Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkbigdog35

Hawks Preseason Thread

50 posts in this topic

Ranking the Top 10 Players to Be Dealt This Season:

1. Kent Bazemore, SG/SF, Atlanta Hawks

During the 2017-18 season, he made across-the-board improvements and upped his slash line from a miserable 40.9/34.6/70.8 to a head-turning 42.0/39.4/79.6 while taking more threes and making additional trips to the charity stripe. Despite the Atlanta Hawks' season-long futility, he became a living embodiment of the three-and-D archetype as one of only three qualified players to shoot better than 39 percent from downtown on at least four attempts per contest while posting a defensive box plus/minus north of one. 

With two years remaining (assuming Bazemore picks up his $19.3 million player option for 2019-20), he has successfully made the albatross-to-asset transition. As much as he boosts the Hawks while on the floor (3.8 points per 100 possessions in 2017-18), he'll be even more valuable when a contender inevitably comes inquiring about his services and offers rebuild-aiding pieces to the Eastern bottom-feeders.

(A year ago I said we'd have to include and asset to mover Baze, now we will be getting an asset if he's moved)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2797627-nba-trade-big-board-ranking-the-top-10-players-to-be-dealt-this-season#slide9

Will John Collins play at the center position?

Will Taurean Prince play at the power forward position?

Will Trae Young and Jeremy Lin play together?

Who will Tyler Dorsey play with in the back court?

What will we see from Alex Len offensively?

Observations:

32 assists, 7 steals, 12 blocks, 54 rebounds, 72  points in the paint.

Bembry and Len were the surprising duo.

John Collins :yes:, need more rebounds though.

Trae Young, struggled shooting and was pressing in 1st half, settled down in 2nd half but that passing was on point for the entire game. (Only 2 turnovers)

The Defense was pretty good.

Huerter, nothing memorable.

Go Hawks!!!

3 hours ago, jayu70 said:

Observations:

32 assists, 7 steals, 12 blocks, 54 rebounds, 72  points in the paint.

Bembry and Len were the surprising duo.

John Collins :yes:, need more rebounds though.

Trae Young, struggled shooting and was pressing in 1st half, settled down in 2nd half but that passing was on point for the entire game. (Only 2 turnovers)

The Defense was pretty good.

Huerter, nothing memorable.

Go Hawks!!!

I'm liking the assist number.  I haven't watched summer league or the game last night, so anyone have an idea on what Pierce's offensive philosophy/system is?  I'm thinking that, having experience with GS and Philly, it's going to be something similar to what we've run under Bud.

6 hours ago, EddieK said:

I'm liking the assist number.  I haven't watched summer league or the game last night, so anyone have an idea on what Pierce's offensive philosophy/system is?  I'm thinking that, having experience with GS and Philly, it's going to be something similar to what we've run under Bud.

Pace and Space with lots of PnR action.

8 hours ago, EddieK said:

It's more or less what the Warriors run, which already is similar to Pop and Bud's philosophy. The difference is Pop and Bud prefer spacing and ball movement in the half court and being able to use the entire shot clock period before making a shot. Kerr (used to work in Suns FO) adopted more of Mike D'Antoni's philosophy of pushing the ball in transition (where many teams struggle defensively) and get easier, quick rhythm baskets. That's what Pierce is implementing in Atlanta, a sort of frankensystem similar to what Kerr runs that merges D'Antoni's idea of run 'n shoot with Pop/Bud's philosophy of swarming defense and ball movement in the half court.

EddieK and Drew4719 like this

Watched the first half and some of the second, and I came away impressed and encouraged.

I loved the defensive performance, which is Pierce's specialty. If they can continue to harass teams defensively, they will be competitive. Offensively I was also impressed. Not worried about Trae's shooting--that's not even the biggest reason he was drafted I think. It's the passing and playmaking ability, and that was on full display. The pick n roll with Collins is going to be really good. 

Bembry had a good game and showcased his ability to score and create. Taurean didn't play very well (he did have a nice fade away jumper though), but he'll bounce back.

32 assists on 48 made baskets. If they continue to play together like that, they won't be an easy out on most nights.

If this game is any indication, Pierce has this team trending in the right direction.

Drew4719, jayu70 and blkbigdog35 like this

I came away very impressed with the way this team played.  The biggest surprise for me was Bembry.  If he can stay healthy and straight off the court this kid could be good for the Hawks.  Trae will have to let the game come to him.  It’s an adjustment but I think he will be fine. TP was blah and JC was on but I won’t to see him be a monster on the boards!  I think we may have a fun team to watch!