Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,011 posts in this topic

Just now, CrimsonFalcon said:

Im not saying they are similar,  but Duvall and Zunino have similar styles,  great defense,  big home run power, but strike outs galore.  I think if Duvall got more at bats with us,  his numbers would be better. 

They play different positions so there are different standards or expectations of what is acceptable production and what isn't acceptable production. Zunino is also younger. Duvall has also gotten worse each season in the majors, Zunino hasn't. Yes, he was horrible offensively in 2018 but his two best seasons of production were 2016 and 2017 and Duvall hasn't ever come close to having that kind of production in a season.

Adam Duvall (30 Years Old)

• 2016 = 104 wRC+
  • 2017 = 97 wRC+
  • 2018 = 69 wRC+

Mike Zunino (27 Years Old)

• 2014 = 87 wRC+
  • 2015 = 47 wRC+
  • 2016 = 117 wRC+
  • 2017 = 127 wRC+
  • 2018 = 84 wRC+

In 2017 Zunino hit .251/.331/.509. The best slash line Duvall's ever posted in a season is .241/.297/.498.

Considering that one is an outfielder where big production is expected and the other is a catcher where big production is rare, yeah, I'd take Zunino in a heartbeat and get rid of Duvall in a heartbeat.

Duvall was a gold glove finalist for his work in Cincinnati.  I know there's a difference based on position,  but think about it objectively,  defense wins.  I am in no way saying that he's better but the comparison between the two players is something to think about.  Duvall was a 30 homer guy with Cincinnati.  Has Zunino done that? 

Side note:  I'm drinking in lovely dothan alabama. 

Edited by CrimsonFalcon
K26dp likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That is an absolutely massive increase!! But a lot of that is due to the increase in attendance and getting a couple home playoff games!! A deep playoff run next year and we could see the Braves easily take in over $500M. Construction costs should continue to decrease as those things get paid off.

The Braves are set up well to be a top-5 revenue (and presumably payroll) team in baseball after a new broadcast deal. The current one expires after the 2027 season.

Falconsfan567 likes this

1 minute ago, K26dp said:

The Braves are set up well to be a top-5 revenue (and presumably payroll) team in baseball after a new broadcast deal. The current one expires after the 2027 season.

Yep. TV deal will be massive!! Could you imagine the Braves being back in the top 5 in payroll? An area that we haven't seen since the hey day of the 90s?

2 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep. TV deal will be massive!! Could you imagine the Braves being back in the top 5 in payroll? An area that we haven't seen since the hey day of the 90s?

No teams other than the Yankees and Dodgers have better regional appeal. If the team performs as well all hope it does over the next 6 years or so, it will be a monster.*

*Barring baseball doing stupid things like have a prolonged labor stoppage or putting in regional rivals in places like Charlotte. 

9 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Duvall was a gold glove finalist for his work in Cincinnati.  I know there's a difference based on position,  but think about it objectively,  defense wins.  I am in no way saying that he's better but the comparison between the two players is something to think about.  Duvall was a 30 homer guy with Cincinnati.  Has Zunino done that? 

Side note:  I'm drinking in lovely dothan alabama. 

Where am I not being objective? Where did I say defense doesn't matter? I admitted when the Braves traded for Duvall that he was better defensively than I originally thought. But if all you do is play defense then you're Ender Inciarte and we don't need two of those guys? Also, Duvall hit 30 homeruns in Cincinnati. No, Zunino hasn't hit 30 homeruns in a season but he did hit 25 in Seattle and 25 in Seattle as a catcher is far more impressive and useful than 30 homeruns in Cincinnati as an outfielder.

Just now, K26dp said:

No teams other than the Yankees and Dodgers have better regional appeal. If the team performs as well all hope it does over the next 6 years or so, it will be a monster.

Absolutely, and who knows where things might be come 2027 as far as MLB TV deals go. Think the Braves will ever go the Red Sox, Yankees or Mets route of having their own TV network?

32 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Absolutely, and who knows where things might be come 2027 as far as MLB TV deals go. Think the Braves will ever go the Red Sox, Yankees or Mets route of having their own TV network?

Considering their current parent company is a huge player in cable/satellite broadcasting, I think it's a possibility. 

Mark Bowman says Brantley and Ramos are near the top of the Braves wish list. They still prefer to make trades but those are high on their list if they cant.

20 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Ronald Acuna named NL Rookie of the Year. First Brave since Kimbrel and sixth in team history. 

With 27 out of 30 first place votes.

I'm annoyed it wasn't unanimous.

49 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Ronald Acuna named NL Rookie of the Year. First Brave since Kimbrel and sixth in team history. 

Eighth.

On 11/10/2018 at 4:28 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

Where am I not being objective? Where did I say defense doesn't matter? I admitted when the Braves traded for Duvall that he was better defensively than I originally thought. But if all you do is play defense then you're Ender Inciarte and we don't need two of those guys? Also, Duvall hit 30 homeruns in Cincinnati. No, Zunino hasn't hit 30 homeruns in a season but he did hit 25 in Seattle and 25 in Seattle as a catcher is far more impressive and useful than 30 homeruns in Cincinnati as an outfielder.

So glad that bum zunino got traded so you will shut up about him

10 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

So glad that bum zunino got traded so you will shut up about him

LOL!! Says the man that declared the season over in June and never owned up to it.

TheTrue7 likes this

I know the MLB offseason is a long one but could someone please make a freaking move so that the rest of the dominoes will start to fall