenses or medical bills. There's a real chance he's the poorest 33-year-old MLB player in the league.

On 11/26/2018 at 7:56 PM, K26dp said:

The Braves have also apparently signed utilityman Pedro Florimon to a minor league deal. Florimon appeared in 50 games for the Phillies last season, popping up at 2B, SS, 3B, CF, RF, and pitcher.

54 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Braves sign Pedro Florimon to a minor league deal.

I'm guessing the ink finally dried...?

K26dp and Falconsfan567 like this

18 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I'm guessing the ink finally dried...?

Teams sometime take awhile to announce minor league deals, if they do at all. 

Braves are hiring Rick Kranitz as pitching coach. Kranitz spent last season in Philadelphia, his only year as the pitching coach. Most in the league were shocked when the team decided to promote Chris Young to avoid losing him and firing Kranitz. He got a lot of credit for how Nola performed this year.

Falconsfan567, K26dp and JDFIII like this

42 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Braves are hiring Rick Kranitz as pitching coach. Kranitz spent last season in Philadelphia, his only year as the pitching coach. Most in the league were shocked when the team decided to promote Chris Young to avoid losing him and firing Kranitz. He got a lot of credit for how Nola performed this year.

According to Wikipedia, Kranitz was pitching coach with the Phillies for 3 years (2016-2018). He also served as pitching coach with the Marlins in 2006 and 2007 and won Baseball America's major league coach of the year in 2006 for his work as Marlins pitching coach.

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

According to Wikipedia, Kranitz was pitching coach with the Phillies for 3 years (2016-2018). He also served as pitching coach with the Marlins in 2006 and 2007 and won Baseball America's major league coach of the year in 2006 for his work as Marlins pitching coach.

He was assistant pitching coach until Kapler came in and promoted him.

7 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Braves sign Pedro Florimon to a minor league deal.

Gwinnett roster coming together:

1B Ruiz
2B Florimon
SS Marte
3B Riley
LF Demeritte
CF LaMarre
RF Ortega
C Jackson/Lopez

Bench: Valenzuela, Kazmar

SP: 2 of Soroka/Fried/Toussaint, Wright, Wilson, Allard

RP: Dirks, Graham, Mader, Webb, Clouse, Pfeifer, Parsons, Hursh

Jon Morosi reporting that the Braves and Indians are not currently discussing Kluber or anyone else despite what you may hear.

Mark Bowman also debunks interest in Dalla Keuchel. He said the Braves have not contacted anyone regarding Keuchel.

That was great!! Love hearing AA admit that he loves it when the folks he works with tells him that they don't always agree with his decisions and that sometimes they tell him that he's made mistakes in the past so that he learns from them. That's great!!

24 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That was great!! Love hearing AA admit that he loves it when the folks he works with tells him that they don't always agree with his decisions and that sometimes they tell him that he's made mistakes in the past so that he learns from them. That's great!!

Huh?

4 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Huh?

It was something that they showed on MLB Network about AA explaining how decisions are made in the front office. Very insightful and had me appreciating him even more for the way he goes about his business. He explained the decision behind giving Jose Bautista a long-term deal with the Blue Jays. Some of his advisors were against it because Bautista was 29 years old at the time and was coming off his first productive season as a big leaguer. AA decided to trust his gut instead and it ended up working. But he said that he told the people he works with to not be discouraged because AA did the opposite of what they suggested. He said that he wouldn't be a good GM if he and his advisors and co-workers always agreed on everything. He said he wants them to be honest with him and tell him when they don't agree with something he does. He said that the only way to learn moving forward is by admitting your mistakes and learn from them. It was great stuff.

It was a piece of the clip they showed from this interview!

Link

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

It was something that they showed on MLB Network about AA explaining how decisions are made in the front office. Very insightful and had me appreciating him even more for the way he goes about his business. He explained the decision behind giving Jose Bautista a long-term deal with the Blue Jays. Some of his advisors were against it because Bautista was 29 years old at the time and was coming off his first productive season as a big leaguer. AA decided to trust his gut instead and it ended up working. But he said that he told the people he works with to not be discouraged because AA did the opposite of what they suggested. He said that he wouldn't be a good GM if he and his advisors and co-workers always agreed on everything. He said he wants them to be honest with him and tell him when they don't agree with something he does. He said that the only way to learn moving forward is by admitting your mistakes and learn from them. It was great stuff.

It was a piece of the clip they showed from this interview!

Link

I enjoy a self-aware professional who indeed values candor while discouraging groupthink and sycophants...

Falconsfan567 likes this