Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mqg96

The Falcons are 1-10 at home vs. AFC opponents since 2013.

23 posts in this topic

I'm surprised no one has taken note of this. If we want to save our season against the Bengals this Sunday, we have to get over this ridiculous, aggravating, and frustrating stat that we couldn't overcome against the Bills and Dolphins last season. I understand that 2013 and 2014 were the ruff years with Matt Ryan when our O-line was bad and our defense was atrocious, but with the easy schedule we had in 2015 and the good teams we had in 2016 & 2017 considering the AFC teams we played at home, this has become unacceptable and I'm tired of it.

Heck, we have a better point differential on the road against AFC opponents than being at home vs. AFC opponents since 2012, because even in 2012 our wins on the road in Kansas City and San Diego were blowouts but our home wins against the Broncos and Raiders were decided by 6 or less.

2015 vs. the Texans, the franchise whose home was the Super Bowl we ended up playing in the following year is our only AFC home win in that stretch. The Falcons must put to an end to this issue now! I'm sick and tired of losing to AFC teams on our HOME turf where the crowd should be showing up.

We were doing this "winning the Super Bowl in Atlanta" talk all off season long (which seems unlikely now considering the injuries we have). Well, if you can't beat an AFC team on your home turf, then you don't deserve to go to the Super Bowl in your home stadium with a shot against the AFC championship winner.

Why are the Falcons better on the road playing AFC teams lately? Why can't we win a home game against AFC teams? Why can't we ever win in our home red jerseys or black jerseys playing AFC teams?

We let a Colts team without Andrew Luck beat us in 2015.

We were the only NFC South team with a loss to the Chargers in 2016.

We lost to the Chiefs on a pick 2.

We couldn't beat a Bills team with Tyrod Taylor at QB.

We were the only NFC South team with a loss to the Dolphins with Jay Cutler.

Something must change now, and it starts by having success against AFC teams at home again by beating the Bengals this Sunday in a game which is a must win now.

Edit: The trend continues. 

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Well I’m sure that new home field advantage where no one is sitting in their seat will make all the difference.

And by not sitting I mean they’re nowhere near their seat.

I was actually pretty impressed with the saints game outside of the first 8-10 minutes of the 1st/3rd qtrs. For my first experience the 8 ppl to my right didn’t show till 5min left in the 1st lol row 3 sect 106. Other than that we were packed in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

I was actually pretty impressed with the saints game outside of the first 8-10 minutes of the 1st/3rd qtrs. For my first experience the 8 ppl to my right didn’t show till 5min left in the 1st lol row 3 sect 106. Other than that we were packed in

I lost my voice during that game, it was a loud one.  Once OT started and we lost the coin toss though, most of us saw the writing on the wall.

Stray Dog THA GAWD likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Well I’m sure that new home field advantage where no one is sitting in their seat will make all the difference.

And by not sitting I mean they’re nowhere near their seat.

Why oh why is our ownership so dumb?

Football stadiums are not meant to be malls/restaurants/bars. We get you wanna make money but having a winning product tops all.

Now we gotta deal with this forever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Well I’m sure that new home field advantage where no one is sitting in their seat will make all the difference.

And by not sitting I mean they’re nowhere near their seat.

Almost everyone I’ve spoken with that’s gone to games this season says the place is packed and LOUD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s really a strange record, I am more concern about the fact that so far our home record at MBS is a mediocre 6-4. Last year we dropped two games against weak AFC East teams at home (if I recall correctly). It is early but so far I don’t think teams are too concern coming to play at the new stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't forgotten about this thread. I will be ready to update it depending on the result of our game against the Bengals. Gotta get our first home win over an AFC team since the Texans in 2015, especially with us being 1-2 right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small. Sample. Sizes. Period. There’s a thread every week that gets this wrong.

You said 2013/2014 we were bad. Duh = losses.

Bills loss was a fumble incompletion from being a win. Dolphins was an easy win that became a loss. 

