Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mqg96

I haven't been less mad about a Saints loss in a long time.

80 posts in this topic

Why, because you can't overcome THAT MANY injuries to your most key guys on defense and expect to beat Drew Brees in a rivalry like this. Matt Ryan had a career high 5 TD's with 300+ yards passing and Ridley had a career high as a rookie in game 3 surpassing Odell Beckham for a rookie and we still lost. We are depleted on defense, and we are now last in the NFC South with the Bucs having a chance to take a 3-0 lead with the Saints and Panthers being 2-1. Our season is done. You can't lose your MOST KEY guys like that and expect to overcome. We don't have much linebacker depth, but wait a minute, the preseason didn't matter when we weren't playing well right? 

We had a chance to win that game, and why did we lost, because of coaching. Simple as that. The blocked punt that led to a Saints TD, and right before halftime, the Falcons could have taken a 17-13 lead, but instead our play calling was boneheaded and we gave the Saints the ball back and they took a 16-14 lead, and that was HUGE. Wil Lutz is the Saints kicker from my hometown so I expected everything to bounce his way lol, and Benjamin Watson owns the Falcons for some reason. Kamara came back in his hometown (who was injured in last year's game in Atlanta) and torched us too.

Last year when Deion Jones saved us at the goal line, we had Adrian Clayborn, Dontari Poe, Keanu Neal, Takk McKinley, Ricardo Allen, and more key guys healthy. We knew coming into the season we were already thin after the losses of Dontari Poe and Adrian Clayborn, why couldn't we afford both? But then you lose Deion Jones for weeks, Keanu Neal for the season, Takk McKinley, Derrick Shelby, and even Andy Levitre on the offensive side, and now you lost Ricardo Allen who is your key leader. That's way too much to overcome. Kazee is a good safety, but he doesn't have the weight to tackle guys down hard like Neal does. 

TBH, I believe our season is over. We made the playoffs 2 years in a row which is good, and if we make it this year that would be 3 in a row for the first time since 2010-2012, but that isn't happening now. With our depleted defense we gave up the most yards since 2014 and guess what our defensive ranking was back in 2014..... 32nd. After 2018 we lose a lot to the free agency too. I don't think the Falcons return to the playoffs until the 2020 season (or January 2021 technically) when we play the AFC West again. 

The curse of teams hosting the Super Bowl on the home turf is real, let me make that very clear. The Saints aren't that good of a team, and good Falcons teams have usually beat them at home (except for 2010). The Saints are probably back to how they were from 2014-2016, and we lost to them because of our depleted defense. We swept the Saints in 2016, and we dominated Drew Brees at home in 2012.

I believe the Buccaneers will win the division this year, and they've had double digit win seasons playing the AFC North once year 8 years since 2002 when they won the Super Bowl at 12-4, and they barely missed the playoffs in 2010 with a 10-6 record. Here's a mind blowing stat, since 2016, the team picked to finish last in the NFC South by the media and the majority of the people have gone to 1st. The Falcons were supposed to be bad coming into 2016 with our brutal schedule and missing the playoffs 3 years in a row from 2013-2015, and we surprised everybody in 2016 going 11-5 with a high powered offense and the toughest schedule in the league, and we made it to the Super Bowl in our final year in the Georgia Dome. The Saints missed the playoffs 3 years in a row from 2014-2016 and everybody thought they'd be the worst team in 2017, and they surprised everybody with a division win at 11-5. It's the Bucs turn now in 2018, especially after they beat the Steelers on Monday Night.

The Falcons will be down this year (and probably next year too), then in 2020 no one believes us and we'll win the division again that year. I've said it many times, but when you don't expect much from the Falcons coming into a new season, they've always played at their best, and when you hype up the Falcons during the off season expecting them to be the best team in the league, they've always played bad. 

Edited by mqg96

I don't man. I'd been on board with this BEFORE the game. The fact that we should have won the game with better decisions to close out the first half and just doing your job on STs to prevent the blocked punt negates all of this. 

