Falconsfan567

Defense Isn't As Bad As It Seems

13 posts in this topic

The defense wasn't as bad as it seems against the Saints if you really break it down. Here's the Saints first handful of drives of the game.

• Touchdown - 6 Plays, 75 Yards, 3:15
  • Punt - 3 Plays, 9 Yards, 1:31
  • Punt - 7 Plays, 31 Yards, 2:57
  • Field Goal - 6 Plays, 31 Yards, 2:21
  • Field Goal - 8 Plays, 70 Yards, 4:46
  • Punt - 4 Plays, 16 Yards, 0:36
  • Field Goal - 3 Plays, 31 Yards, 0:34
  • Punt - 4 Plays, 0 Yards, 2:00

That totals up to 8 drives, 4 scoring drives and 4 punts, but only 1 touchdown. The Saints totaled 41 plays for 263 yards. That's an average of 6.4 yards per play. At this point in the game the Falcons had the lead 21-16. The defense was holding their own and giving the Falcons a chance to win the game. Against the great Saints offense that was good work. What change the entire game was the blocked punt. I don't know what it was about that blocked punt that took steam out of the defense but the defense allowed the Saints to score a TD every possession for the rest of the game, not counting the possession where the Saints kneeled down on the ball to get to overtme. I'm sorry, but I can't throw a fit about the defense and act like it's the end of the world.

One thing that I think is a legitimate worry with regards to the defense is the tackling. The tackling against the Saints was some of the worst tackling I've ever seen in an NFL game and that's downright shameful. That needs to be corrected. But I thought Duke Riley looked better. He seemed to be quicker and more decisive. That's encouraging moving forward. I thought Beasley was better than he's being given credit for there. There were a handful of plays where he nearly got to Brees only to see Brees step up into the pocket and just out of his reach. That's not on Beasley. That falls on guys like Senat and Jarrett for not getting push in the middle and allowing Brees to have the space to do that. The difference between the Saints pass rush and the Falcons pass rush on Sunday was the Saints were getting push in the middle and it kept Ryan from being able to step up into the pocket and that led to the sacks the Saints got. This is a point that I have tried to drive home for years when everyone has talked about getting the Falcons not having great pass rushers on the outside. It doesn't matter how great your pass rushers are on the outside if the QB has no pressure up the middle. The best way to get pressure on the QB is collapsing the pocket on top of him from the middle of the field and force him outside to where the DE's can eat.

Just now, blkbigdog35 said:

Good post FF567!  My concern with the defense was guys being out of position and missing easy tackles.  I’m also hoping that the DL can generate more pressure.  

Guys being out of position isn't that big a surprise given we've got new guys calling out the defensive signals. That should get better.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Guys being out of position isn't that big a surprise given we've got new guys calling out the defensive signals. That should get better.

DQ in his pressers seems confident that this defense will look better and I believe it will.

In fairness to Dan Quinn, I don't think anyone saw Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, and Brian Poole completely using their minds today. All three were a downright embarrassment with the way they played today. But not just that, the unbelievable penalties on top of it. I just don't know what to say. The rest of the defense actually looked pretty good at times. The pass rush with Takk and Beasley looked really good. It was exciting to see how much pressure they were getting at times. Duke Riley has gotten better at MLB every week. His reads and reactions are much better. Jack Crawford has looked better every week. Isaiah Oliver looked like our best corner today and then he botched that final TD. The corner position is a major black eye. I don't know how to fix it.

Man it’s amazing how Bad they looked! I just knew they were going to bounce back after the Saints game.  Well I guess I better lower my expectations until Debo is back and I hope we are still relevant.

7 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Man it’s amazing how Bad they looked! I just knew they were going to bounce back after the Saints game.  Well I guess I better lower my expectations until Debo is back and I hope we are still relevant.

How about how great Takk and Beasley looked today? That was fun.

blkbigdog35 likes this

1 minute ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Man Takk is definitely the real deal.  

I really wish folks would give Beasley the props he deserves for playing great today too.

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

I really wish folks would give Beasley the props he deserves for playing great today too.

No doubt he definitely played with more purpose!  I know his sacks will come!