athell

Well guys...it's been real...

242 posts in this topic

Sad to see you go, but I get it. This place has gotten really bad, like during the Vick stuff. 

I took a break then and I am about ready to now. I may post in the other boards. I don't post a ton period.

Lol do you see what happens Larry is one of the better posters here. Well adieu, see you next game day when you will be coming to vent after we blow another lead in traditional falcon fashion :ninja:.

caponine likes this

I genuinely appreciate the input, @athell

I certainly disagree with your characterization of my "hypocrisy." I don't deny being an active participant in many many heated discussions all over the this board. I have no doubt that some find my tone to be arrogant and patronizing. I've been here for many years and in that time have definitely gotten into it with scores of posters....and sometimes in a less constructive way than I'd like. But I do try to keep things on the good sign of the line. 

What I DONT do is call people idiots or engage in the sorts of conduct that you find yourself repeatedly reported for. Civility doesnt mean "hunky dory" behavior....it means focus on the arguments. Discuss the assertions. Discuss the errors in judgment. Sometimes you do a really good job with that. Other times, you mistake opinions with which you disagree for things in violation of the COC. Part of being a constructive moderator is knowing the line between shutting down opinions with which you do not agree and actually trying to cultivate an environment of freespirited debate and discussion. While I can think of a couple dudes that would accuse me of stifling their "opinions" because I "dont agree with them," there isnt a whole lot of merit to those allegations, IMO. I do my best to keep things as close to civil as can reasonably be expected. I'm sure I fail sometimes. It happens. 

Another thing I DONT do is monitor every single post that flies around these boards. The rest of the mod staff and I moderate the board for free, on a volunteer basis, as time permits. We dont have shifts, we sorta take things as they come. And while I'd love to have even more time to scour these boards for posts in violation of the COC, I simply dont have time. So I and the other moderators rely to a large degree on the reports and input of fellow posters to identify truly objectionable commentary. I realize this leaves many holes through which posts can fall. I think I can speak for all of us when I say that I wish it wasnt that way...but here we are. 

If you're leaving, I wish you best of luck and much happiness both personally and with respect to your NFL rooting interest. If not, I urge you to take a moment to collect yourself, try to work on your lashing out at folks with whom you disagree and get back in the fray. 

1 minute ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I genuinely appreciate the input, @athell

I certainly disagree with your characterization of my "hypocrisy." I don't deny being an active participant in many many heated discussions all over the this board. I have no doubt that some find my tone to be arrogant and patronizing. 

What I DONT do is call people idiots or engage in the sorts of conduct that you find yourself repeatedly reported for. Civility doesnt mean "hunky dory" behavior....it means focus on the arguments. Discuss the assertions. Discuss the errors in judgment. Sometimes you do a really good job with that. Other times, you mistake opinions with which you disagree for things in violation of the COC. Part of being a constructive moderator is knowing the line between shutting down opinions with which you do not agree and actually trying to cultivate an environment of freespirited debate and discussion. While I can think of a couple dudes that would accuse me of stifling their "opinions" because I "dont agree with them," there isnt a whole lot of merit to those allegations, IMO. I do my best to keep things as close to civil as can reasonably be expected. I'm sure I fail sometimes. It happens. 

Another thing I DONT do is monitor every single post that flies around these boards. The rest of the mod staff and I moderate the board for free, on a volunteer basis, as time permits. We dont have shifts, we sorta take things as they come. And while I'd love to have even more time to scour these boards for posts in violation of the COC, I simply dont have time. So I and the other moderators rely to a large degree on the reports and input of fellow posters to identify truly objectionable commentary. I realize this leaves many holes through which posts can fall. I think I can speak for all of us when I say that I wish it wasnt that way...but here we are. 

If you're leaving, I wish you best of luck and much happiness both personally and with respect to your NFL rooting interest. If not, I urge you to take a moment to collect yourself, try to work on your lashing out at folks with whom you disagree and get back in the fray. 