If I am a Saints fan, though, I'd be happy with the win because it is a win but I wouldn't feel good going forward seeing as how my defense gave up 37 points (while giving up an avg. of 34 ppg) and going toe for toe with a team missing several key starters and huge playmakers on their defense.

In any event, we had a chance and we should have won this game.

1 minute ago, bertrain7 said:

Losing like that sucks. But too many injuries. Injuries everywhere...

Ricardo Allen went down RIGHT AT OVERTIME when we needed him MOST! That's just ridiculous, and unfortunately, his injury reminded me of Neal's too. 

1 minute ago, The Vent King said:

I agree with OP... we get healthy on D we’ll be back at it

If Ricardo Allen is done for the year or out for as long as Deion Jones or longer, I believe the damage is permanent unfortunately. 

theDIRTYcode and PokerSteve like this

2 minutes ago, mqg96 said:

Ricardo Allen went down RIGHT AT OVERTIME when we needed him MOST! That's just ridiculous, and unfortunately, his injury reminded me of Neal's too. 

Yeah. Good thing our offense is clicking. We will need them until takk and debo get back. Can be a long season but we are still in it.

VTCrunkler likes this

Season isn't over. Got to have some of the youngsters on defense- Riley, Foye, Kazee, Senat step up. Can still make the playoffs.

Would consider a trade for Thomas, but doubt the Seahawks will blatantly tank the season.  

Unfortunately the playoffs is looking like a long shot.  The offense finally starting to get going & now the defense is just trash.  A lot is because of injury.  Add Neal, D Jones & Takk & they're much better. Is anybody else on the d-line anything better than average?  What do they have, 1 sack in 3 games combined.

Hey this is how I felt at this time in 2016, and they started to play better latter & you know the rest.  But they didn't have these key injuries.

PokerSteve likes this

Just now, falconidae said:

Season isn't over. Got to have some of the youngsters on defense- Riley, Foye, Kazee, Senat step up. Can still make the playoffs.

Would consider a trade for Thomas, but doubt the Seahawks will blatantly tank the season.  

I love optimism but this **** is over. We are down too many players to survive an NFL season. But Saturday's are gonna be FUN!

PokerSteve likes this

Just now, theDIRTYcode said:

I love optimism but this **** is over. We are down too many players to survive an NFL season. But Saturday's are gonna be FUN!

Naah, ain't many QB that can do what Brees just did. Assuming just a little improvement for the defense, falcons  can still make a run.

Quarterback likes this

2 minutes ago, MantiTeo'sGirlfriend said:

don't like the too many injuries excuse, last year the saints had like 8 players on IR and still almost made it to the NFCCG. I just think we aren't that good. 

So we lose to a healthy team that almost went to the nfccg in overtime and we aren't that good? Sounds right....

Thoughtful write-up.

Still, I knew in my gut the decision to get passive at the end of the first half would come back to get us as these games with the Saints often comes down to the wire.  

That was a big momentum let down and terrible decision.  You have the lead at 14-13, you know you're going to get the ball to open the second have (this is why you deferred, dummy!) and you not only show no real interest in moving the ball for a potential half-ending field goal, you give the Drew Brees and Sean Peyton the ball in great field position?  Stupid when you think about it, especially with your primary point about a depleted defense.  Why not take advantage of every offensive opportunity?

Just now, bertrain7 said:

So we lose to a healthy team that almost went to the nfccg in overtime and we aren't that good? Sounds right....

point is the injuries thing is just an excuse for an over rated falcons team. try and keep up. 

Not mad either. We lost to a average at best saints team. We are just too beat up to contend right now. A good team would have blown us out today

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

Naah, ain't many QB that can do what Brees just did. Assuming just a little improvement for the defense, falcons  can still make a run.

Unfortunately the Saints are built just like us. Trash defense, superior offense. I trust Payton and Brees more when the game is on the line. When Matt couldn't get us in FG range at the end of the 4th, I knew we had lost. 1st ballot HFer vs ......Matt Ryan.

2 minutes ago, MantiTeo'sGirlfriend said:

point is the injuries thing is just an excuse for an over rated falcons team. try and keep up. 

Keep going bro. You sound really intelligent.