Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GET-ME-A-DB-TD

Do NFL teams not hold Conditioning coaches accountable?

17 posts in this topic

I'm just sitting here watching NFL network and seeing all these starters not playing this week. It's not just us. Never mind the fact we have 5 starters out indefinitely AFTER ONLY TWO GAMES but man, some other teams have it bad also.

Is the Union and restrictions placed on workouts causing this? Do we just not value the strength and conditioning coach anymore? Are the players just getting lazy as ****? Wth is going on...

Injuries happen with or without conditioning.  Over extending, getting hit, getting bent in awkward positions can cause injuries and none of those things have anything to do with conditioning.  Injuries are random and can happen to anyone by anything.  I remember a player a few years ago who tore his ACL from jumping in celebration.

Edited by jeebus

Just seems sloppy. Remembering Keanu's rookie season in his preseason game....tweaked his knee with no contact. Now he's torn his knee up 5 min into his first live game with no contact.....

Takk gets banged up a little too often if you ask me...a groin can linger forever.

Free knew he had knee problems before the season began and here we are.

Levitre blew out his triceps last season and here he is again Tri-Cep-Less.

Point is, these guys are millionaires with access to the best doctors, trainers and voodoo doctors on the planet. 

Wth happened to prep? 

I'm all for a 10K fine on the grounds keepers as well for allowing that blade of grass to grow an inch higher that tripped Freeman up...  :rolleyes:

1989Fan likes this

So maybe we have some guys more prime to injury. That’s not necessarily a conditioning problem.

stuff happens, don’t always need to blame someone. 

mjqvi likes this

I worked in a private training facility, and we had NFL guys come in. Basically in the league the S&C coaches have workouts for the players, but it’s not required they follow them. A lot of players will have workouts/plans from their college strength coach or a private coach that they follow, so the players could all be doing 53 different workouts on a given day. The quality of those workouts? Up to debate depending on situation. Now, 99% of players workout with no prodding from the team staff, because if they made it that far they know the importance of training and keeping your body in shape. But you do occassionally get 1-2% that think they don’t need it, and they dont last long. 

5 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Falcons have had the same strength and conditioning coach for 3 years. First two years the  falcons were among the league leaders in fewest missed games due to injury. This year, not so much.

That's called bad luck. 

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/front-office-roster/jesse-ackerman

Beat me to it... thanks for sharing this so the dumb masses can put away the pitchforks for one day.

falconidae and J-Nice like this

Injuries happen in this sport, regardless of the full spectrum of preparation techniques a player can employ to become regular-season-ready. That's my "stating the obvious" moment of the day. You're welcome. :)

Sometimes I wonder if you guys truly know how special these players are. There bodies train and exert in ways 95% of people's bodies probably can't handle without a lot of complications. Yet a handful from every team get hurt every year and you guys act like it's weird. 

They are constantly putting pressure on their joints and ligaments that none of us will ever do in our lives and when something finally snaps it's "he should have trained more!!". Dude that's the problem, the body can only take so much. 

Not to mention the hits they take over and over again on a weekly basis. It's like repeated car crashes.

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Sometimes I wonder if you guys truly know how special these players are. There bodies train and exert in ways 95% of people's bodies probably can't handle without a lot of complications. Yet a handful from every team get hurt every year and you guys act like it's weird. 

They are constantly putting pressure on their joints and ligaments that none of us will ever do in our lives and when something finally snaps it's "he should have trained more!!". Dude that's the problem, the body can only take so much. 

Not to mention the hits they take over and over again on a weekly basis. It's like repeated car crashes.

Truth. What’s weird is there’s not more season-ending injuries.

Yo_Lover likes this

Too much muscle and bulk on top of the joints and ligaments. 

I haven't done any research on it but I bet you'd find a heck of a lot fewer non-contact injuries in the old days, simply because the players weren't bulked up and heavy as they are now.  Certainly they didn't work out as much.

Joints, bones and ligaments can't be strengthened the ways  muscles can.   That's why these athletes these days tear and snap things so easily.  They're trying to run Lotus engines on frames only strong enough for a Ford Fiesta. 

45 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Too much muscle and bulk on top of the joints and ligaments. 

I haven't done any research on it but I bet you'd find a heck of a lot fewer non-contact injuries in the old days, simply because the players weren't bulked up and heavy as they are now.  Certainly they didn't work out as much.

Joints, bones and ligaments can't be strengthened the ways  muscles can.   That's why these athletes these days tear and snap things so easily.  They're trying to run Lotus engines on frames only strong enough for a Ford Fiesta. 

I’ve always heard muscles will protect your ligaments more. When I tore my ACL my doc emphasized continuing to work out my leg as it healed to protect my ACL from another tear.