That almost brought a tear to my eye. You do care about us!

So so so so much. 

I'm still here, arent I? 

I love you Larry. You are my most favorite moderator ever <3 <---that is a Heart, and not a ball bag hanging sideways btw

Edited by The Falcon Jedi Knight

Wow

Didn't know all that was going on.

It just must be a personality clash w/Larry because I thought all of our mods were pretty good--especially considering it's a thankless task.

12 minutes ago, Pay the Zebra said:

See you tomorrow.

:lol: Just stop!

Xero, Matty ICE and vitaman like this

And although I could move on without saying it, I do think it would be doing us all a disservice to not agree with the notion that you're feeling this way largely because the team isnt winning right now. The mood around this board in general tracks pretty well with the fortunes of the team. When things are good, certain voices grow in volume. When things are bad, a handful of the same posters love to come out of the woodwork to diagnose and give us all their expert opinions about how to fix it. If you find that intolerable, I dont know what to say. I'm certainly no fan of the nay-sayers but they have just as much a right to be here and to espouse their opinions as you do. 

I think he subliminally called me an antagonist last week after replying to one of his posts he made toward someone who does nothing but come at me with none sense all the time. But when I say something back I’m the bad guy. It is what it is though. Be easy bud. 

4 minutes ago, rounz said:

Wow

Didn't know all that was going on.

It just must be a personality clash w/Larry because I thought all of our mods were pretty good--especially considering it's a thankless task.

:lol: Just stop!

He's upset with the general state of the board. 

So am I. This place is brutal when the Falcons arent doing well. 

Here's to hoping they start rattling off some wins and we can all sing campfire songs in unison. 

Take a break brother! I do it all the time. I for sure enjoyed your posts from a comedic side of things. 

Trust me, I understand how the boards and even the team can make you disgusted at the entire operation....but take a break, take as long as you need then bring it back!

And although I could move on without saying it, I do think it would be doing us all a disservice to not agree with the notion that you're feeling this way largely because the team isnt winning right now. The mood around this board in general tracks pretty well with the fortunes of the team. When things are good, certain voices grow in volume. When things are bad, a handful of the same posters love to come out of the woodwork to diagnose and give us all their expert opinions about how to fix it. If you find that intolerable, I dont know what to say. I'm certainly no fan of the nay-sayers but they have just as much a right to be here and to espouse their opinions as you do. 

Of course everybody is ticked off and posting "BYE" threads. The losing is really upsetting and we are all going thru mental trauma right now. The only cure for me is drinking and just trying to laugh about it and find humor somewhere. Its that Church Lady that cursed us and this team. She must be giving God the business up there in Heaven because I have NEVER seen a more cursed Sports CITY than Atlanta before

I like you athell, and really think you're a good contributor to this board. Maybe you get a little too irritated at posters you disagree with sometimes, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Larry can be pretty disdainful and abrasive when you've crossed the line, but I have yet to see an instance where he failed to be objective and measured with any actions he's taken.

Before you just vanish, just chill for a few days. See how you feel Sunday morning while we're all in here getting geeked up for the Steelers. If you're done, really enjoyed your insights, your passion and your wit, bro. Take care of yourself.

He's upset with the general state of the board. 

So am I. This place is brutal when the Falcons arent doing well. 

Here's to hoping they start rattling off some wins and we can all sing campfire songs in unison. 

Posters don't bother me because I just take all of my hate out on Quinn

PokerSteve likes this

32 minutes ago, athell said:

Gents (and ladies), I have been going back and forth on whether or not I was going to post one of these posts, but I decided to due to the amount of good people that are on here and those I have grown to appreciate and enjoy.  Also, a couple things this is not...this is not a cry for attention.  For those who know me, know I could not care less about being front and center with some 'look at me' post...this is not that.  This is also not an attempt to get anyone to try to convince me to stay.  I also do not need that in my life.  Finally, this is not one of those posts where someone says they are leaving only to be back 12 hours later.  This ain't that.  This is my goodbye to this forum and to the friendships I have formed therein.

