GhostofGritz

A Couple of Problems With This D-Even When Healthy

58 posts in this topic

There are a couple of major problems with this defense that are ever-present, even when it's healthy. Both of these problems point directly to poor coaching IMO:

1. Poor tackling. This has been a hallmark of Quinn defenses, and it's hard to figure out why. I don't know if the well-publicized embracing of rugby-style tackling is the culprit or if it's just lack of focus and concentration, but yards Falcons opponents get after initial contact is ridiculous. It was on full display yesterday...If you can't stop a 39-year-old Brees in the open field with no blockers in front of him, you may need to go back to the drawing board.

2. No ball hawks. Interceptions bounce off of hands, knees, elbows, helmets, etc. Opposing ball carriers are rarely stripped of the ball. I'd give anything to have at least one guy on this D who has a real nose for getting the football. Quinn preaches this is the press virtually every week. How many times have we heard him say "It's about the ball?" 

Edited by GhostofGritz

4 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

There are a couple of major problems with this defense that are ever-present, even when it's healthy. Both of these problems point directly to poor coaching IMO:

1. Poor tackling. This has been a hallmark of Quinn defenses, and it's hard to figure out why. I don't know if the well-publicized embracing of rugby-style tackling is the culprit or if it's just lack of focus and concentration, but yards Falcons opponents get after initial contact is ridiculous. It was on full display yesterday...If you can't stop a 39-year-old Brees in the open field with no blockers in front of him, you may need to go back to the drawing board.

2. No ball hawks. Interceptions bounce off of hands, knees, elbows, helmets, etc. Opposing ball carriers are rarely stripped of the ball. I'd give anything to have at least one guy on this D who has a real nose for getting the football. Quinn preaches this is the press virtually every week. How many times have we heard him say "It's about the ball?" 

You sir are correct.

Yes.

It stinks to have so many key players out due to injury. But Alford and Poole not being able to bring down a 39yo QB in the open field has nothing to do with injuries. That was just PATHETIC performance by players who should be better. It was reminiscent of the Jameis Winston 3rd and long scramble from a few years ago, except that was a young (and bigger QB). Bottom line, Brees *wanted* it more than the Falcons defenders, and it's sad but true. 

ZoneOne01, mqg96, JDaveG and 5 others like this

2 minutes ago, high impact said:

Add to the fact the defense had no clue where they were suppose to line up pre-snap. Brees will eat your lunch all day and it showed, when you are confused on defense.

The Falcons defense looked like they pulled 11 fans out of the seats and plugged them in on the field. 

They did. And they got a HC out of the john to sit on the sidelines to look confuse and cheer/high five all game.

high impact likes this

6 minutes ago, high impact said:

Add to the fact the defense had no clue where they were suppose to line up pre-snap. Brees will eat your lunch all day and it showed, when you are confused on defense.

The Falcons defense looked like they pulled 11 fans out of the seats and plugged them in on the field. 

As soon a rico went out it was a wrap. Also my mindset before the season started was debo is the one player we could not lose on defense. I think rico is 2. Defense was so lost man .

I also felt that our secondary was the unit i was not concerned about this gm. Was rough. We also have no pass rush. Dont know what quinn and thomas were thinking about on that.

I almost started a “We can’t tackle thread” but this will do! The db’s all came into the league tackling with the crown of their helmets whenever possible. The switch to rugby style tackling has never happened imo. I know Brees is tricky in the pocket but that was an embarrassing TD run.

Is it possible that the Saints d-line is that much better than our d-line.   We could not get back to the line of scrimmage when we ran. Our defensive line was inconsistent and porous at times.

So no tackling and then we got whipped at the line of scrimmage for the most part on both sides of the ball. Every punt feels like it is going to be blocked and finally one did. It is not Bosher, it our alignment or personnel, something is out whack somewhere and has been all season,

Kind of wish they would have sent the house on almost every play. It was a hard game to watch as we don't get to see our defense smash anyone in the mouth. They just sit back and keep taking punches and then ball up in a heap in the corner of the ring. I remember one play 3rd and 6 where the Saints went with three wide and the one defender covering the slot dropped back like 8 yards off his receiver. Guess what Brees did. Yep took the easy first down throw to the slot. I called it pre-snap. Now if I can see it why can't a dang defender that is in the game. He just stood and watched as the ball was thrown to his man. 

