Detroit_Falcon

Devonta's knee

51 posts in this topic

Am i the only one who thinks Freeman's knee is going to be a much bigger issue moving forward? He was supposed to have to taken care of after the season but it is a concern that he has been out this long with no real surgery or anything to fix it. 

5 minutes ago, Detroit_Falcon said:

Am i the only one who thinks Freeman's knee is going to be a much bigger issue moving forward? He was supposed to have to taken care of after the season but it is a concern that he has been out this long with no real surgery or anything to fix it. 

Yes you are the Only One

57 minutes ago, Detroit_Falcon said:

If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't an injury that necessarily required surgery. Pretty sure that he was given the option by the doctors to either get surgery or just let it heal with time. Since he had the entire offseason in front of him at the time & surgery was not apparently mandatory to insure recovery, I do not blame him one tiny bit for electing to let it heal on its own. Why go under the knife unless it's absolutely necessary?

He was running, cutting, etc. at practices during the preseason w/ no setbacks, so it seems that he had indeed healed up at that point.

What is happening at this point is due to a setback... which could've happened regardless of whether he had gotten surgery or not. Reports are that basically his ligaments are still kinda loose, so they need even more time to hopefully tighten up again. And even if this setback issue was indeed something that absolutely required surgery, they would've thrown him on IR after week 1 like they did Debo & Neal, so he'd either have a chance at coming back for thee second 1/2 of the season once healed up or he'd have a year to fully recover.

The front office has invested far too much in him to just let him stay hurt, so if he absolutely HAS to have surgery, they'd do everything within the rules to steer him in the direction of doing so ASAP.

1 hour ago, Detroit_Falcon said:

Not really because most RBs don't have a long shelf life and you only get 3 good years out of them anyway.

Brutal but honest

red falcon likes this

1 hour ago, lju713 said:

Can we deal him this off-season and keep TeCo?

Doubtful we could deal him.

Look at what's going on right now with 10 of the 12 top paid HBs in the NFL...
Le'Veon Bell is holding out once again & has been such a distraction that the Steelers are sick of his **** & willing to trade him rather than sign him long-term.
- Devonta Freeman has been missing time with various injuries ever since the start of last season.
- Jerrick McKinnon got paid big & then tore his ACL and is lost for the year.
- Lesean McCoy has dealt with minor nagging injuries lately, is 30 years old & seems less explosive & less productive, and once his current criminal proceedings are resolved, he is facing a possible suspension for violation of the NFL conduct policy.
- Ezekiel Elliott was suspended for 6 games last year due to a violation of the personal conduct policy.
- David Johnson had a somewhat serious MCL sprain at the very end of 2016 & missed all but 1 game last year due to a wrist injury.
- Leonard Fournette missed 3 games last year due to injury & violation of team rules, plus he missed two games already this season because of injuries.
- Lamar Miller has been the definition of mediocre & was actually a cut candidate prior to this season.
- Giovanni Bernard is always dealing with some sort of injury & is really nothing more than a change of pace/receiving back.
- Duke Johnson is basically the same thing as Bernard.

There is really just one HB out of the top 12 that is consistently on the field producing & earning that big pay check... Todd Gurley. The other player in the top 12 is Saquon Barkley. Three games in he looks solid, but it's still far too soon to tell with him.

With over 1/3 of the NFL having already given running backs large pay days & most not getting back enough of a return on those investments, I really think teams are gonna be cautious moving forward about being so eager to give HBs large chunks of money.

SO I seriously doubt anyone would be beating down the door for Freeman, because nobody wants to take on that contract... especially since he does have a history of concussions.

ICD, tonatl07 and SkerFalcon8710 like this

2 hours ago, Detroit_Falcon said:

No you’re not ..... just can’t see Free coming back anytime soon. Obviously what he did in the offseason didn’t work and the issue still exist. His trade value would NOT be good. It’d be hard to unload his contract.....we overpaid on that one IMO. The concussions and bad knee might get you a box of crackerjacks without a prize inside.

Detroit_Falcon likes this

13 minutes ago, k-train said:

Doubtful we could deal him.

