Spts1

A Rod says Braves should get Machado or Harper next year

66 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Malachore said:

I mean to ask you what you think about Marte and if there is a chance the Pirates would trade him.

I just feel like this guy is going to go off.

Meh. He's in his 30s now and his production has dropped since he was busted for PEDs. Reportedly a bit of a head case too. 

Of the Pirates, I like both their catchers, Cervelli and Diaz. If Grandal ends up too rich for the Braves and the Marlins keep wanting Acuna+ for Realmuto, I'd check in with the Pirates for either one of those guys.

Malachore likes this

21 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Meh. He's in his 30s now and his production has dropped since he was busted for PEDs. Reportedly a bit of a head case too. 

Of the Pirates, I like both their catchers, Cervelli and Diaz. If Grandal ends up too rich for the Braves and the Marlins keep wanting Acuna+ for Realmuto, I'd check in with the Pirates for either one of those guys.

Dang thought he was much younger than that.

14 hours ago, Malachore said:

Khris Davis was someone I was thinking about, just wasn't sure if Oakland would trade him.

To Billy Beane, there's no such thing as untouchable players.

3 hours ago, jidady said:

To Billy Beane, there's no such thing as untouchable players.

To Atlanta there is. One of them would be a left fielder that it too bad to play in the field. Been there, done that.

3 hours ago, K26dp said:

To Atlanta there is. One of them would be a left fielder that it too bad to play in the field. Been there, done that.

Oh, I'm not lobbying for any sub-.250 hitters who can't defend and come at high prices. It's why I'm not interested in Harper, either. I'm just saying that Beane isn't a guy who would call anybody untouchable, something he's proven many times over the years. It's something I love about him, even when he does stupid things like Tim Hudson for Charles Thomas and Dan Meyer. 

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Oh, I'm not lobbying for any sub-.250 hitters who can't defend and come at high prices. It's why I'm not interested in Harper, either. I'm just saying that Beane isn't a guy who would call anybody untouchable, something he's proven many times over the years. It's something I love about him, even when he does stupid things like Tim Hudson for Charles Thomas and Dan Meyer. 

Juan Cruz was in that deal too. I don't think it's fair to say that deal at the time it was made was dumb. Hudson only had 1 year of team control left when the Braves made that deal and Dan Meyer was a pretty highly touted prospect. Meyer was a 1st round pick who was rated as a top 100 prospect by BA in both 2004 and 2005.

5 hours ago, K26dp said:

?

16 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Juan Cruz was in that deal too. I don't think it's fair to say that deal at the time it was made was dumb. Hudson only had 1 year of team control left when the Braves made that deal and Dan Meyer was a pretty highly touted prospect. Meyer was a 1st round pick who was rated as a top 100 prospect by BA in both 2004 and 2005.

That deal was supposed to be Marcus Giles at one point. We got off very, very light, and I say that as a Charles Thomas superfan for his one season of Kudzu. Oakland couldn't afford to keep their guys. St. Louis and the Braves were the beneficiaries, although Mulder's health collapsed after a great season. 

14 minutes ago, jidady said:

That deal was supposed to be Marcus Giles at one point. We got off very, very light, and I say that as a Charles Thomas superfan for his one season of Kudzu. Oakland couldn't afford to keep their guys. St. Louis and the Braves were the beneficiaries, although Mulder's health collapsed after a great season. 

Yeah, it turned out great for the Braves because those guys didn't pan out. But I thought at the time it was a fair deal for each side.

I really hated seeing Thomas go but I liked the deal for Hudson. Turned out to be a tremendous trade for us. Thomas played 30 more games in MLB after that trade. He only played 3 more seasons before retiring. 

On 10/9/2018 at 11:23 PM, K26dp said:

Acuna+  for Reamulto? :lol:

There is no one in all of baseball I would trade Acuna for straight up.

Spts1 likes this

7 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Acuna+  for Reamulto? :lol:

There is no one in all of baseball I would trade Acuna for straight up.

Agree 100%. I had some friends a while ago that had this discussion with me. I said Trout is the only player I would consider trading Acuna for straight up, but even then, I'll go with Acuna. Trout is better right now, but Acuna has so much upside, is much cheaper, and is under control for longer than Trout. 

g-dawg likes this

5 hours ago, RLD said:

That's the dope talking from A Rod. The juice has fried his brain, not that he had much of one to begin with, that's why he used dope to cheat. The Braves don't need the over-priced Harper or Machado.

Comments like this just make me laugh.

There isn't a team in MLB that wouldn't benefit from having either of those guys. Both are massive upgrades to Nick and Dansby.

Spts1 likes this

7 hours ago, RLD said:

That's the dope talking from A Rod. The juice has fried his brain, not that he had much of one to begin with, that's why he used dope to cheat. The Braves don't need the over-priced Harper or Machado.

Lol