Detroit_Falcon

Devonta's knee

51 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Not really because most RBs don't have a long shelf life and you only get 3 good years out of them anyway.

Brutal but honest

Emmitt Smith/Marcus Allen and a host of other great RBs say hi. 

Falconsfan567 and blkbigdog35 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think Freeman is fine. Falcons are just being careful with him early in the season and with good reason.

If overused, Freeman wears down as the season goes on. If he’s healthy and has fresh legs in December, that could be huge. 

blkbigdog35 and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Emmitt Smith/Marcus Allen and a host of other great RBs say hi. 

Yes and for every one of those guys there are 30 that didn’t make it 2 years let alone 3.

How many good years did we get from Jamal,  Turner?

Those greats are great because of their longevity but you’re talking about how many guys over how many years?  20 guys over 20 years?

NeonDeion likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, k-train said:

Doubtful we could deal him.

Look at what's going on right now with 10 of the 12 top paid HBs in the NFL...
Le'Veon Bell is holding out once again & has been such a distraction that the Steelers are sick of his **** & willing to trade him rather than sign him long-term.
- Devonta Freeman has been missing time with various injuries ever since the start of last season.
- Jerrick McKinnon got paid big & then tore his ACL and is lost for the year.
- Lesean McCoy has dealt with minor nagging injuries lately, is 30 years old & seems less explosive & less productive, and once his current criminal proceedings are resolved, he is facing a possible suspension for violation of the NFL conduct policy.
- Ezekiel Elliott was suspended for 6 games last year due to a violation of the personal conduct policy.
- David Johnson had a somewhat serious MCL sprain at the very end of 2016 & missed all but 1 game last year due to a wrist injury.
- Leonard Fournette missed 3 games last year due to injury & violation of team rules, plus he missed two games already this season because of injuries.
- Lamar Miller has been the definition of mediocre & was actually a cut candidate prior to this season.
- Giovanni Bernard is always dealing with some sort of injury & is really nothing more than a change of pace/receiving back.
- Duke Johnson is basically the same thing as Bernard.

There is really just one HB out of the top 12 that is consistently on the field producing & earning that big pay check... Todd Gurley. The other player in the top 12 is Saquon Barkley. Three games in he looks solid, but it's still far too soon to tell with him.

With over 1/3 of the NFL having already given running backs large pay days & most not getting back enough of a return on those investments, I really think teams are gonna be cautious moving forward about being so eager to give HBs large chunks of money.

SO I seriously doubt anyone would be beating down the door for Freeman, because nobody wants to take on that contract... especially since he does have a history of concussions.

You really hit the nail on the head with this one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FalconJim said:

A writer, I forget who, called it a "blood contusion" --- if it's in the soft tissue, it only takes a few days to a couple of weeks to heal.  If it's a bone contusion, it can take several months to heal.  So I really don't know which it is.  Just hope he heals quickly and can get back on the field for us.  Him and Coleman make a deadly duo, when both are healthy!

 

 

 

Yeah, that was reported on the radio too.Arch said he thinks he probably could have played this week, they are just being careful with him and letting him heal good.

FalconJim likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes and for every one of those guys there are 30 that didn’t make it 2 years let alone 3.

How many good years did we get from Jamal,  Turner?

Those greats are great because of their longevity but you’re talking about how many guys over how many years?  20 guys over 20 years?

Falcons got 5 great years from Turner. Jamal had over 1000 yards 4 times and had over 5000 rushing yards in his career. Not bad for a 7th round pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most NFL players average 3 years or less in a career. We know more RBs. But the reality is - exceptional talent is rare - but just as prone to injury as an average NFL  guy.  RBs take a beating and can be replaced with good sometimes great talent easily - which is why we draft them in the 4-5 round every couple of years. Hi Devinta, hi Ito...instead of in the first round. Elliot and Gurley and Barkley are better than Ito, but  I bet Ridley has a longer career helping the Falcons. 

