Ransack

2018/2019 Braves Offseason Thread

2,078 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

I'm pretty sure this is the winter we finally move Julio. He finished pretty well and looked good yesterday. 

I think an alternative is to move Teheran to the pen. His L/R splits have been ridiculous anyway, pitching him out of the pen could minimize that. Lawd knows he's competitive enough.

Yes, $11M is a lot for a mid-innings reliever, and ideally we'd just move him, but I'd rather get use for him an rehab his value than get pennies on the dollar for him. 

36 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I would be pretty surprised if Soroka isn't in the rotation. When he pitched, he was effective.

Soroka will be staff leader by mid-season 2019.

35 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Mike Maddux isnt leaving STL. Cardinals made him one of the highest paid coaches in the league. He reportedly had input in their managerial hire so he would stay 

That sucks.

In his interview today Snitker admitted he wondered if the Braves would be strong enough to put up a fight in the playoffs. He said he admires the Dodgers and how deep they are. He said he wants to see the team make steps towards that kind of depth and thinks they will.

8 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Julio is used to rebuilds.  Trade with the Marlins for JT Realmuto then Julio will be home on a rebuild as an ace again.  

Julio and?

8 minutes ago, usmcdirtybird said:

Julio is used to rebuilds.  Trade with the Marlins for JT Realmuto then Julio will be home on a rebuild as an ace again.  

It's going to take a metric **** ton more than Julio to get the best Catcher in baseball. 

2 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I don't get the hype behind Realmuto... i'd prefer Grandal.

Well, let me just tell you why folks are in love with J.T. Realmuto and compare him to Yasmani Grandal.

J.T. Realmuto

• Age = 27 (28 in March)
  • Free Agent = After 2020 Season (2 full seasons of team control)
  • Career = .279/.327/.442 (.768)
  • Last 3 Seasons = .286/.338/.454 (.792)
  • fWAR = 14.3 (4 Full Seasons)

Yasmani Grandal

• Age = 29 (30 in November)
  • Free Agent = After 2018 Season
  • Career = .240/.341/.441 (.782)
  • Last 3 Seasons = .239/.332/.467 (.799)
  • fWAR = 15.2 (5 Full Seasons)

So, that's why folks are higher on Realmuto than Grandal. But I'd love to have either of them. Grandal will only cost the Braves money. Realmuto will cost the Braves money and mega prospects.

Drew4719 and Malachore like this

21 minutes ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

I don't get the hype behind Realmuto... i'd prefer Grandal.

Because Realmuto is younger and better.

The Braves have to acquire one of them IMO.

Drew4719 likes this

11 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Because Realmuto is younger and better.

The Braves have to acquire one of them IMO.

Anybody got a good idea on the market what Grandal costs?

9 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Probably something like 4/60 or 5/80. Something in that neighborhood. It's a tough price to swallow but it's something that the Braves need to do.

Malachore and Drew4719 like this

@K26dp Mentioned in another thread about getting a catcher and building a deep bullpen and I'm all in on that plan as well. You just look at how the Royals won the World Series in 2015. They had average at best starting pitching but a complete shutdown bullpen. Look at the Brewers this year. Same thing, average at best starting pitching but a complete shutdown bullpen. Same can be said of the Yankees. Their starting pitch isn't very deep but that bullpen, wow. I wouldn't mind one bit the Braves going that route at all.

Here's some notable free agents

• Cody Allen
  • Brad Brach
  • Jeurys Familia
  • Kelvin Herrera
  • Greg Holland
  • Joe Kelly
  • Craig Kimbrel
  • Adam Ottavino
  • A.J. Ramos
  • David Robertson
  • Adam Warren

So, bullpen market is deep this winter. Loads of good options to build a great bullpen and make games 6 innings.

23 minutes ago, Dawggone said:

Likely the highest contract we've given a FA but it needs to happen. Either him or JT Realmuto.

1 hour ago, TheTrue7 said:

Julio and?

I think it would take Riley to get them to listen and possibly Pache too and as much as I want Realmuto that's just too much.

14 minutes ago, labradford said:

Smoking the reefer...

:lol: very nice!

9 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I think it would take Riley to get them to listen and possibly Pache too and as much as I want Realmuto that's just too much.

Quick no

26 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

@K26dp Mentioned in another thread about getting a catcher and building a deep bullpen and I'm all in on that plan as well. You just look at how the Royals won the World Series in 2015. They had average at best starting pitching but a complete shutdown bullpen. Look at the Brewers this year. Same thing, average at best starting pitching but a complete shutdown bullpen. Same can be said of the Yankees. Their starting pitch isn't very deep but that bullpen, wow. I wouldn't mind one bit the Braves going that route at all.

Here's some notable free agents

• Cody Allen
  • Brad Brach
  • Jeurys Familia
  • Kelvin Herrera
  • Greg Holland
  • Joe Kelly
  • Craig Kimbrel
  • Adam Ottavino
  • A.J. Ramos
  • David Robertson
  • Adam Warren

So, bullpen market is deep this winter. Loads of good options to build a great bullpen and make games 6 innings.

I'd kill for a new version of O'Ventbrel.

20 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Absolutely not. Just pay for Grandal.

25 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Yeah that's really not worth it IMO. I would love him, but I'll pass if we it's both of those. 

Just now, Malachore said:

100% agree but he has to want to sign here. 

I don't see why he wouldn't want to come here. I don't see what anyone wouldn't want to come here. The sky is the limit with the Braves. Plus he's already got a previous connection with AA so that might help to sell him as well.