Spts1

A Rod says Braves should get Machado or Harper next year

66 posts in this topic

I been saying they should go get a big bat.  After the Braves vs Dodgers game tonight  A Rod pointed out that their payroll will be more than halved next season.  No excuses for the Braves to not make a big move in the off season...

Edited by slickgadawg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will. I'm not sure I can get too excited about giving Harper a ton of money though. I would look for us to make a trade or two for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need to sink $250M in these guys. We can spend that money better to fill multiple holes. We need a couple of bullpen arms and a new OF. I'm not paying Harper $35-40M a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly if you gave me the choice of Machado, Harper and Realmuto I take Realmuto in a heartbeat. 

Then I'd sign an OF and put Riley at 3rd. Use the rest for some big arms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, m2Falcons said:

I'd like Trout as a Brave.

That's the move, but I doubt the Angels do it. Ohtani and him could be #1/#2 in the majors in WAR over the next five years. I doubt they get split up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malachore said:

Honestly if you gave me the choice of Machado, Harper and Realmuto I take Realmuto in a heartbeat. 

Then I'd sign an OF and put Riley at 3rd. Use the rest for some big arms.

Not even a question IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going to spend big money on a guy, Kershaw is who I would go after if he opts out. We have options at 3B who have more power than Machado. 

But I doubt we would spend $250 million on anyone from outside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kershaw is great but his back is starting to give out. He hasn't able to hit 30 starts since 2015. Hes great when hes healthy but hes only been pitching 160-170 innings a year. Thats over 3 years now. That's a scary thought when you're talking about the kind of money he'll pull.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Malachore said:

Honestly if you gave me the choice of Machado, Harper and Realmuto I take Realmuto in a heartbeat. 

Then I'd sign an OF and put Riley at 3rd. Use the rest for some big arms.

Over the guy who just eliminated the Braves? Oh well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Kershaw is great but his back is starting to give out. He hasn't able to hit 30 starts since 2015. Hes great when hes healthy but hes only been pitching 160-170 innings a year. Thats over 3 years now. That's a scary thought when you're talking about the kind of money he'll pull.

Yeah, but I would rather spend the money on him than on Harper. 

Honestly I would rather not spend money on any of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Malachore said:

Honestly if you gave me the choice of Machado, Harper and Realmuto I take Realmuto in a heartbeat. 

Then I'd sign an OF and put Riley at 3rd. Use the rest for some big arms.

Replace Realmuto with Grandal, and you have the same offseason recipe that I believe in. But I wouldn't turn my nose up at Realmuto either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nereek said:

I say braves should focus on trading for a true ace.

Here is a complete list of "true aces" (IMO):

Max Scherzer: not available
Chris Sale: not available
Corey Kluber: not available
Justin Verlander: not available
Jacob deGrom: probably not available if the new Mets GM has any brains at all
Aaron Nola: not available
Clayton Kershaw: possibly available, but likely out of Braves budget range

I'd rather take the money and buy offense and bullpen.

ATL Fan in the DMV likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oakland is working to extend Khris Davis but if they can't get comfortable I'd love to make that trade. I'm still on board the sign Kimbrel wagon as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Replace Realmuto with Grandal, and you have the same offseason recipe that I believe in. But I wouldn't turn my nose up at Realmuto either.

Man I just don't know about Grandal. I know catching is about more than hitting but how much $$$ is a career .240 hitter worth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Here is a complete list of "true aces" (IMO):

Max Scherzer: not available
Chris Sale: not available
Corey Kluber: not available
Justin Verlander: not available
Jacob deGrom: probably not available if the new Mets GM has any brains at all
Aaron Nola: not available
Clayton Kershaw: possibly available, but likely out of Braves budget range

I'd rather take the money and buy offense and bullpen.

Out of that list, Jacob deGrom probably has the least chance of ending here via trade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Man I just don't know about Grandal. I know catching is about more than hitting but how much $$$ is a career .240 hitter worth?

A switch-hitting .340 OBP catcher with power and also is the best everyday defensive catcher in the game? I'd say about 5Y/$85M. 

I also like that we'd only be surrendering budget, not prospects and budget, to get him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need 2 bats thats for sure..dont care who it is...outfuelder, catcher, left side of the infield...i dont care. But i would suggest we use carmargo or swanson in a trade package because we cant have both those bats on the left side, we need way more production

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now