Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mqg96

The Falcoholic: Dan Quinn already missed his chance to fix the Atlanta Falcons defense

62 posts in this topic

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2018/10/2/17923576/dan-quinn-already-missed-his-chance-to-fix-the-atlanta-falcons-defense

Remember last week? I sure do. It feels like only a few days ago. As per usual, the Atlanta Falcons were hit with another major injury to their defense after their defense had already hemorrhaged yards and points for four quarters and one awful overtime drive.

We offered up some potential fixes for the team that would be just enough glue and tape to keep the defense together until Deion Jones returns. Those players included Eric Reid, John Simon, and Earl Thomas. Those players have been signed by the Carolina Panthers, broken their leg, and signed by the New England Patriots, respectively.

It looks like Quinn missed his opportunity entirely to shore up the problematic secondary. There were options, but he was not interested in any starters.

Well, lets see how that plan worked out. Kemal Ishmael only played on special teams. Jordan Richards only played 19 defensive snaps. Last Monday’s plan didn’t last six days. Instead, Brian Poole played a lot of safety, pushing the very raw Isaiah Oliver into action.

None of that worked. Andy Dalton toss up 37 points.

You don’t end up at 1-3 without some problems. Criticism will come naturally from that record. Unfortunately, Quinn painted himself into a corner. The easiest moves are gone. The Falcons were struggling with the loss of Adrian Clayborn and Dontari Poe, then they lost Keanu Neal, Deion Jones, and Ricardo Allen. That’s five starters from 2017, and the Falcons have signed Sharrod Neasman.

Sorry, but that’s a bad move. This is reminiscent of watching the league’s worst defense in 2014. We heard each week the staff would look at personnel, scheme, and play calling, and we saw the exact same result every week.

Sometimes teams need to be aggressive. Last week was Atlanta’s time to do that. The Falcons defense may improve, but it’s not going to bounce back to a strength with this personnel.

This is so stupid, for all we know Reid had multiple teams chasing him and chose the Panthers.

And honestly I don't blame him if he chose the Panthers over us.

Coming into Atlanta he would be expected to be our saviour with huge expectations, at Carolina he gets to slot in to an already formidable defense with less pressure to perform instantly.

Borat, Stryka, vitaman and 1 other like this

Just now, JerseyNo12 said:

"The Falcons were struggling with the loss of Adrian Clayborn and Dontari Poe..."

What the heck is this guy talking about? They only started struggling when players got injured. Losing Poe and Clayborn was never an issue.

Seriously? Our D-line depth and "pressuring the QB" totals would be higher without question if we still had Poe and Clayborn. Our "getting after the QB" totals have been down early on this year compared to last season. If your defense is historically bad because of the loss of only 3 key players (2 of those in the secondary), then you already had depth problems before they went down. When we had all 5 of those players last year, our defense was top 10. 

ShadyRef, PokerSteve, sdogg and 3 others like this

Should've grabbed eric reid and kendricks, sometimes this coaching staff makes those Kanye West decisions that make you scratch your head. Mychael is 3 games into the season and playing at an all pro level, where as Reid could play both OLB and SS and would've really mitigated the musical chairs we have at SS. Bad moves, but I have some hope DQ knows what he is doing and the buttered up Poole will tackle better.

lostnmexico, Vandy, sdogg and 2 others like this

1 minute ago, mqg96 said:

Seriously? Our D-line depth and "pressuring the QB" totals would be higher without question if we still had Poe and Clayborn. Our "getting after the QB" totals have been down early on this year compared to last season. If your defense is historically bad because of the loss of only 3 key players (2 of those in the secondary), then you already had depth problems before they went down. When we had all 5 of those players last year, our defense was top 10. 

No, because when QBs can get rid of the ball in 2 seconds or less because of little to no resistance in the secondary it doesn't really matter who is rushing the passer.

4 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Should've grabbed eric reid and kendricks, sometimes this coaching staff makes those Kanye West decisions that make you scratch your head. Mychael is 3 games into the season and playing at an all pro level, where as Reid could play both OLB and SS and would've really mitigated the musical chairs we have at SS. Bad moves, but I have some hope DQ knows what he is doing and the buttered up Poole will tackle better.

And have even less money to sign grady. Last time I explain this.. either we extend grady using that 7.5 m we have during the season or let him test FA and risk losing him because we spent money to try and “get by”

Biscuits&Gravy and rugger8 like this

16 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

"The Falcons were struggling with the loss of Adrian Clayborn and Dontari Poe..."

What the heck is this guy talking about? They only started struggling when players got injured. Losing Poe and Clayborn was never an issue.

It was an issue that was massively exposed when they started losing guys.

When everyone was healthy it was something that wasn't exposed in the 1st game against a banged up Eagles offense but would have been eventually.

