Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anygivensunday11

Panthers sign Eric Reid

271 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, osiruz said:

Obviously his play would go down when the good players around him left. That goes for every player in the NFL lmao. The fact that he was a top 10 SS in 15, 16 and played LBer doesn't fit your guys agenda though lol. 81.6 pff grade, and dude is a stud defending TE. Can't all be because he had a pass rush.

Bold is incorrect. 

15 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Bold is incorrect. 

There are very few positions and players in the NFL immune to that. Very very few. I am sure Julio wouldn't be as good if his QB was geno smith, and I am sure Thomas wouldn't be as good with a p.o.s Dline.

5 hours ago, osiruz said:

Aldon Smith missed half the season suspended wit DUI, Ahmad Brooks had a total 8 sacks and it was his ONLY probowl berth, so according to you guys he succed. Willis was washed up when he retired, and so was Justin Smith. Even with all those retirements dude was still a top 10 SS. Let's see how he does. 

Yeah, Aldon Smith did miss 8 games due to suspension, but he also put up 8.5 sacks in those next 8 games. He had 33.5 sacks before 2013 even started, do you really think he was a non-factor in how that defense performed? And Willis and Justin Smith were washed up? Justin Smith was still an elite RDE his last season putting up 5 sacks (he only had 1.5 more the “All-Pro” level season of Reid in 2013) and I’d like to see you play at Willis’ level while hampered with a nagging toe injury. 

4 hours ago, osiruz said:

Obviously his play would go down when the good players around him left. That goes for every player in the NFL lmao. The fact that he was a top 10 SS in 15, 16 and played LBer doesn't fit your guys agenda though lol. 81.6 pff grade, and dude is a stud defending TE. Can't all be because he had a pass rush.

Wait, you literally said earlier that he “raised their level of play”, so which is it? :lol:

18 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Yeah, Aldon Smith did miss 8 games due to suspension, but he also put up 8.5 sacks in those next 8 games. He had 33.5 sacks before 2013 even started, do you really think he was a non-factor in how that defense performed? And Willis and Justin Smith were washed up? Justin Smith was still an elite RDE his last season putting up 5 sacks (he only had 1.5 more the “All-Pro” level season of Reid in 2013) and I’d like to see you play at Willis’ level while hampered with a nagging toe injury. 

Wait, you literally said earlier that he “raised their level of play”, so which is it? :lol:

If you understand football you'll realize both the Dline and dbs are affected by each other's play and it's not like his play fell off a cliff. He was still a top 10 SS when he SWITCHED to ss.

5 minutes ago, osiruz said:

If you understand football you'll realize both the Dline and dbs are affected by each other's play and it's not like his play fell off a cliff. He was still a top 10 SS when he SWITCHED to ss.

I understand both football and the English language and you said earlier in this thread “Reid raises the rest of the defense’s level of play”, then directly contradicted yourself with the quote of “of course his play is going to fall off without that talent around him”.

And I hate to break it to you, but no team is taking a top-10 player at any position and switching him to another position just to do it. They did it because he’s a liability in coverage.

Just now, Iron Saint said:

I understand both football and the English language and you said earlier in this thread “Reid raises the rest of the defense’s level of play”, then directly contradicted yourself with the quote of “of course his play is going to fall off without that talent around him”.

And I hate to break it to you, but no team is taking a top-10 player at any position and switching him to another position just to do it. They did it because he’s a liability in coverage.

Willis' last season was 2014 where he had played 9 total games. Eric Reid had 3 interceptions and and 7 pds. Aldon was out 8 games in 13, and Reid had 5 pds and 1 interception in that time. So yeah he played well with both out.

2 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

They did it because SS was his natural position and they needed an SS. But again let's hope you are right.

7 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

This part is also all kinds of saints stupid. We just taken one of the better FS in the league and stuck him at SS in Ricardo Allen because of injuries. Last year we moved Beasley from DE to SAM as well.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:48 AM, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Levitre and reed are 99% outta here in my book. Sanu may be asked to take a cut with ridley emerging. 

I doubt they will cut alford though and I would not be surprised to see the first 3 picks next year go DE, DE, DT followed by  Oline, LB, S

I agree with those moves, but I also dont think that we will be spending 2 high round draft picks on DE unless they have decided to part ways with Vic, I could see a second round DE, with maybe a first round LB, only because I think it would be more of a pressing need unless like i said VB is gone.  I think overall we have done well, and DT may not be as high a demand with GJ and Senat legitimately looking like the future at those two spots.  RB may be higher depending on what happens with Freeman, and not only if Atlanta CHOOSES to offer Coleman money, if HE decides to take it or leave. 