I was going to @ all the people that I have grown close with, but honestly it would be too long of a list and I would undoubtedly forget people so I will just say I will be DM'ing the people that I have grown closest with this week to get their contact info to stay in touch.  If you would like mine, please do the same.

I've been sitting on this for a week mainly because I got a nice week long vacation at the hands of Larry.  The week off was justified I must admit...he gave me warning points which I did not agree with, and I had some less than choice words for him via DM about those warning points.  The fact of the matter is, this forum has been trending downwards for some time.  The good posters and posts are drowned out by all the bad posters and posts.  It seems like there is just this constant regurgitation of the same bad, inaccurate, unfounded, conspiracy posts and it just makes it incredibly hard to focus on the good that this forum brings.  I find myself more annoyed and angry when reading through these threads more than anything else and it just seems pointless to put myself through all that any longer.  Seeing the 'I'm Done' thread, and the replies kind of sealed it for me knowing that it isn't just me feeling this way.

I also want to use this time as a plead to those who can turn this place around...so consider this my exit interview, mods.  @PK Manley, @Monoxide y'all are cool with me.  I enjoy your posting, and I think you are good people and good moderators.  @DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry, I can't say the same for you.  Not sure how you are in person, but to be honest as a moderator of these forums you leave a lot to be desired.  You are a hypocrite.  You say and do things that you have given me warning points for.  You say and do things that go against the the code of conduct you hide behind, including calling someone crazy literally days after giving me warning points for the same thing.  You talk down to people.  You patronize people.  You don't operate in "a healthy and civil manner", and yet it's alright for you to do it because, why?  You are a moderator?  Nah.

Truth is, this place will continue to die a slow death the way it is currently being moderated.  Truth is you push the rules when it is convenient for you.  Folks continue to go around the language filter.  Folks continue to comment on Sark's alcoholism.  Every single thread goes against the "Provoking or instigating arguments in a way that disrupts the board's general cohesiveness will not be tolerated" conduct argument...and yet, you seem to want to push points for those of us who call a spade a spade and call people out on their terrible posting.  We have people here who make terrible thread after terrible thread.  Filling the front page with several different threads about the same terrible thing.  We have folks who love making up clever and witty nicknames for players that make them sound like children.  We have folks who routinely move goal posts and beat around the bush whenever a more knowledgeable poster tries to teach them something about the game, or this team and players, and yet they go unchecked.  Because why?  Because it's more important for you to seek and destroy the folks who call dumb posts dumb?  Maybe if you did a better job of moderating these forums, people wouldn't have to make these posts calling others out?  Maybe if there was a post limit for creating new threads?   Maybe if the negative reputation was brought back?  Maybe a combination of all of the above would prevent this place from circling the drain?  I don't know...but picking and choosing when to enforce rules and picking and choosing when to apply warning points instead of being consistent may be a good place to start...just a thought...maybe try to make this place tolerable again?

I appreciate the time I had here and I appreciate those of you who I have grown close with, you know who you are.  As I said, I will be reaching out to some of you this week to get your contact info so we can keep in touch.  I will miss y'all.  This will be my past post here

RISE UP!

That's too bad you're leaving, but if you can't look past the bad posts, it's probably for the better...

Edited by Boise Falcon Fan
spelling
papachaz and rounz like this

And its not just the losing - its The Way WE Always Lose. Every game always comes down to the very Last Play.

At least the Browns and their Fans know they sucked. So they were Happy just to Lose by 2 Touchdowns. This Falcons team is much more worse IMO. Because we are always "THIS CLOSE" ...and it just rips your effing heart out every Sunday

Been here for years and years though I don't post much. Take a break. Watch some college ball. Don't think about this place. When Jones gets off the IR stick your head back in and see what is happening.

Football isn't worth getting your 'wa' ( your sense of harmony with the group ) disturbed.

GhostofGritz likes this