Well there was no way to acquire two of those dudes without significant cap gymnastics. But leaving that aside, I dont think any of those guys was the missing cog in the defense. 

Obviously Earl was the cleanest fit and the biggest impact player.....he was also very much the most expensive, both in the short term and with respect to the long term outlook of the team. 

And not for nothing but could you imagine the panic on this board if we traded a 2nd for Earl Thomas and he broke his leg in Game 1 with the team? ZOMG. 

If you have a good plan and a good process, you should stay on course, even if the short term is choppy. 

21 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

I think Poe would have been a nice piece to keep around. Dont think it could have been done in a cost-effective way but I do think he was a legit loss. 

Clay was a nice piece to have but I dont think thats a huge loss. He's a great depth guy to have in a DL rotation but with Takk growing into a larger role, it made sense for him move on. 

The not signed Reid part was frustrating....but lets think about this....would Reid want to go to a place that has entrenched starters just to be a one year stopgap? I know he took a 1 year deal in Carolina, but maybe with the thinking if it works out there he could get a multiyear deal there. Unlikely he would get that in Atlanta.

2 hours ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

And have even less money to sign grady. Last time I explain this.. either we extend grady using that 7.5 m we have during the season or let him test FA and risk losing him because we spent money to try and “get by”

Jordan Richard's is making $941,000 in base salary. I am sure an extra $200k for Eric Reid would cause us to lose Grady Jarrett.

sdogg and Vandy like this

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Well there was no way to acquire two of those dudes without significant cap gymnastics. But leaving that aside, I dont think any of those guys was the missing cog in the defense. 

Obviously Earl was the cleanest fit and the biggest impact player.....he was also very much the most expensive, both in the short term and with respect to the long term outlook of the team. 

And not for nothing but could you imagine the panic on this board if we traded a 2nd for Earl Thomas and he broke his leg in Game 1 with the team? ZOMG. 

If you have a good plan and a good process, you should stay on course, even if the short term is choppy. 

Yes, especially since financially you're unable to bring in a front-line player anyway. Just bite the bullet, ignore the flames and keep on truckin'.

Things could get seriously choppy vs the Steelers this week. I can see Big Ben dropping a 50+ burger on this battered and beleaguered bunch of baby birdlets. That Quinn Charmin Zone defense could make it happen.

But there is a ray of hope by the way they responded to playing man and really upping the pressure on Dalton in the second half. If they'll play less of that garbage soft zone and get after Ratzburger it could at least be an entertaining game to watch instead of the farcical clownshow of week's past.

19 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

It was an issue that was massively exposed when they started losing guys.

When everyone was healthy it was something that wasn't exposed in the 1st game against a banged up Eagles offense but would have been eventually.

You're not exactly describing a unique situation. Any team that starts losing guys at the rate the Falcons did will "get exposed."

mtldirtybird likes this

So we just sit still wishing and hoping it will be alright possibly waste this offensive Firepower forget about the Super Bowl is being hosted in iAtlanta Wait for next year when those injuries may not heal properly and we can have some more and dont forget other teams are getting better oh yeah that sounds like a real good. N E went and got Josh Gordon because they are trying to win now. Last year the Eagles picked up Ajayi late and won it. But this F O will sit back and make every excuse possible

sdogg and Embrace the suck like this

I'm happy that Quinn is choosing to develop his guys instead of bringing in vets. Its hard to watch but think big picture. This is only going to help build the strength of our team in the long run. There's no better way for these guys to learn than to take their lumps like they've been doing. Just think, if these guys start figuring it out we'll have some serious depth. We are always commending Quinn and company on their ability to develop talent, well let's let them do just that. 

2 minutes ago, Gold4425 said:

So we just sit still wishing and hoping it will be alright possibly waste this offensive Firepower forget about the Super Bowl is being hosted in iAtlanta Wait for next year when those injuries may not heal properly and we can have some more and dont forget other teams are getting better oh yeah that sounds like a real good. N E went and got Josh Gordon because they are trying to win now. Last year the Eagles picked up Ajayi late and won it. But this F O will sit back and make every excuse possible

We are perpetually locked in next year mode feels like. We've been saying that ever since the accursed 2010 season.

People are trying to make all kind of excuses for the front office and why they didn’t sign Reid!!! He said himself only two teams offered him, Carolina and Frisco. When a player goes to a team on a one year prove it, he isn’t thinking about if he will be long term with the team who signed him or not. He is auditioning for all 32 teams!!! Talking about cutting off your nose to spite your face!!! We ALL know why Atlanta didn’t even sniff Reid’s way and some of the posters on here only proves the point!!’

Bunchy Carter and mqg96 like this

1 hour ago, mqg96 said:

Poe added nothing as a path rusher. Zip

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I know there’s More to it, but from outside looking in Eric Reid was a no-brainer to me.