Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spts1

Sark's 2017 offense was efficient also. He was scapegoated.

16 posts in this topic

I argued with friends and family members during the Falcon's 2017 season about Sarkasian.  The dude was scapegoated last year.  People wanted to jump on the obvious issue of Shanahan being gone along with their hurt feelings over that and never gave the man a chance.  In fact, his first year with the Falcons their third down conversion percentage was BETTER than Shanahan's 2016 Superbowl team.   Sark had the Falcons at 44.7 percent on third down conversions in 2017 which was FIRST in the NFL.  During 2016 under Shanahan the Falcons ranked 11th at 42.1 percent on third down conversions.   The Falcons MOVED the football last year.   The scoring dropped from first in the league at 33.8 points per game to 15th at 22.1 because of:

1. REDZONE issues. The redzone went from 9th in the league at 61.9 percent to 23rd at 50 percent.  The same issues that plagued Atlanta in Philly during the first game of the year, plagued them all last year.  Ryan not hitting receivers in bounds or forcing it to Julio instead of the underneath routes.  Ryan not running the ball in the redzone.  The Falcons inability in general to move the ball in short yardage with their munchkin runningbacks and lite offensive line.  Sark's playcalling HAS gotten better down there, don't get me wrong, but it was EXECUTION more than anything.

2. Not hitting the big plays:   I know its not cool to criticize the Ice Man but Matt HADN'T been hitting the open receivers deep like he did in 2016.  In 2016, Gabriel was getting hit in stride on those moderately deep routes.  In 2017 defenses adjusted to those routes and the Falcons had to rely on more slants and underneath routes to move the ball.  In 2018 Ridley has opened those routes back up and Ryan is finding him like he did Gabriel in 2016.

Again, Sark has never been the problem.  As long as the ball is being moved between the 20s and giving my defense a rest, the coordinator is doing his job.  In the redzone, its HARD to score.  Execution is just as important as calling the right plays down there and i believe the blame was about 60 percent execution vs the playcalling in 2017.  Throught the first four games of this year the Falcons are fourth on third down conversions at a better rate of 48.1 percent and 7th in the redzone at 66.7 percent which is on pace to better what they did under Shanahan in 2016.

Image result for steve sarkisian falcons

35 minutes ago, osiruz said:

In shanny's defense we didn't face a lot of 3rd downs lol. We were rolling people in 2016.

Sark had only 19 more third down attempts un 2017. Thats **** excellent for a first year coordinator to take over the top offense in the league...

Osiruz likes this

1 hour ago, R_The_Great said:

1-3

And btw this magical sark offense had a chance to close out all 3 losses .

And Sark drew up the right plays to close it out but unfortunately Ryan missed on some (IE: Overthrowing a wide open Hooper).

Spts1, Halcon-1 and Dem Birds like this

5 minutes ago, MilleniumFalcon said:

And Sark drew up the right plays to close it out but unfortunately Ryan missed on some (IE: Overthrowing a wide open Hooper).

I rewatched that play, the safety helped over at the last second to make Ryan throw it out.  It would have been an int

I was more upset with the empty set 5 wide formation, no help with protection, instant sack

30 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

I rewatched that play, the safety helped over at the last second to make Ryan throw it out.  It would have been an int

I was more upset with the empty set 5 wide formation, no help with protection, instant sack

I remember a play where Sark lined one of the tight ends up in the backfield as a halfback to help with pass protection.  Sark is aware and knows when and how to use his protection schemes...

Dem Birds likes this

3 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

I argued with friends and family members during the Falcon's 2017 season about Sarkasian.  The dude was scapegoated last year.  People wanted to jump on the obvious issue of Shanahan being gone along with their hurt feelings over that and never gave the man a chance.  In fact, his first year with the Falcons their third down conversion percentage was BETTER than Shanahan's 2016 Superbowl team.   Sark had the Falcons at 44.7 percent on third down conversions in 2017 which was FIRST in the NFL.  During 2016 under Shanahan the Falcons ranked 11th at 42.1 percent on third down conversions.   The Falcons MOVED the football last year.   The scoring dropped from first in the league at 33.8 points per game to 15th at 22.1 because of:

1. REDZONE issues. The redzone went from 9th in the league at 61.9 percent to 23rd at 50 percent.  The same issues that plagued Atlanta in Philly during the first game of the year, plagued them all last year.  Ryan not hitting receivers in bounds or forcing it to Julio instead of the underneath routes.  Ryan not running the ball in the redzone.  The Falcons inability in general to move the ball in short yardage with their munchkin runningbacks and lite offensive line.  Sark's playcalling HAS gotten better down there, don't get me wrong, but it was EXECUTION more than anything.

2. Not hitting the big plays:   I know its not cool to criticize the Ice Man but Matt HADN'T been hitting the open receivers deep like he did in 2016.  In 2016, Gabriel was getting hit in stride on those moderately deep routes.  In 2017 defenses adjusted to those routes and the Falcons had to rely on more slants and underneath routes to move the ball.  In 2018 Ridley has opened those routes back up and Ryan is finding him like he did Gabriel in 2016.

Again, Sark has never been the problem.  As long as the ball is being moved between the 20s and giving my defense a rest, the coordinator is doing his job.  In the redzone, its HARD to score.  Execution is just as important as calling the right plays down there and i believe the blame was about 60 percent execution vs the playcalling in 2017.  Throught the first four games of this year the Falcons are fourth on third down conversions at a better rate of 48.1 percent and 7th in the redzone at 66.7 percent which is on pace to better what they did under Shanahan in 2016.

I was never in on the Sark hatefest. That said, I do think its unfair to imply that his results would be similar to Shanahan's if execution was the same. Approach to play calling matters more than scheme. 

An important missing piece of analysis is the number of 3rd downs faced. Shanahan's system and Ryan's execution were so solid on 1st and 2nd down that the team attempted very few 3rd downs. Shanahan was more aggressive on 1st and 2nd down. When things didn't work, the team was sometimes left with long 3rd downs. However things normally worked! The Falcons performed historically well on 1st and 10 in 2016. This left them with a small sample size of 3rd downs with which to compute the conversion rate. 

A better measure is 1st down percentage. What percentage of offensive plays result in a first down or TD? It deals with sample size issues and rewards better play on the early downs. If you are facing and converting 3rd downs, the question is: Why? What went wrong on the first two downs?

Spts1 likes this

1 hour ago, slickgadawg said:

Sark had only 19 more third down attempts un 2017. Thats **** excellent for a first year coordinator to take over the top offense in the league...

In 2016 Atlanta had 379 first downs. In 2017 they had 330. So, Shanahan faced 19 fewer 3rd downs in 49 more opportunities. This is the efficiency I'm speaking to in the post above. Shanahan's offense was MUCH better at converting first downs. They just converted most of them without needing 3rd down. 

Sidecar Falcon likes this

1 hour ago, R_The_Great said:

The offense did more than enough to win I solely put these losses on the defense.you score the amount of points we have the last few games you should be winning if your defense isn't complete trash.and right now unfortunately it is.

I've been a Sark supporter since last year, obviously execution was a problem. But Sark did have issues as well. He didn't use motion nearly enough to scheme guys open. He didn't really do anything creative. He was so preoccupied trying to run someone else's offense that he had to just keep it basic. This year so far he's been much more creative. The Paulson touchdown was vintage 2016 creativity. Having a receiver in Ridley that can beat one on one coverage is huge too. Gabriel couldn't do it consistently and Sark didn't have enough creativity to find any other uses for him last year.