Has our window slammed shut?

AKFalcon72

1 hour ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I'm sorry but this doesnt tell you anything. I mean.....for all the hemming and hawing about 12 vs. 26, are you REALLY more comfortable with the Patriots roster than the Falcons roster right now? Really? Are they better at any position group other than QB? And are we positive they're still better at QB? And not for nothing but a number of our "stars" are right in that 1-4 million dollar range. 

We dont have "no depth." We're in a situation where now we need our "depth" to be "starters," and in a highly concentrated area of the field. Which pretty much always goes poorly for teams in that situation. Because "depth" players are depth players for a reason....either they're too young to be starters (Kazee, Schweitzer, Riley) or they arent good enough to be starters anyway (Wreh-Wilson, Richards, etc.). 

I trust their ability to build a championship roster.  And it has always been Belichick’s mantra to have solid players 1 through 30.   Agree with me or not, the philosophy is sound and beyond dispute. Two or three injuries will not disrupt their season. Why?  Because  their back ups are quality players earning $1 million or more. Not stars but scheme tips. So it does tell you something if you care to look at it objectively.  Depth matters in the NFL

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

I think we're done this year.  Teams have won the SB with critical injuries (Philly last year comes to mind) but I don't see any way that defense we sent out on Sunday will be enough to get it done.

As we're so used to saying around here....maybe next year.

Fans
Always
Left
Counting
On
Next
Season

This is why you run and kick with a late lead in the Superbowl.

Just now, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Fans
Always
Left
Counting
On
Next
Season

This is why you run and kick with a late lead in the Superbowl.

Been saying it...the sting of 2016 is going to be felt more in the subsequent years like this one when we get unlucky with injuries.  When you get to the SB and you got a team dead to rights you have to FINISH THEM!  Every fanbase thinks their team will be back.  Most of the time it doesn't happen.  At least not for a long time.

27 minutes ago, slamee101 said:

Been saying it...the sting of 2016 is going to be felt more in the subsequent years like this one when we get unlucky with injuries.  When you get to the SB and you got a team dead to rights you have to FINISH THEM!  Every fanbase thinks their team will be back.  Most of the time it doesn't happen.  At least not for a long time.

Hammer, meet head of nail.  The problem is a head coach has to be thinking of this when he calls a game in the Superbowl:

"If I screw this up, how much is this gonna suck?"

Screenshot_2017-06-23-13-53-00_1.thumb.jpg.cf0632a29be5e541e68bb027e18b48ed.jpg

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I trust their ability to build a championship roster.  And it has always been Belichick’s mantra to have solid players 1 through 30.   Agree with me or not, the philosophy is sound and beyond dispute. Two or three injuries will not disrupt their season. Why?  Because  their back ups are quality players earning $1 million or more. Not stars but scheme tips. So it does tell you something if you care to look at it objectively.  Depth matters in the NFL

There's nothing wrong with the philosophy...its the enacting of the philosophy thats the issue. I mean....I can't even say the Patriots have "solid" players from 1-20 right now, let alone 1-30. So yes, you'd rather have "depth" than "no depth" but just indexing that to salary isnt the way to determine whether you've got a deep roster or not. Do you really think its preferable to pay Dwayne Allen almost $4 million for ~15 snaps a game than it is to pay Eric Saubert $500,000? Or that its better to pay Cordarelle Patterson $3.5 million than Russell Gage $500,000? I dont. And thats before we get into the obvious incentives that are built into the Patriots but not really shared by any other team. Its a whole heck of a lot easier to build "depth" when your primary players are willing to accept below market deals. Thats not an option for ~31 other teams in the league for one year contracts, let alone multi-year deals. 

Honestly, a lot of this smells a lot like working backwards, which is pretty much ALWAYS the case when it comes to assessments of depth. We find the teams that win and then just state "they have a deep roster." But they dont....at least not always. This Patriots roster (and the one last year, TBH) are as weak as they've been since ~06. They're able to make it happen because they have a HC who has an unmatched understanding of football and a willingness to enact creative strategies few others are capable of. They also have the greatest QB of all time....although we're seeing the limitations of that, as well. 

The reality is that the "deepest" teams are the ones that stay relatively healthy and don't actually have to test their depth except for in very specific, focused ways. When you're using your depth as flourish, your roster looks super deep. When you're using your depth as "oh no, half our starters are on IR" things usually go poorly. Even for the Patriots. Which is why they had the worst defense in the league last year. And might be running it back at roughly the same level this year. 

3 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I like this approach and I agree. But the window may be closing for some of us older Falcons fans... sounds macabre, but you know what I mean.

Yes, I know EXACTLY what you mean!  As a "lifer" with this team, and a pretty healthy 71 yrs. old, I just hope I live long enough to see us lift at least one Lombardi... 

1 hour ago, Faithful Falcon said:

As long as we have Ryan, and a healthy powerful offense. The window is open. High powered offenses have won Super Bowls as well. We just need our OL to start playing better.

This adversity might help them. They have nothing to lose backs against the wall. The offense will be less conservative that is the best part.

42 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I want it soon.  My chronological clock is ticking. 

Yeah, mine's ticking, too!!!  And what about poor 'ol Artie --- I'm sure he feels the same way. 
I mean, look at all the time & money he's spent with this team, and no Lombardi, yet. 
Really, I want it more for him and Matt Ryan than I do for myself ---   

On 9/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, AKFalcon72 said:

Too many injuries on D to overcome.

2016 was our year and we blew it!

For so long I wanted to believe the 2016 Super Bowl was rigged but the way I'm seeing this Dan Quinn defense play Lately and even sometimes last year, starting to believe that those were our guys playing that way for real, and the Patriots really did outclass us, I'm starting to lose the thought that it was rigged and it is sad because that's our defense for real smh.