Edited by high impact

DQ and MM  have always tried to tell y'all that Rico was more valuable than some of y'all gave him credit for.  Keep it real  Rico, Debo, Neal and Takk was just too much to not have. Did you see us scrambling around on defense? This is the FO's fault, injuries are part of the game and we stood Pat this offseason instead of getting some Ballers who could help us get to the Super Bowl then we cut a couple of players who could have helped us have more depth in the last cut. No more patsy stuff we are going to have to make a few major moves if we want to make the playoffs this year while we got some weapons.

2 hours ago, GhostofGritz said:

That also goes back to talent evaluation….correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Ron Parker have as many interceptions as the Falcons Defense?

We also seem to lack a consistent pass rush and pocket disruption in the middle.

It is shameful that one player (Rico) can be this important to the organisation on field in what is supposed to be a "simple" scheme

1 hour ago, Gold4425 said:

DQ and MM  have always tried to tell y'all that Rico was more valuable than some of y'all gave him credit for.  Keep it real  Rico, Debo, Neal and Takk was just too much to not have. Did you see us scrambling around on defense? This is the FO's fault, injuries are part of the game and we stood Pat this offseason instead of getting some Ballers who could help us get to the Super Bowl then we cut a couple of players who could have helped us have more depth in the last cut. No more patsy stuff we are going to have to make a few major moves if we want to make the playoffs this year while we got some weapons.

Yeah we went for STers (and many of them rookies) instead of serviceable backups at key positions. ST still suck and we have no depth.

3 hours ago, GhostofGritz said:

You make great points here - and there is one more.

This defense seems to lack stamina.    I know that Quinn likes to go into the prevent at the end of games, but it seems they break too often.    Yesterday, I knew when we didn't go down and score a field goal at the end of the game - we were done.    I knew that if NO won the toss - there was no way we win.   I knew.   Just like I knew in the SB that we were done.

They wear down as the game goes on, with only a couple of guys who really seem to go all 60 - and every one of those guys was out of the game yesterday.   They just can't seem to  hold up especially against bigger offensive lines and power running backs.

The strength and conditioning coach needs to find the biggest hill he can in Atlanta or have them bring one out to Flowery Branch - and those guys need to hit that hill - strapped with as much weight as the humidity and heat will allow - every single practice.    They need to work on stamina - especially against bigger stronger teams.

4 hours ago, GhostofGritz said:

Which is crazy because we have three guys going for it instead of tackling the ball carrier. So many first downs or short yardage because we give up 3-4 yards getting trucked because no ones trying to take down the ball carrier. 

Edited by Dirtybird3

31 minutes ago, Tandy said:

You make great points here - and there is one more.

This defense seems to lack stamina.    I know that Quinn likes to go into the prevent at the end of games, but it seems they break too often.    Yesterday, I knew when we didn't go down and score a field goal at the end of the game - we were done.    I knew that if NO won the toss - there was no way we win.   I knew.   Just like I knew in the SB that we were done.

They wear down as the game goes on, with only a couple of guys who really seem to go all 60 - and every one of those guys was out of the game yesterday.   They just can't seem to  hold up especially against bigger offensive lines and power running backs.

The strength and conditioning coach needs to find the biggest hill he can in Atlanta or have them bring one out to Flowery Branch - and those guys need to hit that hill - strapped with as much weight as the humidity and heat will allow - every single practice.    They need to work on stamina - especially against bigger stronger teams.

That is what happens when you build a fast but undersized team. If they go against a bigger power team they wear the smaller fast players down over time and once run down ya just don't get back up and go. Also once players get tired they have a grater risk of injury. I like our fast team. I just would like to see some more big hoss players brought in to help carry some of the load. The Falcons need a bit more balance with some size and speed. 

rounz, robertap, Tandy and 1 other like this

1 hour ago, Gold4425 said:

2nd string ballers?

8 minutes ago, high impact said:

That is what happens when you build a fast but undersized team. If they go against a bigger power team they wear the smaller fast players down over time and once run down ya just don't get back up and go. Also once players get tired they have a grater risk of injury. I like our fast team. I just would like to see some more big hoss players brought in to help carry some of the load. The Falcons need a bit more balance with some size and speed. 

People forget that despite Dan Quinn being the defensive coordinator for the Seahawks from 2013-14, Pete Caroll and the GM still made sure they had BIG physical guys up front and not just speedy guys. You can tell the 2013 Seahawks had way bigger guys up front and even in the secondary than we've had throughout the Dan Quinn era. They had speed and big size. The problem with us is that we only have speed but small average sized guys which is why we keep getting worn down and blowing leads over and over again. The Eagles who won the Super Bowl had HUGE guys up front on both sides of the ball and a power running game, which is why they've always been a bad match up for us against Doug Peterson.