Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AF89

Atlanta United Playoff Thread

115 posts in this topic

This subforum remains a little on the slower trafficked side so we're going to go ahead and call it 5 games early and merge into the playoff thread ahead of schedule. 

Capped a huge comeback tonight, securing a playoff home game and maybe even a first round bye by Sunday if the results shake out.

Josef has now extended his record to 30 with this stoppage time game winner

Atlanta go 5 points clear in the shield race,  9 in the Champions League. We're also still alive for the all time points record. Tonight's win makes us the winningest road team in a single season.

From what I saw of Sundays game, they didn't do much.  

If I was Martino, I'd be concerned that another game against a challenger went by the wayside.

So when do the playoffs start then? Honestly I wish MLS would stop messing around and adopt the table style everyone else does where you win the league outright instead of this playoff bullcrap.

On 13/10/2018 at 6:57 PM, Zone#7 said:

So when do the playoffs start then? Honestly I wish MLS would stop messing around and adopt the table style everyone else does where you win the league outright instead of this playoff bullcrap.

A week after the last league game, so what's that going to be, 27/28th October? 

With more teams joining the MLS in the not too distant future, even less chance of a regular league style.

Some major international outlets reving up the Tata to Mexico rumors so it's looking likely we might be losing our coach at seasons end. Which is kind of neat having an MLS manager coveted by one of the top teams in our hemisphere but anyway.. .

I've seen the River Plate manager as potentially one of our target replacements. Would be smart to keep the South American pipeline Tata built.

Alternatively. ...Klinsman? :ninja: (runs and hides)

On 10/16/2018 at 11:19 PM, AF89 said:

Some major international outlets reving up the Tata to Mexico rumors so it's looking likely we might be losing our coach at seasons end. Which is kind of neat having an MLS manager coveted by one of the top teams in our hemisphere but anyway.. .

I've seen the River Plate manager as potentially one of our target replacements. Would be smart to keep the South American pipeline Tata built.

Alternatively. ...Klinsman? :ninja: (runs and hides)

Yuck. That would be like three steps back.

Think about this. I saw a rumor that Arsenal is interested in Miguel Almiron as a potential replacement for Aaron Ramsey, and a lot of fans like the idea. That's the kind of talent Tata has drawn and cultivated that it's catching the interest of fans overseas. 

Clinched the prize that comes with the Shield today in a Champions League spot but not the hardware itself.

Also tied Toronto`s season points record.

Will probably have to beat them to secure record and trophy (we've drawn 2 all in all 3 franchise meetings)

1 hour ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Yuck. That would be like three steps back.

Think about this. I saw a rumor that Arsenal is interested in Miguel Almiron as a potential replacement for Aaron Ramsey, and a lot of fans like the idea. That's the kind of talent Tata has drawn and cultivated that it's catching the interest of fans overseas. 

Id think hed be fine MLS manager but we SHOULD focus on shoring up the South American pipeline.

Don't think anyone posted it yet but we reportedly signed 25 year old Pity Martinez out of River Plate (from very credible sources the deal is done.) and my educated guess is he was told who the next manager would be (possibly his current)

They officially announced Tata`s departure at the end of the season. At least now we know and we can give him a proper thank you.

According to the Argentinian newspapers ALTUD has already contacted Guillermo Barros Schelotto , current Boca Juniors coach. His contract expires in December. He has taken Boca Juniors to back to back Argentinian championship and is currently one game away from the Copa Libertadores championship game. He was an Argentinean star that finished his career with Columbus Crew and won them the MLS championship. He was the MVP. He would be a perfect replacement for Tata. The Argentinian style/connection will continue plus he has MLS experience and I suspect speaks  english fluently. Guillermo is expected to sign with ALTUD.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:17 PM, falconsfansrus said:

According to the Argentinian newspapers ALTUD has already contacted Guillermo Barros Schelotto , current Boca Juniors coach. His contract expires in December. He has taken Boca Juniors to back to back Argentinian championship and is currently one game away from the Copa Libertadores championship game. He was an Argentinean star that finished his career with Columbus Crew and won them the MLS championship. He was the MVP. He would be a perfect replacement for Tata. The Argentinian style/connection will continue plus he has MLS experience and I suspect speaks  english fluently. Guillermo is expected to sign with ALTUD.