Look at what's going on right now with 10 of the 12 top paid HBs in the NFL...
Le'Veon Bell is holding out once again & has been such a distraction that the Steelers are sick of his **** & willing to trade him rather than sign him long-term.
- Devonta Freeman has been missing time with various injuries ever since the start of last season.
- Jerrick McKinnon got paid big & then tore his ACL and is lost for the year.
- Lesean McCoy has dealt with minor nagging injuries lately, is 30 years old & seems less explosive & less productive, and once his current criminal proceedings are resolved, he is facing a possible suspension for violation of the NFL conduct policy.
- Ezekiel Elliott was suspended for 6 games last year due to a violation of the personal conduct policy.
- David Johnson had a somewhat serious MCL sprain at the very end of 2016 & missed all but 1 game last year due to a wrist injury.
- Leonard Fournette missed 3 games last year due to injury & violation of team rules, plus he missed two games already this season because of injuries.
- Lamar Miller has been the definition of mediocre & was actually a cut candidate prior to this season.
- Giovanni Bernard is always dealing with some sort of injury & is really nothing more than a change of pace/receiving back.
- Duke Johnson is basically the same thing as Bernard.

There is really just one HB out of the top 12 that is currently on the field producing & earning that big pay check... Todd Gurley. The other player in the top 12 is Saquon Barkley. Three games in he looks solid, but it's still far too soon to tell with him.

With over 1/3 of the NFL having already given running backs large pay days & most not getting back enough of a return on those investments, I really think teams are gonna be cautious moving forward about being so eager to give HBs large chunks of money.

SO I seriously doubt anyone would be beating down the door for Freeman, because nobody wants to take on that contract... especially since he does have a history of concussions.

Ouch looks like backs were overvalued 

Jerz #DukeSZN likes this

A writer, I forget who, called it a "blood contusion" --- if it's in the soft tissue, it only takes a few days to a couple of weeks to heal.  If it's a bone contusion, it can take several months to heal.  So I really don't know which it is.  Just hope he heals quickly and can get back on the field for us.  Him and Coleman make a deadly duo, when both are healthy!

3 hours ago, Detroit_Falcon said:

No, you're not the only one. Ryan Tannehill had his knee injured in 2016 and they told him it would heal with time and rehab if he didn't want to have surgery. First game of exhibition season came and he reinjured it and was out for the season. I know Free doesn't have a partial tear like Tannehill had but sometimes rest and rehab aren't sufficient to correct a problem.

4 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

I am more worried about his head getting hit again.

well apparently we don't have to worry about his head, because his knee is keeping him off the field, so there's that  :D

22 minutes ago, falcons007 said:

Let him heal. All this crappy jokes about his injury aside, Falcons are better with Freeman in the final stretch of the season and in playoffs.

I've said it a bunch already in recent weeks, I kinda wish they'd just sit him through the bye week, so we can hopefully get him back as healthy as possible down the back stretch.

If we were able to go 3-1 or at least split these next 4 games, getting a fully healthy Free back (and a healed Debo shortly thereafter) could be HUGE for this team's chances of making a mid-late season playoff push.

falcons007 likes this

I said before the season that I thought Devonta was never going to be the same again.  I did expect him to last more than 6 carries before he was out again though.

2 hours ago, k-train said:

I've said it a bunch already in recent weeks, I kinda wish they'd just sit him through the bye week, so we can hopefully get him back as healthy as possible down the back stretch.

If we were able to go 3-1 or at least split these next 4 games, getting a fully healthy Free back (and a healed Debo shortly thereafter) could be HUGE for this team's chances of making a mid-late season playoff push.

Yes that would be ideal situation. Healthy Freeman with fresh legs is something this team could use. I can’t wait for Debo to be back.

Well this I know for sure..,I’ve had arthroscopic surgery on rt knee meniscus and was fine after 12 weeks! Left knee ACL rupture with ligament replacement via cadaver, took 14 months post surgery to heal when I was 29..,Right knee ACL rupture at 62, NO SURGERY, I chickened out after scheduling surgery and getting a cadaver ligament donor..,at 60 +, I decided no surgery. No longer a jock, so cutting and juking is no longer required...no tennis, just golf so I’m fine now without it! But, rehab after ACL replacement is no joke and is MF tough!!! 

Bith injuries to my ACL’s were flukes...1st due to torquing leg changing and under dash fuse on my 300 z, second was due to a 90 lb drunk women falling into me while putting my back pact in and overhead bin on an airplane! Non football or sports related freakish accidents..,not a conditioning issue at all.  Sux none the less! I can appreciate Freeman’s knee injury in total. 

No issue with Free being out.  He should have went ahead and took care of things in the offseason.  In any event, they need to let him come back slow.  With the O lighting up the scoreboard the past two games, we don't need him to rush back.  Not convinced this team's fortunes are tied to a prolific run game anyway, it just needs to be respected and Teco and Ito can do that.