Mercedes Benz Stadium has a problem

I sat in aisle 338 today. Afterwards I walked to the escalators that led downstairs to Gate 1. It was roped off by stadium management and they told me to take an elevator (which holds 10 people) or walk down the steps. They also told 72,000 people the same thing so the stairs were crammed full. Bottom line, it took me almost 30 minutes to get out. If someone with an ounce of sense doesn't get involved there is going to be a stampede and people will get hurt. Imagine Saint and Falcons fans crammed together and barely moving.. There is a problem here.. a big problem.

5 minutes ago, wartownfalcon said:

That is the only negative about the Benz. It was said last year. All the sections bottleneck to Gate 1. The ramps at the Ga Dome worked like a well oiled machine 

Let's hope it never happens, but some kind of emergency could create a panic stampede that could kill a whole lot of people. A bewilderingly careless design flaw that could become a death trap in a worst-case scenario.

3 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Let's hope it never happens, but some kind of emergency could create a panic stampede that could kill a whole lot of people. A bewilderingly careless design flaw that could become a death trap in a worst-case scenario.

If a fire were to happen, it would be a VERY bad day with thousands of casualties 

Like the commentators pointed out, this stadium was built for the casual & even non football fan, to walk around, eat the food & see the sights. It was engineered to look awesome, but the cost of that is that people aren’t as tight around the field and aren’t as focused on the game. It’s nothing like the 12th man was in Seattle. 

Took me 23 minutes to get out of the stadium from the upper deck.  Got stuck in the bottle neck and decided to go down the ramps as it looked quicker.  Felt like I walked for miles.  Was talking with a Saints fan and he was wondering if he was ever going to make it out.  After getting to the bottom and out, I then had to climb the stairs back

UP to get to the CNN Center.  My wife refuses to go to the games now because she's so frustrated about the exit plan which after 8 games we still don't have the best answer... Can we put the GA Dome back?

5 hours ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Like the commentators pointed out, this stadium was built for the casual & even non football fan, to walk around, eat the food & see the sights. It was engineered to look awesome, but the cost of that is that people aren’t as tight around the field and aren’t as focused on the game. It’s nothing like the 12th man was in Seattle. 

Yep, I am getting tired of seeing a bunch of empty seats in the lower level during all stages of the game. 

I have a question about the stadium, what is up with that train horn? Sweet baby Jesus, that thing was unbearable even through the television. How in the heck do y’all deal with that at the stadium in person? 

We had an “air raid” siren in like 2014-15 on 3rd downs and due to our defense consistently failing to get off the field and giving up 3rd downs of all distances, it practically formed a Pavlovian response to expect an inept defensive collapse upon hearing it.

Edited by Iron Saint
9 hours ago, slewis1952 said:

I sat in aisle 338 today. Afterwards I walked to the escalators that led downstairs to Gate 1. It was roped off by stadium management and they told me to take an elevator (which holds 10 people) or walk down the steps. They also told 72,000 people the same thing so the stairs were crammed full. Bottom line, it took me almost 30 minutes to get out. If someone with an ounce of sense doesn't get involved there is going to be a stampede and people will get hurt. Imagine Saint and Falcons fans crammed together and barely moving.. There is a problem here.. a big problem.

I saw this at the CFA Kickoff last year.  There was lots of shoving, and luckily it didn't get ugly.  They better make a new door.

13 minutes ago, Iron Saint said:

I have a question about the stadium, what is up with that train horn? Sweet baby Jesus, that thing was unbearable even through the television. How in the heck do y’all deal with that at the stadium in person? 

We had an “air raid” siren in like 2014-15 on 3rd downs and due to our defense consistently failing to get off the field and giving up 3rd downs of all distances, it practically formed a Pavlovian response to expect an inept defensive collapse upon hearing it.

I bet it supposed to be a callback to us being a train hub, but when I was on the skybridge, it sounded like it was 5 feet away.  Enough already, gameday staff.

9 hours ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Fans like me, who were in those low level seats in the Dome, would have been making noise instead of walking around.  Now I can only afford the cheap sections.

Agree 100%. It's a design flaw (fewer exits) exacerbated by the decision to route all the fans out through Gate 1. My seats are in 312 and it took 25 mins to get from 3rd floor stairs to the Gate 1 exit, something that should take less than 15 even with foot traffic. 

It's actually significant enough to affect whether i renew season tix. If we ever have a legit sellout (and not the fake ones they announce- the folks at the bars do not account for the thousands of empty seats), we could face a serious problem that could mean serious injury for the less healthy fans. 

This was my first football game at MBS.  It is a beautiful stadium with all the bells and whistles.  However the egress is extremely poor.  

Getting in and out of the stadium is a problem.  I have attended NFL games at a number of stadiums across the country.  The delays on entry were the worst I have experienced.  

I, along with hundreds of fans, were baking in the sun waiting to get in.  Further more, stadium workers were incorrectly directing fans and adding to the confusion.  

If matters are not corrected, the SB will trigger a lot of national criticism . 

12 hours ago, TheFalcoholic said:

Not really what the thread is about, but honestly, with all the false start penalties opposing offenses are having, I'm feeling pretty good.

This was a huge problem the times I've been too.  15 to 20 minutes to go less than 100 feet and then it breaks wide open.  Like others, I hope nothing tragic happens because that will be a mad rush, a stampede, and bad day for the Falcons and the NFL, especially since all us us are on record about it.  

13 hours ago, slewis1952 said:

I sat in aisle 338 today. Afterwards I walked to the escalators that led downstairs to Gate 1. It was roped off by stadium management and they told me to take an elevator (which holds 10 people) or walk down the steps. They also told 72,000 people the same thing so the stairs were crammed full

If the 300 level holds 72,000, how many people does the entire stadium hold? Haha j/k

But seriously, the game was over when Alford and Poole missed tackling a 40yr old slow QB and let him score a TD. You should have gotten up and left then, and that way you could have been cool breezing it back your car or the marta

Edited by JKH5785