5 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I'm not worried about his INT's. He's a in the box S. That's not where he shines.

That's exactly what reid would do, and he'd be good at it. So why are you worried about his interception? You guys are funny with your hate.

Just now, osiruz said:

That's exactly what reid would do, and he'd be good at it. So why are you worried about his interception? You guys are funny with your hate.

No he wouldn't. He doesn't know the system. He doesn't know our guys. I wanted him believe me. But it's not as big of a deal as you guys wanna make it.

Ask @Knight of God, I wanted Reid in the off-season. That way he could learn and build some chemistry but we waited too **** long.

Knight of God, Osiruz and Vandy like this

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

No he wouldn't. He doesn't know the system. He doesn't know our guys. I wanted him believe me. But it's not as big of a deal as you guys wanna make it.

Ask @Knight of God, I wanted Reid in the off-season. That way he could learn and build some chemistry but we waited too **** long.

Lol neither does Jordan's Richard but we had no problem splurging a 6th round pick on him. EDIT: At least Reid can tackle and play LB in a pinch.

28 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Willis' last season was 2014 where he had played 9 total games. Eric Reid had 3 interceptions and and 7 pds. Aldon was out 8 games in 13, and Reid had 5 pds and 1 interception in that time. So yeah he played well with both out.

Yeah, and in 2014 they were still 25th in the league in passing TD’s surrendered and dropped 7 spots in scoring defense to 10th from 3rd the previous year.

27 minutes ago, osiruz said:

They did it because SS was his natural position and they needed an SS. But again let's hope you are right.

And they were still 24th in passing TD’s surrendered, and 18th in rushing TD’s surrendered. :tiphat:

24 minutes ago, osiruz said:

This part is also all kinds of saints stupid. We just taken one of the better FS in the league and stuck him at SS in Ricardo Allen because of injuries. Last year we moved Beasley from DE to SAM as well.

You said it yourself, y’all did it because of injuries. The 49ers did it because he was a coverage liability. How do you minimize that? You move him closer to the line into the box and let him play short zone and worry about plugging running lanes.

6 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

Yeah, and in 2014 they were still 25th in the league in passing TD’s surrendered and dropped 7 spots in scoring defense to 10th from 3rd the previous year.

And they were still 24th in passing TD’s surrendered, and 18th in rushing TD’s surrendered. :tiphat:

You said it yourself, y’all did it because of injuries. The 49ers did it because he was a coverage liability. How do you minimize that? You move him closer to the line into the box and let him play short zone and worry about plugging running lanes.

Which is exactly what he would do here. We need him to be an in the box safety, but we went and traded for a bill bilichick epic bust.

40 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Lol neither does Jordan's Richard but we had no problem splurging a 6th round pick on him. EDIT: At least Reid can tackle and play LB in a pinch.

As much as I like Reid he's not gonna come in and help right now. We needed to let him have an offseason first.

2 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Which is exactly what he would do here. We need him to be an in the box safety, but we went and traded for a bill bilichick epic bust.

Well of course, y’all are missing both starting safeties. However, I’m talking about why the 49ers did what they did.

17 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

I hear you Yo, but Reid would still contribute more than Richards ever will. 

Ovie_Lover likes this

On 9/29/2018 at 0:13 AM, falconidae said:

Oh, so Pro bowl doesn't mean top 5? Wasn't that one of your main points about how good Reid is? Hold on let me check.....Why, yes, yes it was. 

Ascending talent? His numbers have gone down since his rookie year. 7 INTs first 2 years, then 3 INTs in 3 years is not ascending, it's descending. 19 passes defensed first 2 years, then 17 in 3 years is, again, not ascending. Going on IR last 2 years is not ascending.

JA 98 was a first rounder. So was J Russell, I can go on.

He hasn't been a "darn good starter" since 2014. He may very well become one again, but it's hardly guaranteed.

and you're acting as if he's a clone of E Thomas.

You seem to think that he was going to come here and  automatically be a stud. All I'm saying is I just don't think that was given.

Would have been fine if the Falcons signed him, just don't think the season is lost because we didn't.

well it sure is heck didn't help