Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,053 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That would be incredible. I wouldn't hate it. I could pretty quick get over my disgust of him. LOL!

Same, I would get over it quickly too! 

I would love to see Harper here. It would add some pop to our lineup and give us an even more exciting team. 

22 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I don't see why he wouldn't want to come here. I don't see what anyone wouldn't want to come here. The sky is the limit with the Braves. Plus he's already got a previous connection with AA so that might help to sell him as well.

I forget AA was in LA.

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Well, let me just tell you why folks are in love with J.T. Realmuto and compare him to Yasmani Grandal.

J.T. Realmuto

• Age = 27 (28 in March)
  • Free Agent = After 2020 Season (2 full seasons of team control)
  • Career = .279/.327/.442 (.768)
  • Last 3 Seasons = .286/.338/.454 (.792)
  • fWAR = 14.3 (4 Full Seasons)

Yasmani Grandal

• Age = 29 (30 in November)
  • Free Agent = After 2018 Season
  • Career = .240/.341/.441 (.782)
  • Last 3 Seasons = .239/.332/.467 (.799)
  • fWAR = 15.2 (5 Full Seasons)

So, that's why folks are higher on Realmuto than Grandal. But I'd love to have either of them. Grandal will only cost the Braves money. Realmuto will cost the Braves money and mega prospects.

Framing Runs Saved:

Grandal: 15.7 (1st)
Realmuto: -0.4 (78th)

I mean, I like Realmuto and I suspect the Braves could work with him to improve his framing. But the main thing is, as you point out, Grandal only costs money.

Braves BB/9 by month:

March/April: 4.90 (30/30)
May: 3.38 (22/30)
June: 3.26 (21/30)
July: 3.97 (27/30)
August: 3.00 (16/30)
September: 5.10 (30/30)

Overall: 3.92 (29/30)

Best on team (qualified starter): Anibal Sanchez, 2.77
Best on team (non-qualified starter): Brandon McCarthy, 2.40
Best on team (reliever): Dan Winkler, 2.98
Best on team (MLB debut): Mike Soroka, 2.45

Worst on team (qualified starter): Sean Newcomb, 4.45
Worst on team (non-qualified starter): Max Fried, 5.35
Worst on team (reliever): Sam Freeman, 5.72
Worst on team (MLB debut): Kyle Wright, 9.00

Passprotection likes this

42 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Framing Runs Saved:

Grandal: 15.7 (1st)
Realmuto: -0.4 (78th)

I mean, I like Realmuto and I suspect the Braves could work with him to improve his framing. But the main thing is, as you point out, Grandal only costs money.

Where did you get those stats at?

6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Where did you get those stats at?

Baseball Prospectus. They do the most groundbreaking work on catchers defense.

1 minute ago, K26dp said:

Baseball Prospectus. They do the most groundbreaking work on catchers defense.

Can you post what the Braves team pitching stats were throwing to Suzuki vs. Flowers?

13 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Can you post what the Braves team pitching stats were throwing to Suzuki vs. Flowers?

Rivera: 1.13 ERA, 1.13 RA9, 32 PA
Perez: 2.40 ERA, 2.96 RA9, 214 PA
Suzuki: 3.80 ERA, 4.13 RA9, 3167 PA
Flowers: 3.81 ERA, 4.06 RA9, 2587 PA
Stewart: 4.24 ERA, 4.76 RA9, 155 PA

Just now, K26dp said:

Rivera: 1.13 ERA, 1.13 RA9, 32 PA
Perez: 2.40 ERA, 2.96 RA9, 214 PA
Suzuki: 3.80 ERA, 4.13 RA9, 3167 PA
Flowers: 3.81 ERA, 4.06 RA9, 2587 PA
Stewart: 4.24 ERA, 4.76 RA9, 155 PA

I'm stunned that the numbers for Suzuki and Flowers are basically exactly the same when there can be such great individual differences between the pitchers, especially Teheran and Newcomb.

2 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That would be incredible. I wouldn't hate it. I could pretty quick get over my disgust of him. LOL!

I once said after the home run derby that Bruce Springsteen should have sued him for gimmick infringement...... I would retract my previous statement if the braves somehow land him....... I mean a outfield of Harper, Acuna, and Ender would be amazing..... Especially if they can get Acuna to stop over running  balls in the outfield.