He'd be great for our pipeline with his pedigree (and a former MLS mvp!) but if your looking for any negatives alot of folks question his tactical acumen. Its allegedly once cost him a job opportunity in Seria that was supposed to be done and Boca fans mock it the way we do Quinn and his time management skills. He's won them two titles but they feel with thier talent advantage he could do more. But Boca fans are also entitled. They're struggling in league play season but he's got them on the cusp of a Copa libertadores final.

Of course sometimes you have to remind yourself Atl is still in the MLS. Pep Guardiola isn't walking through that door who ever you sign is probably going to have an imperfect resume even Tata did and he'd still be a huge get for any American team.

Of course sometimes you have to remind yourself that Atlanta is going to Atlanta.

On the verge of doing something historic, they go against a completely inferior team and get their arse handed to them.

Thanks "Tata" for this being all about you over the past couple of weeks.

So because of this layed egg, this record breaking team with all of it's ability has blown the Supporters Shield unless the Red Bulls choke even worse, and I fully expect an early departure from the post-season again.

Because Atlanta is always going to Atlanta.

Edited by TheUsualStuff

Chance to have the all time points record and our first trophy and not only was choked but choked horrifically.

Not how you want to start the playoffs.

Please let Miggy be healthy

It doesn't matter if Miggy is healthy. I fully expect this team to flame out in spectacular fashion in the playoffs.

There is absolutely no excuse for that shiptastic performance today. None. None other than this team peaked too early and then spent the last few weeks being a side show of wondering where the coach and the best players on the team will go next to play. You can't tell me that hasn't been a distraction.

Atlanta going to Atlanta.

Well lets not act like this team just sucks all of a sudden.

Any other season in MLS history this record is winning the shield and probably running away with it. So its yeah its pretty Atlanta that they broke so many records and it don't even come with a 1 seed but their also a team that was  2 points from the greatest regular season ever. They can make some noise in the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, TheUsualStuff said:

It doesn't matter if Miggy is healthy. I fully expect this team to flame out in spectacular fashion in the playoffs.

There is absolutely no excuse for that shiptastic performance today. None. None other than this team peaked too early and then spent the last few weeks being a side show of wondering where the coach and the best players on the team will go next to play. You can't tell me that hasn't been a distraction.

Atlanta going to Atlanta.

lol Miggy is arguably the most important player in league bout to go play for a premier league team of course his availability and health matters.

Josef will likely win MVP but he is an tick above average striker without Miggy

51 minutes ago, AF89 said:

Well lets not act like this team just sucks all of a sudden.

Any other season in MLS history this record is winning the shield and probably running away with it. So its yeah its pretty Atlanta that they broke so many records and it don't even come with a 1 seed but their also a team that was  2 points from the greatest regular season ever. They can make some noise in the playoffs.

Honestly, I'm not expecting anything from Atlanta. Got destroyed by Toronto. Got destroyed by DC United earlier in the season. Got destroyed by the Red Bulls earlier this season. They look like another team that's great in the regular season, beating up on lesser quality teams, but will quickly flame out in the post season.

20 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Honestly, I'm not expecting anything from Atlanta. Got destroyed by Toronto. Got destroyed by DC United earlier in the season. Got destroyed by the Red Bulls earlier this season. They look like another team that's great in the regular season, beating up on lesser quality teams, but will quickly flame out in the post season.

Then let me give you a few life lines

No team in the modern MLS post shootout era has as many road wins as United this year. The team looked bad today but the season was no fluke. They are more than capable of giving it to a team in thier building then coming home and holding serve.

Who ever they play next weekend will have played a wild card game on Wednesday and will be far less rested.

Tata and co have some kind of crazy goal differential following a loss the past two years and they`re nearly perfect this year following one.

But more than anything the MLS playoffs are ultimately a crapshoot. The supporter shield winner rarely wins it, admittedly there's some luck involved. RSL could freaking win the cup for all we know. We think we're cursed, this is like the Redbulls third or 4th shield in the last decade or so and they have yet to get the playoff monkey off thier backs.

We also match up pretty well with pretty much every team but Red Bulls who specialize in our weaknesses.

DC scares me a bit cause they are incredibly hot but at some point fatigue may catch them like it caught us last year and Rooney aside we have more talent.

We're rightly nervous about our chances because of last year but Larry, Parky and Nagby have all won cups while most of our South Americans have competed in far more challenging tournaments than MLS. We can still do this (of course itll be hard and the odds against us but even if we had won today it was never going to be easy)