Has our window slammed shut?

AKFalcon72

You never know but this is not a championship defense.

The sad thing is last year was probably the most talented roster on paper because of the depth at dline.

This year they took a gamble on the depth up front... I’m not sure why.  You would have thought they would have learned from the Mike Smith years.

Could have gotten Bennet in a trade.... nope.  We’re fine.  We have Jack Crawford.

What is truly scary is the parallel between this and the 2013 offseason.  Avril & Bennett we’re available.  Falcons could have made a move for either or both.  Nope.  We’re good.  We have Osi and Biermann.

You are NEVER good enough on the dline.  Look at the Rams.   Look at the Eagles

**** the future.  The future is NOW

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

You never know but this is not a championship defense.

The sad thing is last year was probably the most talented roster on paper because of the depth at dline.

This year they took a gamble on the depth up front... I’m not sure why.  You would have thought they would have learned from the Mike Smith years.

Could have gotten Bennet in a trade.... nope.  We’re fine.  We have Jack Crawford.

What is truly scary is the parallel between this and the 2013 offseason.  Avril & Bennett we’re available.  Falcons could have made a move for either or both.  Nope.  We’re good.  We have Osi and Biermann.

You are NEVER good enough on the dline.  Look at the Rams.   Look at the Eagles

**** the future.  The future is NOW

nah. 

2 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

I don't believe in "windows." If you draft well and pick up effective FAs, have a good coaching staff, GM, and owner your mythical "window" can at least stay cracked while you're retooling.

When has the Patriots' window closed? And to stop you before you start with bringing up Brady, you don't think Belicheat would have still found a way to win with another QB? Went 10-6 with Cassel.

11-5 with Cassel. But I dont think Belichick would have been to ~9 or 10 straight AFC CGs without Tom Brady. They're two cogs in a two piece machine. 

But overall, you're spot on. If your team has a good process in place and is effective at scouting and developing, you'll remain competitive. Some down years here and there but definitely above water. 

11 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

I don't believe in "windows." If you draft well and pick up effective FAs, have a good coaching staff, GM, and owner your mythical "window" can at least stay cracked while you're retooling.

When has the Patriots' window closed? And to stop you before you start with bringing up Brady, you don't think Belicheat would have still found a way to win with another QB? Went 10-6 with Cassel.

In theory, yes. In real world actuality, obviously a challenge. See Atlanta 2013-15, see Seattle now. .

our window isn’t closed, but we do need to make a lot of the right moves as these contracts are coming due.  It’s gonna be tricky.

9 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

That's a fair assessment regarding how far the duo of Brady and Belichick went and wouldn't go if they weren't together...but I do think the season with Cassel wasn't an outlier. I think that season was the Pats version of being above water. 

Absolutely. Belichick is ridiculous. And even if this is "the downturn of the Pats" it doesnt make him any less of a savant. 

On 9/23/2018 at 5:28 PM, TheeTKOBeatz said:

Our depth is not good enough to hold serve...and at this point ...you cant expect anything of the street to help...and a trade would only fill one of many starting holes...I believe the season is done unfortunately in a super bowl contending sense...still got my squad's back tho

Agreed.  As a team our roster is too top heavy.  It’s why a few of us asked for fiscal discipline and letting a good player or two walk.  We have 12 players who earn between $1,000,000 and $4,000,000 this year.  Patriots have 26.  Pretty much the same for last year.  We have lots of stars but no depth which at some point will bite you in the butt

17 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

No, our window hasnt slammed shut. 

Yes, 2016 was our best chance for a SB win. Before that, it was 2012. Thats the way it works. There's always a "that was our best shot" moment in the past up until the point in time when you achieve the goal. 

Everyone needs to calm down. Think big picture. 

For the first time ever, I finally agree with you on something, but it won't be this year because we don't have a championship defense. This year's defense is last year's defense minus Poe, Clayborn, Neal, Debo, Rico, and temporarily Takk and Shelby. Like I said before, 2020 will be the Falcons' last chance with Matt Ryan as our QB. As long as we've had our franchise QB #2, our window has always been open, but it will close for awhile once he leaves. 

9 minutes ago, Vandy said:

In theory, yes. In real world actuality, obviously a challenge. See Atlanta 2013-15, see Seattle now. .

our window isn’t closed, but we do need to make a lot of the right moves as these contracts are coming due.  It’s gonna be tricky.

But Seattle hasnt continued to make good decisions. They essentially drafted a dynamo team in ~3 years and were able to build around that core for another two. But this is the same team that traded their best OL and multiple first round picks. They rode the Tom Cable train for years past its expiration date. 

Good organizations typically avoid those sorts of moves. That helps them stay competitive. Not necessarily favorites, but in a position to remain competitive and take a decent sized jump if things break right. 

Thats all you can hope for.....unless you're the Pats. 

14 minutes ago, Vandy said:

and I really hope Thomas Dimitroff learned from that 2013-2015 experience too and doesn't make the same mistake again. 

6 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

Case in point: I thought, even before this rash of injuries on the D, that Quinn and TD were foolish to let Poe and Clayborn get away so easily. If the backup plan was Senat for Poe, and some kind of Shelby-Crawford hybrid substitute for Clay, those are huge dropoffs.

Finally someone else who brings this up. Even if Neal and Debo stayed healthy, our D-line and pass rush were taking a step back no matter what with the losses of those 2 players combined. 