NeonDeion and Falconsfan567 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

No issue with Free being out.  He should have went ahead and took care of things in the offseason.  In any event, they need to let him come back slow.  With the O lighting up the scoreboard the past two games, we don't need him to rush back.  Not convinced this team's fortunes are tied to a prolific run game anyway, it just needs to be respected and Teco and Ito can do that.

I dont believe our fortunes are tied to a prolific run game but it certainly needs to be a productive balanced one. One that can get you more than 60 yards a game. Freeman helps provide a diff type of weapon from the RB position and the way he runs motivates the entire team. Coleman doesnt run with that inspiring ferocity. We need him back but only at 100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I think Freeman is fine. Falcons are just being careful with him early in the season and with good reason.

C’mon 567, in all honesty, DF made a poor decision to try rehab over a procedure that would have been the safer route.  He rehabbed & presented himself as 100% healthy & I assume the team docs concurred.  So early in the season (game 1), Free started for us & reinjured his knee.  So now they’re being “careful” again to be on the safe side?  Wth?  Nope, Free is hurt & he’s not ready yet man. He’ll be ready when he’s ready & imo, if he’s not at 100% don’t even consider putting him on the field.  We saw how bad that looks from the 1st playoff game in Philly.  

Back to the annoying fact that Free should have done the most prudent thing & taken care of his knee.  It’s cost him, his team & at this point, only delayed the inevitable for another year.  If he comes back & reinjurs it again it’s going to look even more ridiculous imo.  Because at that point he wasted another 12 months of his contract.  

octoslash likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Yes and for every one of those guys there are 30 that didn’t make it 2 years let alone 3.

How many good years did we get from Jamal,  Turner?

Those greats are great because of their longevity but you’re talking about how many guys over how many years?  20 guys over 20 years?

Jamal and Turner were cowbell backs who were ran into the ground with 20-25 carries a game until there was nothing left in their tanks.

teco/Freeman/smith are RBs designed for two-RB system. 

Apples and oranges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Jamal and Turner were cowbell backs who were ran out there  20+ carries a game until there was nothing left in their tanks.

teco/Freeman/smith are RBs designed for two-RB system. 

Apples and oranges.

True.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Not really because most RBs don't have a long shelf life and you only get 3 good years out of them anyway.

Brutal but honest

Which is why i'm glad we paid him because he way out performed his 4th rd rookie contract. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, falcons007 said:

Let him heal. All this crappy jokes about his injury aside, Falcons are better with Freeman in the final stretch of the season and in playoffs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

C’mon 567, in all honesty, DF made a poor decision to try rehab over a procedure that would have been the safer route.  He rehabbed & presented himself as 100% healthy & I assume the team docs concurred.  So early in the season (game 1), Free started for us & reinjured his knee.  So now they’re being “careful” again to be on the safe side?  Wth?  Nope, Free is hurt & he’s not ready yet man. He’ll be ready when he’s ready & imo, if he’s not at 100% don’t even consider putting him on the field.  We saw how bad that looks from the 1st playoff game in Philly.  

Back to the annoying fact that Free should have done the most prudent thing & taken care of his knee.  It’s cost him, his team & at this point, only delayed the inevitable for another year.  If he comes back & reinjurs it again it’s going to look even more ridiculous imo.  Because at that point he wasted another 12 months of his contract.  

I mean that he was "fine" in that it's not a season ending or long-term injury.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I mean that he was "fine" in that it's not a season ending or long-term injury.

I gotcha now.  I was just trying to put this back into perspective & what’s at the crux of the problem. Just hoping that Free can come back 100% & be back to his regular self.  The guy we all know he can be.  The deadly weapon he normally is.  Personally, if that’s not possible, then I would rather he just go get his medical biz taken care of.  I’ll be honest. I have no earthly idea what to expect, but if he ain’t 100% he can sustain more damage, take more time, and hurt this team further.  I think highly of DF, but I’d be lying if I told you I’m happy about the way he handled this in the off-season 567.  Then again, I’m not a knee surgeon, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night :lol:

