Unkn0wn

Braves at Mets

112 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I don't buy home/road splits all that much.

I do buy LA's vulnerability to LH pitching however, which is what makes me want to roster Newcomb, start or no start.

Then how do you explain Newcomb's last 4 road starts vs. his last 5 home starts? Below 2 ERA on the road vs. 11 plus ERA at home. How do you explain what happened to Julio last year? How do you explain the history of Rockies hitters like Charlie Blackmon who have a 200 point higher OPS at home than on the road?

Also, I don't trust Julio pitching at Dodger Stadium. 4 starts at Dodger Stadium in the regular season, 24 1/3 IP, 26 H, 17 R, 16 ER, 8 HR, 9 BB, 23 SO, 5.92 ERA. Then there's the famous game 3 start in the 2013 playoffs where he only lasted 3 innings and got knocked around and then after the game said that he has trouble feeling and gripping the baseball in the dry air out west. Well, he hasn't shown over the years the ability to adapt to that, at least not against the Dodgers. If game 4 is at Dodger Stadium I think it would be downright horrendous to start Julio over Newcomb. That would be waving the white flag.

Weather delayed Swanson's return to Atlanta so no update yet. Braves say the discomfort is not in the wrist. He's having discomfort between his ring finger and wrist. Snitker did say X Rays at Citi Field were clean. Snitker said he hopes Swanson will rejoin the team in Philly and be able to get a few ABs before the NLDS.

If he did have to miss time don't expect Camargo to shift to SS. Culberson said he's more comfortable playing SS than 3B. Braves also said they will not call up Riley or anyone else.

The biggest issue with Swanson being out is the bench. If Culberson isn't there to be the key PH that weakens us significantly. Culberson should hold his on replacing Dansby in the lineup but it hurts 

15 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

The biggest issue with Swanson being out is the bench. If Culberson isn't there to be the key PH that weakens us significantly. Culberson should hold his on replacing Dansby in the lineup but it hurts 

Offensively sure, but Culberson's defense isn't anywhere near Dansby's.

Well that inning didn't go the way we wished it would have. You get a lead off single and stolen base and you've got score and Acuna would have on the Freddie fly ball had Ender gotten him to 3rd.

Also, at least we haven't reached 2010 NLDS status. That Braves roster was just destroyed by injuries before the postseason started. Led to that whole Brooks Conrad fiasco. I still say a healthy roster and we advance that year.

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

Also, at least we haven't reached 2010 NLDS status. That Braves roster was just destroyed by injuries before the postseason started. Led to that whole Brooks Conrad fiasco. I still say a healthy roster and we advance that year.

That was awful. Prado, Infante, Jurrjens, Chipper, Wagner all went down right at the end of the season. Wagner went down in like game 1 against the Giants. Despite all those injuries, Braves still had a chance to win the series. Wagner getting hurt led to forcing Kimbrel to try to close games and he wasn't quite ready yet and got knocked around. That was the most disappointing playoff appearance ever because a healthy Braves team would have wiped the floor with the Giants.

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

That was awful. Prado, Infante, Jurrjens, Chipper, Wagner all went down right at the end of the season. Wagner went down in like game 1 against the Giants. Despite all those injuries, Braves still had a chance to win the series. Wagner getting hurt led to forcing Kimbrel to try to close games and he wasn't quite ready yet and got knocked around. That was the most disappointing playoff appearance ever because a healthy Braves team would have wiped the floor with the Giants.

And they won the World Series that year. Oh what could have been. 

4 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Then how do you explain Newcomb's last 4 road starts vs. his last 5 home starts? Below 2 ERA on the road vs. 11 plus ERA at home. How do you explain what happened to Julio last year? How do you explain the history of Rockies hitters like Charlie Blackmon who have a 200 point higher OPS at home than on the road?

Also, I don't trust Julio pitching at Dodger Stadium. 4 starts at Dodger Stadium in the regular season, 24 1/3 IP, 26 H, 17 R, 16 ER, 8 HR, 9 BB, 23 SO, 5.92 ERA. Then there's the famous game 3 start in the 2013 playoffs where he only lasted 3 innings and got knocked around and then after the game said that he has trouble feeling and gripping the baseball in the dry air out west. Well, he hasn't shown over the years the ability to adapt to that, at least not against the Dodgers. If game 4 is at Dodger Stadium I think it would be downright horrendous to start Julio over Newcomb. That would be waving the white flag.

go braves

1 minute ago, Black Francis said:

Pitchers duel...it better be one though when facing deGrom. 

Braves would be 1-0 had they done their job in the 1st inning. If Ender gets Acuna over then he would have scored on Freddie's fly out.

16 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Braves would be 1-0 had they done their job in the 1st inning. If Ender gets Acuna over then he would have scored on Freddie's fly out.

Yep. Agreed.