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Agreed.  As a team our roster is too top heavy.  It’s why a few of us asked for fiscal discipline and letting a good player or two walk.  We have 12 players who earn between $1,000,000 and $4,000,000 this year.  Patriots have 26.  Pretty much the same for last year.  We have lots of stars but no depth which at some point will bite you in the butt

I'm sorry but this doesnt tell you anything. I mean.....for all the hemming and hawing about 12 vs. 26, are you REALLY more comfortable with the Patriots roster than the Falcons roster right now? Really? Are they better at any position group other than QB? And are we positive they're still better at QB? And not for nothing but a number of our "stars" are right in that 1-4 million dollar range. 

We dont have "no depth." We're in a situation where now we need our "depth" to be "starters," and in a highly concentrated area of the field. Which pretty much always goes poorly for teams in that situation. Because "depth" players are depth players for a reason....either they're too young to be starters (Kazee, Schweitzer, Riley) or they arent good enough to be starters anyway (Wreh-Wilson, Richards, etc.). 

On 9/23/2018 at 5:27 PM, I Even Bleed Red said:

When you blow a 28-3 lead in one of the most monumental meltdowns in NFL history, I'm not sure how you win a SB after that as a franchise. 

Answer: Pay your QB a huge sum of money and hope the other GREAT teamates will not want to break the bank also. .... . I believe this franchise will be put up for sale in two years.      :flush:

1 hour ago, GhostofGritz said:

It is tricky, and I am by no means saying that I think the combo of Blank-Dimitroff-Quinn will be able to pull it off, certainly not to the level of success that the Pats have had.

Case in point: I thought, even before this rash of injuries on the D, that Quinn and TD were foolish to let Poe and Clayborn get away so easily. If the backup plan was Senat for Poe, and some kind of Shelby-Crawford hybrid substitute for Clay, those are huge dropoffs.

And if the response to that is "We couldn't afford Poe and/or Clayborn!", then my response is "Go out and find some mid-tier FAs who wouldn't be such a big dropoff."

Man, I’m with you on Poe and Clayborn. I like Senat a lot, but he’s too raw to throw out there full time. McClain is awful, and Crawford isn’t any better either. And we’re seeing some of the ramifications of that in Jarrett’s play, he’s getting double-teamed more. And why did we let Parker go replacing him with god-awful Richards? Combine all that with a pretty weak 2017 draft and you take a step backwards.

I’m a Rico fan, but extending him didn’t make a lot of sense to me. And tendering Garland? WTF?

These are the type moves you gotta get right on. And we didn’t, IMO. 

8 minutes ago, GhostofGritz said:

It is tricky, and I am by no means saying that I think the combo of Blank-Dimitroff-Quinn will be able to pull it off, certainly not to the level of success that the Pats have had.

And if the response to that is "We couldn't afford Poe and/or Clayborn!", then my response is "Go out and find some mid-tier FAs who wouldn't be such a big dropoff."

Clayborn and Poe are the exact type of dudes you have to let go, IMO. And not for nothing but Clay was a nice rotation piece but we dont have anywhere near enough evidence to suggest that Shelby/Crawford cant be competent replacements at that spot. 

The FO tried to sign "mid-tier FAs" to fill those gaps.....three weeks in, it hasnt worked. Why? Who knows. Every year the best teams win the bargain basement lottery with some vet min contract. But theres no rhyme or reason to which of those players outperforms their history or salary point. Sometimes, dudes react well to changes in situation. Sometimes dudes just play well in a one-off sort of way! I dont know how much design goes into that sort of thing. I think it might just be a lottery ticket thing. 

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Man, I’m with you on Poe and Clayborn. I like Senat a lot, but he’s too raw to throw out there full time. McClain is awful, and Crawford isn’t any better either. And why did we let Parker go replacing him with god-awful Richards? Combine all that with a pretty weak 2017 draft and you take a step backwards.

These are the type moves you gotta hit on. And we didn’t, IMO. 

What do you think of our 2018 draft so far? Calvin Ridley has delivered so far, but I don't see anyone else past him though. I hope he wasn't our only good pick just like Takk last season. 

1 minute ago, mqg96 said:

What do you think of our 2018 draft so far? Calvin Ridley has delivered so far, but I don't see anyone else past him though. I hope he wasn't our only good pick just like Takk last season. 

Oliver and senat will be future starters. Both are raw but very talented.

Just now, runshoot said:

Yes the window closed. Ryan and Julio another year older. Coleman gone next year and gimpy Freeman will be the main stay. Defense will continue to have zero depth and not enough D line help. Our chance has come and gone.

The window looked closed between 2013 and 2015 too after we blew it against the 49ers in 2012. 2008 was Matt Ryan's rookie season. 2012 was Matt Ryan's best year with Mike Smith. 2016 was Matt Ryan's best season as a QB. Give us 2 more years when we make adjustments on defense and other contracts across the roster. 

11 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Senat's already been very good from what I've seen. 

I'm amazed that we're still in the game of judging draft picks based on ~18 games, let alone 3. But I guess here we are...

True, i’m Basing what I said on what little I know on their talent...which is based on what I’ve read....so I could be full of crap. :ninja:

20 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

Panicking in a season by running and trading draft capital for veteran contracts is how you close your own window as the falcons. There’s too much to look forward to push all the chips in for this year. Never mind that we’re only 3 games in. 

This is all very true.