Its a really bad record for sure but it had no bearing on this game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Small. Sample. Sizes. Period. There’s a thread every week that gets this wrong.

You said 2013/2014 we were bad. Duh = losses.

Bills loss was a fumble incompletion from being a win. Dolphins was an easy win that became a loss. 

Its a really bad record for sure but it had no bearing on this game. 

A loss is still a loss. No excuses. We're still 1-9 since 2013, and we have to change it, or the trend will continue. We have to break it today against the Bengals. We were supposed to dominate the Bills and Dolphins, didn't do it. We were supposed to dominate the Chargers, didn't do it. I don't believe it until I see us on the field especially with how banged up we are right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mqg96 said:

A loss is still a loss. No excuses. We're still 1-9 since 2013, and we have to change it, or the trend will continue. We have to break it today against the Bengals. We were supposed to dominate the Bills and Dolphins, didn't do it. We were supposed to dominate the Chargers, didn't do it. I don't believe it until I see us on the field especially with how banged up we are right now.

Yes we need to win to not get behind 1-3, not to exorcise so imaginary AFC demon 

mqg96 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A must win already.  That sucks.  

Last year we were 1-3 against the AFC.  With upsets coming by the Bills and Dolphins.  Let's not let that sort of thing happen again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine what the Ravens are going to do to us later in the year! They have a top ranked defense and an offense good enough to torch our defense! :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://929thegame.radio.com/articles/atlanta-falcons-cincinnati-bengals-dan-quinn-matt-ryan

92.9 The Game FINALLY brings this annoying stat up, credit to the Rick & John show from 10am-2pm. Dan Quinn is 1-6, but the other 4 losses were Mike Smith's final 2 seasons. In Mike Smith's first 5 years with the Falcons from 2008-2012, we were 8-1 at home vs. AFC opponents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll say one thing for Mike Smith, we consistently dominated the AFC during his tenure as head coach right up until things fell apart in 2013-14.

Quinn seems to have had no idea what to do against most AFC opponents, as if they're radically different teams that run crazy schemes we've never seen before.  This coaching staff's game planning is beginning to approach Mike Tomlin-levels of bad, and if you ask any Pittsburgh fan, they can tell you that is bad.  How on earth did this team lose to the Bills, Dolphins, and Bengals at home the past two seasons?

mqg96 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, virginiafalcon said:

I'll say one thing for Mike Smith, we consistently dominated the AFC during his tenure as head coach right up until things fell apart in 2013-14.

Quinn seems to have had no idea what to do against most AFC opponents, as if they're radically different teams that run crazy schemes we've never seen before.  This coaching staff's game planning is beginning to approach Mike Tomlin-levels of bad, and if you ask any Pittsburgh fan, they can tell you that is bad.  How on earth did this team lose to the Bills, Dolphins, and Bengals at home the past two seasons?

Yeah, 2012 was truly the last year the Falcons had success at home over AFC teams on a consistent basis outside of Houston in 2015. Even in our Super Bowl season we couldn't beat the Chargers on our home turf, giving them their 2nd win over us in the series, and we blew a 17 point lead against the Chargers, which kinda foreshadowed what was going to happen in the Super Bowl against the Patriots (we were in our red home jerseys against the Patriots in their white road jerseys). 

virginiafalcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another nightmare AFC stat brought up regarding the Falcons, and I didn't even know this until now.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-5-early-odds-patriots-open-as-huge-favorites-colts-get-crack-at-josh-mcdaniels/

Falcons (1-3) at Steelers (1-2-1)

Opening line: Steelers -4

The greatest lock in sports over the past two years has been betting against the Falcons when they play an AFC team. Since Week 7 of 2016, the Falcons have gone 1-6 straight-up against AFC teams and 0-7 ATS, which includes their loss to the Bengals on Sunday. If you need a bigger sample size, the Falcons are 5-16 ATS against the AFC since the beginning of the 2013 season. One other thing that's probably worth noting: The Falcons have never won in Pittsburgh, going 0-6-1 all-time. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites