slickgadawg

Vic Beasley ranked in top 10 alltime Falcon sack leaders..

44 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Anyone know how many sacks Claude Humphrey had? I'd guess he's the actual #1 on the list, but of course sacks weren't an official stat yet. But on the subject, it's quite sad that Beasley's already number 10 and he doesn't even have 30 sacks yet. 

Good point. 

Back in those days the guys used the head slap. Not to menton what went on in the pileups, and how they were allowed to do anything to break a qb's spine.   Lol.  Deacon Jones ring a bell?    I know he rang some bells of the offensive linemen he faced.    They never could add up his sacks either but it was a god-awful amount.

-

Old Joke From The Seventies

Q. What do Mean Joe Greene and Reverend Jim Jones have in common?

A. Nine hundred sacks. 

--Bob Hope

RING OF HONOR and PokerSteve like this

I need to add some much needed context to this thread, sacks didn't become an official stat until 1982. NFL has official game records for years before that. They could easily go back and add those sacks back in and make these sacks lists more official. Falcons had a HOF DE name Claude Humphrey in the 1970s. According to the Falcons own official records he had over 100 in his career.

Since my other post didn't bring objectivity to this thread and folks somehow still think the Falcons official sacks list is depressing, here's some info for other teams.

Number of players with more than 40 sacks.

1. Saints - 12
  2. Chiefs - 9
  3. Bears - 8
  4. Giants - 8
  5. Steelers - 7
  6. 49ers - 7
  7. Cowboys - 6
  8. Broncos - 6
  9. Packers - 6
  10. Patriots - 6
  11. Seahawks - 6
  12. Redskins - 6
  13. Dolphins - 5
  14. Eagles - 5
  15. Falcons - 4
  16. Buccaneers - 3

Number of players with more than 30 sacks.

1. Eagles - 17
  2. Steelers - 15
  3. Saints - 14
  4. Giants - 12
  5. Bears - 11
  6. 49ers - 11
  7. Packers - 10
  8. Patriots - 10
  9. Seahawks - 10
  10. Chiefs - 9
  11. Cowboys - 8
  12. Dolphins - 8
  13. Redskins - 8
  14. Falcons - 7
  15. Broncos - 7
  16. Buccaneers - 5

There's the lists for half the teams that I went and looked at. The point is that there's a couple of major outliers but overall the Falcons are right there with the rest of the teams within a player or two. But of course the glass is always empty folks gonna do what they do and common sense objectivity goes out the window.

2 hours ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Funny that Clayborn would be taken off of list if it wasn't for the Dallas Game.

This is what I was going to say.

"Clayborn with 17 sacks.. all of them in one game against the Cowboys."

It's already been mentioned, but man, what could have been if the D line had stayed healthy in 2006.  Amazing what Abe did with the guys he had around him.

16 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

If you break it down to sack rate (SR), both Vick and Takk are top 10.

Player Gms Sacks SR
John Abraham, 2006-12 102 68.5 0.67
Roderick Coleman, 2004-08 49 30 0.61
Chris Doleman, 1994-95 30 16 0.53
Vic Beasley, 2015-18 49 25.5 0.52
Patrick Kerney, 1999-06 120 58 0.48
Chuck Smith, 1992-99 123 58.5 0.48
Ellis Johnson, 2002-03 32 15 0.47
Takkarist McKinley, 2017-18 18 8 0.44
Sam Rogers, 2002-03 17 7.5 0.44
Dan Owens, 1996-97 31 13.5 0.44

Sadly though if you take out the 2016 regular season where Vic averaged almost a sack a game (we know it was in bunches), he drops back to 19th in sack rate with very different company.

Player Gms Sacks SR
Osi Umenyiora, 2013-14 32 10 0.31
Travis Hall, 1995-04 133 41.5 0.31
Vic Beasley, 2015-18 33 10 0.30
Lester Archambeau, 1993-99 108 31 0.29
Rick Bryan, 1984-91,93 109 29 0.27

You can’t take it out and y’all never factor in 2 things. Last year he was hurt and missed 4 games and when he came back he was moved to SLB. Abe was never moved to any other position. Even this year Vic played the panthers game as a spy and was dropping back in coverage in  the Philly game. Nobody pays attention to that. Also if you take 2016 out of Matt’s career what is he? Can we please stop taking history out? You can’t take away what happened. It’s like a running back having 120 yards on 18 carries and one run was for 50 yards. If you take away that run he only had...That’s just dumb because EVERY good running backs gets chunk runs. Go thru history and take away ALL legacy running backs chunk runs and all DE’s multi sack games and what are you left with? Can’t take away what happened? If you take away the glacier the titanic never crashes. But it did. 

1 minute ago, TheFatboi said:

You can’t take it out and y’all never factor in 2 things. Last year he was hurt and missed 4 games and when he came back he was moved to SLB. Abe was never moved to any other position. Even this year Vic played the panthers game as a spy and was dropping back in coverage in  the Philly game. Nobody pays attention to that. Also if you take 2016 out of Matt’s career what is he? Can we please stop taking history out? You can’t take away what happened. It’s like a running back having 120 yards on 18 carries and one run was for 50 yards. If you take away that run he only had...That’s just dumb because EVERY good running backs gets chunk runs. Go thru history and take away ALL legacy running backs chunk runs and all DE’s multi sack games and what are you left with? Can’t take away what happened? If you take away the glacier the titanic never crashes. But it did. 

Truth.

Everything counts. 

17 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Abe was special on that edge.  Wish we could have gotten him a running partner. 

Agreed. Favorite falcon defender of the 2000s era, I loved him on the Falcons. Shame we could a got 1 to 2 more years of good play from him.

17 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Abe was special on that edge.  Wish we could have gotten him a running partner. 

Had a chance in 2011 with Justin Houston, Cam Jordan, Mo Wilkerson and Jabaal Sheard sitting right there for the taking. Went explosive instead.

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

This board is perfect if you want people to argue with themselves and project those beliefs onto you.  I hate that you spent so much time typing all that.  Nothing changes the fact that he has not been terribly effective at getting sacks.  I didn't speak to why he's not getting sacks and actually agree with some of the factors you mentioned.  Injured, out of place, unlucky or untalented will apply to every player who is not playing up to people's expectations. Heck, maybe sacks are overrated and he doesn't need a lot of sacks or a high sack rate.  I'm not going to look them up but his pressures probably aren't amazing either.  I presented a fact (a derived one but a fact)...if you omit the 2016 season, Vic has only 10 sacks in 33 games.  

I can certainly take out 2016 for analytics purposes.  Trending and analysis is nothing new or weird.  I...obviously... lack the ability to actually delete his 2016 effort nor would I want to if I could.  I'd love for Vic to get back to 2016 form but I'm not seeing the arrow point up at the moment but I have no reason to want Vic to do anything but succeed.

Yes, you can take out Matt's 2016 season.  If you wanted to know what Matt's numbers's looked like outside of his best season, you'd take it out and see what is left...likewise you could take out his worst season and do the same.  You'd find that Matt Ryan has been a very good QB over 10.2 years.  Matt's not a one year wonder and I'm hoping Beasley isn't either.