Devonta Freeman to play Sunday after 3-game absence

Goober Pyle

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24883563

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Atlanta Falcons two-time Pro Bowl running back Devonta Freeman, sidelined the past three games due to a right knee contusion, will play in Sunday's matchup with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn said Thursday that Freeman will play. Freeman said Wednesday that he was comfortable enough to return to action.

"I'm in-tune with my body and myself, so I know when I can be me,'' Freeman told reporters Wednesday. "Just getting back out there when I'm comfortable enough. I think right now, I'm comfortable enough to get out there. I feel good. I feel explosive. I'm ready to run.''

Freeman injured the posterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament in the same knee during last year's regular-season finale, although he did not undergo surgery. He re-injured the knee after playing 39 snaps in the Falcons' 18-12 season-opening loss at Philadelphia.

Freeman returned to practice in a limited role last week but was inactive against Cincinnati.

"I feel good,'' Freeman said. "I feel real good, excited, about being out here. Coming out doing something I love to do is always a good time. I'm just excited to be out here.''

Tevin Coleman started at running back the last three games with rookie Ito Smith as the backup. The Falcons have found success in the past with the two-headed attack of Freeman and Coleman, with offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian even using them as the same time, on occasion. The Falcons currently rank 21st in the league with an average of 96 rushing yards per game.

The Falcons are 1-3 heading into the matchup with the 1-2-1 Steelers. The Steelers allow 115.8 rushing yards per game, which ranks tied for 21st in the league.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Maybe it's just me, but I would've let him rest until after the bye...

Probably if our record was better, they might have waited, but I think they are feeling the pressure to win this one.

EDIT: Or it could be that Free is just ready to go

1 minute ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I definitely understand that logic. I'm just don't think he'll come in and be THAT much of an upgrade.

IDK

I've always liked Coleman, but I've watched him the last couple of games, and I do think Free has better vision.

Really, I think the ought to play them together more.

1 minute ago, rounz said:

IDK

I've always liked Coleman, but I've watched him the last couple of games, and I do think Free has better vision.

Really, I think the ought to play them together more.

Totally agree. IMO, Coleman has speed over Free...but Free's running style is more to my liking.

I'd LOVE to see both on the field at the same time more often. With Ito looking like a real player...we have an embarrassment of riches at RB

13 minutes ago, Bunchy Carter said:

Totally agree. IMO, Coleman has speed over Free...but Free's running style is more to my liking.

I'd LOVE to see both on the field at the same time more often. With Ito looking like a real player...we have an embarrassment of riches at RB

Yeah, it's hard to say sometimes because so much of their success depends on the line, the play and other circumstances, but I still have this picture in my mind of Free fighting so hard to get into the endzone on one of those toss sweeps in the first game

24 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Feel bad for ito, dude was quickly becoming a fan favorite. Wonder how they will deploy all 3 backs 

Yeah, I think he's gonna be a good one.  Like Bunchy said:" we have an embarrassment of riches at RB "

2 hours ago, Bunchy Carter said:

I definitely understand that logic. I'm just don't think he'll come in and be THAT much of an upgrade.

We've had one decent game since he left, not like our running game is even top 10. We need him forsure, doesn't need to be rushed of course. But if he ready he an upgrade 

Edited by Dirtybird3

56 minutes ago, Jesus said:

How did Coleman play so well against the Panthers, but look so butt the last couple weeks? Is it a Levtrie issue?

no part of it is Coleman, unlike the Panthers game he’s not being , patient nor showing good reads like he reverted back to 2015. He shows flashes but not consistently. His vision has improved but he still relies on his speed too much, that’s his biggest issue honestly. Relies on speed and nothing else. I’ve watched him these last two games to see how he would respond, and he continues to try and outrun people without anything else

Edited by caponine

Put on that rushing defensive lineman Coleman is a beast when you get him on the edge in the right situation. Free has better vision and wiggle for this style offense We need both. I love that block Ito put on that Cincinnati rusher. All would be better if we could bring back 260 lb FB Fowler but TD and DQ won't do it

“I'm in-tune with my body and myself, so I know when I can be me,'' Freeman told reporters Wednesday. "Just getting back out there when I'm comfortable enough. I think right now, I'm comfortable enough to get out there. I feel good. I feel explosive. I'm ready to run.''

I’m not getting the warm & fuzzzies with this statement.

If he’s any less than 100%, he needs to stay the **** out of the lineup.  He sounds as though he’s trying to convince himself. 

1 hour ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Feel bad for ito, dude was quickly becoming a fan favorite. Wonder how they will deploy all 3 backs 

I would deploy like this:

Free - rock toter. Uncanny reads. Shiftier than most. Ankle breaker

Ito - back up RB. Good reads. Not on Free's level yet but better than Teco

Teco - change of pace back, Eric Metcalf role. Still think we could make him a star

Split up the snaps. Whatever we do hold onto the dam ball and pick up your blitz assignments!

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Saw a crazy stat...I dont have a link..

But @gazoo called it..

Ito leads all backs ...ALL BACKS IN THE NFL...at making defenders miss....

I like watching him run...

Be careful ROH....our friend gazoo has been know to embellish a player's abilities, just a tad.....:ninja:

Seriously, Ito has show some flashes, but he's not Freeman (at least not a healthy freeman). 

6 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Be careful ROH....our friend gazoo has been know to embellish a player's abilities, just a tad.....:ninja:

Seriously, Ito has show some flashes, but he's not Freeman (at least not a healthy freeman). 

Lol....thats why I didn't compare the 2

Just giving him props for his evaluation

:lol:

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Saw a crazy stat...I dont have a link..

But @gazoo called it..

Ito leads all backs ...ALL BACKS IN THE NFL...at making defenders miss....

I like watching him run...

They're going to have to figure out a way to get him some snaps. The kid is way too good to waste on the bench.