Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,164 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

I’m not feeling the Frenchy move. Dude is boring.  Like Matt Ryan calling a football game. 

What? Boring? How? Dude is crazy energetic.

19 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

What? Boring? How? Dude is crazy energetic.

I like the guy but I think the Braves could have done better. Glad Joe is gone though. I’ll still watch lol. 

Just now, Black Francis said:

I like the guy but I think the Braves could have done better. Glad Joe is gone though. I’ll still watch lol. 

They could have done better. I just don't see how anyone can call a guy that is nearly literally bouncing off the walls as "boring."

9 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

They could have done better. I just don't see how anyone can call a guy that is nearly literally bouncing off the walls as "boring."

I don’t feel like he brings much of the number crunching to the game which I love but he does tell storiesi guess that’s nice. 

1 minute ago, Black Francis said:

I don’t feel like he brings much of the number crunching to the game which I love but he does tell storiesi guess that’s nice. 

Sadly, that is correct.

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Sadly, that is correct.

You can only tell so many stories. I just think as time goes by he will get stale if he’s not willing to embrace the changes in the game. I believe that he’ll adapt though. 

I'll go ahead and give my opinion on Joe vs Frenchy...

Frenchy just rambled on and on, and while at first it was okay, but he reminds me of my co-worker here who will not shut up.

I'd rather have Glavine or Joe personally.  I'm also an eye test guy and I understand that the analytics are the new way to go, but if I see a guy who's not hitting, he's just not hitting.  Not because he's facing a lefty who stands to the third base side, wearing black shoes, with white uniforms and he put his socks on left foot first.  He's just not hitting.

29 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Frenchy just rambled on and on, and while at first it was okay, but he reminds me of my co-worker here who will not shut up.

I'd rather have Glavine or Joe personally.  I'm also an eye test guy and I understand that the analytics are the new way to go, but if I see a guy who's not hitting, he's just not hitting.  Not because he's facing a lefty who stands to the third base side, wearing black shoes, with white uniforms and he put his socks on left foot first.  He's just not hitting.

That's fine. There's nothing wrong with that. Where it becomes a problem is things like "this guy just knows how to win" used to describe a guy who's 8-3 with a 4.50 ERA vs. a guy who's 3-6 with a 3.50 ERA. Guess the guy with 3.50 ERA doesn't know how to win because he's not getting rewarded with wins?

Or "put the ball in play and good things happen." Notice how that line is never used when a guy swings at a terrible pitch and hits in to a inning ending double play with runners at 1st and 2nd? Why is it not used then? Because it doesn't fit the narrative. Because contrary to popular belief, there are countless times where a strikeout is better than swinging at something stupid and hitting into a double play.

That's the stuff that just makes my skin crawl.

4 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I hear you, but the idea of Frenchy speaking with authority about exit velocity, launch angle, and the like cracks me up.

1 hour ago, Black Francis said:

That’s off the books 

Mets and Mariners have no quite finished the deal but it's close. It appears the last hang up is the Mariners wanting that McNeil guy that hit like Tony Gwynn against the Braves and the Mets are trying to counter with a pitcher instead. Rest of the package has been agreed upon. Hope the McNeil guy gets traded. He was a terror against the Braves.

14 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Mehhhhhhhhh. I know it would never have been possible, but I would have thrown a bunch of money at Boog. Jeff is basically Joe Simpson, but younger.

At least Franceour actually seems to enjoy watching baseball.

ATLBrave and Falconsfan567 like this

One more note on broadcast teams. Jim Powell only got a 1 year deal and it was with reduced work. Could they be setting Jim up to be Chips replacement next season? Ben Ingram got an increased role in radio this year, possibly setting him up to replace Powell.

6 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

One more note on broadcast teams. Jim Powell only got a 1 year deal and it was with reduced work. Could they be setting Jim up to be Chips replacement next season? Ben Ingram got an increased role in radio this year, possibly setting him up to replace Powell.

I highly doubt it but it would amazingly great if it happened!!! Jim and Ben are great PBP guys.

Non-tender deadline is an hour away.

Good deal with Venters - especially if we use him as a LOOGY - which Snitker didnt always do. Heck of a comeback season for that guy!

Edited by ATL Fan in the DMV