Falconsfan567

Braves vs. Dodgers (NLDS)

1,741 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Black Francis said:

Darn good line. Home town kid made good. Especially after he healed up. 

Good average and great on-base but only average at best slugging. Sucks Braves didn't have anyone else to hit in the middle of the order. Markakis would have been fine as a #2 or #6 hitter who was forced into #4 because we had no one else to turn too. That's not his fault, just the way things were. But AA will fix that!

Black Francis likes this

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

Flowers is a much better defensive catcher and a leader of the staff. We do need to upgrade the position, but it will be better to upgrade for Suzuki than Flowers.

And a one-year deal at a moderate salary cannot be compared at all to the CJ2.0 deal. 

Yep, just like when he led the rookie pitcher to keep throwing Machado fastballs setting the stage for disaster? I just cannot understand the thinking there.

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yep, just like when he led the rookie pitcher to keep throwing Machado fastballs setting the stage for disaster? I just cannot understand the thinking there.

The one last night was more about location than pitch selection.. he was set up down and away.. Chad missed his spot.. not saying I wouldn’t have minded seeing breaking ball there, but location location location 

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

The one last night was more about location than pitch selection.. he was set up down and away.. Chad missed his spot.. not saying I wouldn’t have minded seeing breaking ball there, but location location location 

Yes. Sobotka missed his location. But the entire series Machado hadn't been able to lay off sliders down and away with 2 strikes. It was an 0-2 count and we kept pumping fastballs at him. Sooner or later Sobotka (a guy with average control) was going to miss his spot and when he did it was game over. On what planet does this make a lick of sense given the way the series had gone up until this point?

Capture.PNG

3 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Yes. Sobotka missed his location. But the entire series Machado hadn't been able to lay off sliders down and away with 2 strikes. It was an 0-2 count and we kept pumping fastballs at him. Sooner or later Sobotka (a guy with average control) was going to miss his spot and when he did it was game over. On what planet does this make a lick of sense given the way the series had gone up until this point?

Capture.PNG

Like I said, wouldn’t have minded one bit to see breaking ball there,  but with him you have to hit your spots.. 

20 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Like I said, wouldn’t have minded one bit to see breaking ball there,  but with him you have to hit your spots.. 

With every big time hitter you have to hit your spots. Even guys that aren't big time hitters will hurt you if you miss. Dansby has proven that. He's not much of a threat to put one in the seats but if he gets one up and in he'll turn on it in a heartbeat and put it in the seats. It's not ironic that the pitch to Machado was up and in.

I'm more or less just venting about Flowers being the "leader" of the pitching staff and then he hangs a rookie pitcher with very little experience out to dry. It was @Unkn0wn that had a stat a few weeks ago that Flowers calls for more fastballs than any other catcher in baseball. I believe that is the stat if I remember it correctly.

It's also hard to ignore that the pitchers did better pitching to Suzuki than they did Flowers. I can't find full team stats (I looked on MLB.com, B/R, Fangraphs), but here's some select pitchers.

Folty

• Flowers = .200/.275/.323 (.597), 3.10 ERA (95 2/3 IP)
  • Suzuki = .183/.265/.335 (.599), 2.66 ERA (71 IP)

Newcomb

• Flowers = .249/.332/.433 (.765), 5.16 ERA (68 IP)
  • Suzuki = .206/.298/.301 (.599), 2.67 ERA (91 IP)

Teheran

• Flowers = .202/.291/.409 (.700), 4.52 ERA (67 2/3 IP)
  • Suzuki = .183/.299/.331 (.630), 3.47 ERA (98 2/3 IP)

Sanchez

• .Flowers = .196/.248/.385 (.633), 2.97 ERA (39 1/3 IP)
  • Suzuki = .217/.283/.337 (.620), 2.82 ERA (89 1/3 IP)

I just think Flowers ability to handle a pitching staff is grossly overstated when you look at the individual numbers of the pitchers, especially Newcomb and Teheran. Those are massive differences. I think it's because Flowers calls for too many fastballs and falls into a pattern that allows hitters to predict what's coming. We saw it last night.

6 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Biggest difference was with Newk.. gotta wonder if he caught him on the perspiration days though :D

I don't think the stats dig that far into things. Maybe one day we'll get that. LOL!

TheTrue7 likes this

6 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I encourage everyone in this thread to either place "trolls" on their ignore list or refrain from nonsensical slap-fighting. Please. 

Your moderation here can't be fun for you personally, but I sincerely appreciate the cross-board efforts to keep the place relatively respectful and occasionally even harmonious.  I meant to say this the last time things broke down in the Trump thread.

4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Capture.PNG

Wow thats just dumb..and flowers knows how to manage a staff..haha what a joke

Edited by TRUju2111

5 hours ago, jidady said:

Your moderation here can't be fun for you personally, but I sincerely appreciate the cross-board efforts to keep the place relatively respectful and occasionally even harmonious.  I meant to say this the last time things broke down in the Trump thread.

The Trump thread? Thanks for letting me know that exists. Now I know to stay far away from that one. 

jidady and K26dp like this