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I gotcha now.  I was just trying to put this back into perspective & what’s at the crux of the problem. Just hoping that Free can come back 100% & be back to his regular self.  The guy we all know he can be.  The deadly weapon he normally is.  Personally, if that’s not possible, then I would rather he just go get his medical biz taken care of.  I’ll be honest. I have no earthly idea what to expect, but if he ain’t 100% he can sustain more damage, take more time, and hurt this team further.  I think highly of DF, but I’d be lying if I told you I’m happy about the way he handled this in the off-season 567.  Then again, I’m not a knee surgeon, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night :lol:

Yeah. I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Free was ready to go at the top of the season. Looked good in game one against PHI. 50 yards on 8 touches. Then he got popped on the knee. I think that was a new injury that started our 2018 Slippery Injury Slope. Free, Neal, Debo, Rico, Levitre, Takk, Shelby, Bethel, you name it.

We need him to come back. Teco fans were expecting him to come in and beast. He had one good game and got shut down in the other two. Make no mistake about it, Teco aint no Free. Still say Gurley and Free would have been better than Teco and Free.

Vandy and THEHEADCOACH like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think Free was ready to go at the top of the season. Looked good in game one against PHI. 50 yards on 8 touches. Then he got popped on the knee. I think that was a new injury that started our 2018 Slippery Injury Slope. Free, Neal, Debo, Rico, Levitre, Takk, Shelby, Bethel, you name it.

We need him to come back. Teco fans were expecting him to come in and beast. He had one good game and got shut down in the other two. Make no mistake about it, Teco aint no Free. Still say Gurley and Free would have been better than Teco and Free.

None sense lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think Free was ready to go at the top of the season. Looked good in game one against PHI. 50 yards on 8 touches. Then he got popped on the knee. I think that was a new injury that started our 2018 Slippery Injury Slope. Free, Neal, Debo, Rico, Levitre, Takk, Shelby, Bethel, you name it.

We need him to come back. Teco fans were expecting him to come in and beast. He had one good game and got shut down in the other two. Make no mistake about it, Teco aint no Free. Still say Gurley and Free would have been better than Teco and Free.

We’ll never know about that knee.  I think the team even said it was a contusion that aggravated what was there already.

But he def got popped on that same knee though.  

The way our blocking went against the aints, those outside zone runs were being waited on.  Superman wasn’t finding room either.  I wish we’d have tried a few more inside runs tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

We’ll never know about that knee.  I think the team even said it was a contusion that aggravated what was there already.

But he def got popped on that same knee though.  

The way our blocking went against the aints, those outside zone runs were being waited on.  Superman wasn’t finding room either.  I wish we’d have tried a few more inside runs tbh.

Teco is reading them zone creases better this year but he's nowhere near the Free level. And he will never have the Free shake. To me we're misusing Teco. If I was running the team I'd have that mo fo in a Metcalf role. I think we could set him off like that. Looks like we're just gonna keep him running for the edge. Will work with slow defenses. Maybe not so much against the defenses we need to beat to get what we want. 

Vandy and HASHBROWN3 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Teco is reading them zone creases better this year but he's nowhere near the Free level. And he will never have the Free shake. To me we're misusing Teco. If I was running the team I'd have that mo fo in a Metcalf role. I think we could set him off like that. Looks like we're just gonna keep him running for the edge. Will work with slow defenses. Maybe not so much against the defenses we need to beat to get what we want. 

I can find common ground in your assessment that we can use him much more creatively.  We talked about the Kamara role a week ago.  Same deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2018 at 3:04 PM, red falcon said:

Ouch looks like backs were overvalued 

Finally, the voice of reasoning. how rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I think Free was ready to go at the top of the season. Looked good in game one against PHI. 50 yards on 8 touches. Then he got popped on the knee. I think that was a new injury that started our 2018 Slippery Injury Slope. Free, Neal, Debo, Rico, Levitre, Takk, Shelby, Bethel, you name it.

We need him to come back. Teco fans were expecting him to come in and beast. He had one good game and got shut down in the other two. Make no mistake about it, Teco aint no Free. Still say Gurley and Free would have been better than Teco and Free.

:lol: :lol::lol: what a silly post lol my gosh so many things wrongs idk where to begin lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now