GhostofGritz

A Couple of Problems With This D-Even When Healthy

58 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, HOYLE said:

I Every punt feels like it is going to be blocked and finally one did. It is not Bosher, it our alignment or personnel, something is out whack somewhere and has been all season,

I go back and forth with this one.

I don't blame Bosher.

He probably has a certain rhythm in his head to go through his steps.

But dang, man, be more aware of what's happening. Hurry it up a little!

(Sorry Gritz. Got off topic a llittle)

GhostofGritz likes this

6 hours ago, GhostofGritz said:

There are a couple of major problems with this defense that are ever-present, even when it's healthy. Both of these problems point directly to poor coaching IMO:

1. Poor tackling. This has been a hallmark of Quinn defenses, and it's hard to figure out why. I don't know if the well-publicized embracing of rugby-style tackling is the culprit or if it's just lack of focus and concentration, but yards Falcons opponents get after initial contact is ridiculous. It was on full display yesterday...If you can't stop a 39-year-old Brees in the open field with no blockers in front of him, you may need to go back to the drawing board.

2. No ball hawks. Interceptions bounce off of hands, knees, elbows, helmets, etc. Opposing ball carriers are rarely stripped of the ball. I'd give anything to have at least one guy on this D who has a real nose for getting the football. Quinn preaches this is the press virtually every week. How many times have we heard him say "It's about the ball?" 

3. Pass Rush. This is Dimitroff fault because of his infatuation with bargain shopping as if he is smarter than everyone in the league. He worries too much about managing the cap space.

GhostofGritz likes this

3 hours ago, runshoot said:

37 points given up while Rico was on the field. Let's stop pretending he is something special.

Name a receiver that had got pass our Safety like Julio and Ridley did yesterday. 

2 hours ago, GhostofGritz said:

Not really about the subject this thread is about, but are we all in agreement that Sean Payton has gained at least 40-50 lbs. in the last couple of years? The guy used to look relatively fit but he looks like he's due with twins any day now.:lol:

It is not possible to live in NOLA without getting fat as a hog at some point!

GhostofGritz likes this

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

1) You ARE wrong. Parker has 1...the Falcons D has 2. 

2) Ron Parker has his one pick for a defense thats worse than the Falcons' defense.....so.....

so......the front office or Coaches need to do something to fix the mess we have on defense right now. 

Thank you for the Parker correction as I believed Parker had two and was wrong about that…….and I agree that the KC Defense has been bad but they have yet to allow 43 points in a game.   That is the height of folly and I am not sure that their Defense is worse than Atlanta right now, especially after losing Allen.

My point is we need to seriously evaluate three things;

1.  Do we have the personal to run the 4-2-5 Base that we run?   I say no.

2. Are their serviceable bodies to be brought in?  I say yes even though we may need to alter our scheme some.

3. Are we gonna write off the season because the injuries continue to mount?  Have no real answer to that question at this time.

16 minutes ago, Precyse said:

Name a receiver that had got pass our Safety like Julio and Ridley did yesterday. 

Name a safety on the field for 100% of the snaps while 37 points were scored. only the OT 7 were scored while he was off the field. 

I wish we had him, we need him. But people are acting like the defense was sooo much better while he was out there. It wasn't. Missing Debo and Neal and Takk already, it doesnt matter if Rico is there.

29 minutes ago, runshoot said:

Name a safety on the field for 100% of the snaps while 37 points were scored. only the OT 7 were scored while he was off the field. 

I wish we had him, we need him. But people are acting like the defense was sooo much better while he was out there. It wasn't. Missing Debo and Neal and Takk already, it doesnt matter if Rico is there.

Right because offenses will throw the ball to the running back and make Riley make the tackle. Kamara had 120 receiving yards. 20 yards less than Ridley. Mind you this was against Drew Brees. Watch how trash our defense becomes against the Daltons, Smiths, and Mayfields of the league if Rico is not starting at safety. 

Just read that Rico tore his Achilles. Yeah those QBs will throw it to whoever they want. 

Edited by Precyse