Also:

Framing Runs Saved:
Flowers: 13.7
Rivera: 0.1
Stewart: -0.3
Perez: -0.9
Suzuki: -7.5

Throwing Runs Saved:
Perez: 0.0
Stewart: 0.0
Rivera: -0.1
Flowers: -0.2
Suzuki: -0.4

Fielding Runs Above Average (BP's overall defensive metric, 0 = average)
Flowers: 13.2
Rivera: 0.2
Stewart: -0.4
Perez: -0.8
Suzuki: -5.5

Flowers was 3rd in MLB in Framing Runs Saved and 4th in Fielding Runs Above Average among catchers in MLB.

How about Wilson Ramos? From what I remember he's pretty good both offensively and defensively and he's only 30 years old right now

7 minutes ago, oztin said:

How about Wilson Ramos? From what I remember he's pretty good both offensively and defensively and he's only 30 years old right now

He's good at both, but his injury history scares me. I'd consider him a fallback option.

Drew4719 and Falconsfan567 like this

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

He's good at both, but his injury history scares me. I'd consider him a fallback option.

That worries me also. But with the way we platoon catchers it could help lessen his chance of injuring himself. It like Flowers said when he got his extension, no one can catch everyday in the Atlanta heat

Drew4719 and K26dp like this

Harper is an extreme long shot but he has spoken highly of Braves fans before. In 2013 he said "I love these fans, I really do. They're unbelievable for their team."

Then there's  last season when he said Braves and Mets fans are the rudest in the league. So hes obviously felt the rage of being the best player on a rival :lol:

I wonder if Anthopolous can get a slightly higher payroll with the increase revenue from SunTrust and playoff run. If Liberty didn't approve another cent of funding then the Braves still have over $50M to spend. There's very few salaries on the books for 2019 so AA can totally rework the team even without that. If the payroll was to be raised that's just more gravy. McGuirk kept saying in July that AA would get whatever money he needed.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Harper is an extreme long shot but he has spoken highly of Braves fans before. In 2013 he said "I love these fans, I really do. They're unbelievable for their team."

Then there's  last season when he said Braves and Mets fans are the rudest in the league. So hes obviously felt the rage of being the best player on a rival :lol:

I want Harper here, to me it will depend on the length of his contract. I just can't see 10 years, if it's 7 then I'm 100% in on it.

19 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

If the Braves jump into the market to sign a free agent starting the pitcher the one I want is Patrick Corbin. It took him a while to find himself again after Tommy John surgery but's coming off the best season of his career and just turned 29 in July. He's capable of giving the Braves great innings. He's thrown over 200 innings twice (2013, 2018) and turned in 189 in 2017. His ERA was 3.15 this year but his FIP was 2.47. So he was hurt by the Diamondbacks not being a great defensive team. 246 SO this year too!! Him and Folty (one from the right side and the other from the left side) would make one heIl of a team.

Reports today the Yankees are the heavy, heavy favorite for Corbin. He grew up in Syracuse, NY and is from a family of lifetime Yankee fans. 

Projected arbitration salaries via MLB Trade Rumors 

Braves (10)

• Kevin Gausman – $9.2MM
  • Mike Foltynewicz – $5.5MM
  • Arodys Vizcaino – $4.8MM
  • Adam Duvall – $3.1MM
  • Dan Winkler – $1.6MM
  • Jonny Venters – $1.5MM
  • Sam Freeman – $1.5MM
  • Charlie Culberson – $1.4MM
  • Jose A. Ramirez – $700K
  • Jacob Lindgren – $600K

Braves can obviously opt to non-tender any of them. I would expect Duvall to be the most likely one to get his walking papers. I could see Venters staying and Freeman walking as well.

6 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

WTF is a Jacob Lindgren?

Young lefty RP. He was a second round pick by the Yankees but had to have TJ surgery. Yankees let him go and Coppy decided to take a low risk investment. He ended up hurting his elbow again in Spring this year and was out for the season. Hes basically a young Venters. He throws 95-97 with hard sinking action. He would have been a bullpen candidate this season had he been healthy.