Oliver practicing in full this week....

4 hours ago, gazoo said:

Poole may have more attempts at rushing  the passer than Beasley this year. Sarcasm/

Beasley has been dropping back in coverage, spent much of Panthers game spying on Newton.

Maybe if we allow Beasley to just tee off on the passer on passing downs he would start racking up sacks like other players who are allowed to tee off on passers on passing downs. 

Yes.  I am soooo glad that Cam and Brees are different ends of the spectrum... Cam, you have to spy... Brees, you have to pressure!

But LT Armstead is BEASTING... gonna need something special to get to Drew...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, yungfalc92 said:

Maybe Oliver playing this week wouldn't be so bad, hear me out. At best, we have an option that can disrupt Michael Thomas and his short/intermediate routes with his freakishly long arms and speed. At worst, we have an option that we can use to single coverage onto the TE, which frees Campbell up as an extra rusher.

What has Oliver shown you that makes you think he can carry Thomas' jock let alone disrupt him?

Just now, athell said:

What has Oliver shown you that makes you think he can carry Thomas' jock let alone disrupt him?

Projections mostly but obviously I believe he's a higher ceiling than Jalen Collins ever did. He just hasn't put it all together yet. To act like he couldn't be a disruptor on MT, even though he looked lost and unsure at times during preseason (when you want everyone to look like a rookie btw), shows that we value his abilities within DQs scheme differently I guess. 

21 minutes ago, yungfalc92 said:

Projections mostly but obviously I believe he's a higher ceiling than Jalen Collins ever did. He just hasn't put it all together yet. To act like he couldn't be a disruptor on MT, even though he looked lost and unsure at times during preseason (when you want everyone to look like a rookie btw), shows that we value his abilities within DQs scheme differently I guess. 

Not mostly, ALL projections.  If you are going off his body of work, which granted is extremely small, there is nothing to suggest he could do anything to interfere with whatever Michael Thomas wanted to do.

DB is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to pro, at least let him play in a regular season game before thinking he could do anything to slow Michael Thomas.  Eventually, hopefully he will be that guy, but right now that is an extremely tall task.

And it's really not about valuing abilities, he is the prototypical DQ corner, he just has zero experience at this level and the experience he did gain during preseason gives no indication right now that he could cover Thomas...at all...

3 minutes ago, athell said:

Not mostly, ALL projections.  If you are going off his body of work, which granted is extremely small, there is nothing to suggest he could do anything to interfere with whatever Michael Thomas wanted to do.

DB is one of the hardest positions to transition from college to pro, at least let him play in a regular season game before thinking he could do anything to slow Michael Thomas.  Eventually, hopefully he will be that guy, but right now that is an extremely tall task.

And it's really not about valuing abilities, he is the prototypical DQ corner, he just has zero experience at this level and the experience he did gain during preseason gives no indication right now that he could cover Thomas...at all...

Agree to disagree, and I won't get into a debate on specifics of words I used but I never said outright that Oliver would come into his own on Sunday and turn into the second coming of Richard Sherman...Just that at best, if used extensively Sunday and asked to cover MT, the best case scenario would be him being a disruptor. Which could make a big difference on Sunday. 

5 minutes ago, yungfalc92 said:

Agree to disagree, and I won't get into a debate on specifics of words I used but I never said outright that Oliver would come into his own on Sunday and turn into the second coming of Richard Sherman...Just that at best, if used extensively Sunday and asked to cover MT, the best case scenario would be him being a disruptor. Which could make a big difference on Sunday. 

And at worst?

46 minutes ago, yungfalc92 said:

Idk man, a rookie who gets benched? 

Or giving up a crucial touchdown like he did against lesser opponents in the preseason.

My main point is you should probably slow your roll if you expect a rookie db with no regular season and a spotty preseason, coming off injury, to disrupt one of the best WRs in the league on one of the best offenses in the league.  If Payton saw Oliver 1:1 with Thomas, I have zero doubt he would not only not avoid the matchup, he would exploit it.  Any OC worth their salary would do the same.

Oliver has the traits to be great, but at this point he has done nothing to suggest he can hang with Thomas at this point in his career.

45 minutes ago, athell said:

Or giving up a crucial touchdown like he did against lesser opponents in the preseason.

My main point is you should probably slow your roll if you expect a rookie db with no regular season and a spotty preseason, coming off injury, to disrupt one of the best WRs in the league on one of the best offenses in the league.  If Payton saw Oliver 1:1 with Thomas, I have zero doubt he would not only not avoid the matchup, he would exploit it.  Any OC worth their salary would do the same.

Oliver has the traits to be great, but at this point he has done nothing to suggest he can hang with Thomas at this point in his career.

I mean it's all conjecture and projection at this point really. I just feel as though he has the tools to be disruptive if, and albeit a great big IF, everything goes his way and he plays to his draft spot on Sunday. Has he shown any of the flashes that have warranted his spot? Not yet. Does he have the potential to be the best corners we've drafted in the Dimitroff era? I'd say yes.

3 hours ago, athell said:

To be fair he'll probably be too busy exploiting Duke Riley.

21 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

Yes.  I am soooo glad that Cam and Brees are different ends of the spectrum... Cam, you have to spy... Brees, you have to pressure!

But LT Armstead is BEASTING... gonna need something special to get to Drew...

Good post! Yes indeed, and without Takk it’s going to make it even harder.

But I still think our defense is better than theirs and if our offense shows up like last week we come away with the W.

11 hours ago, yungfalc92 said:

I mean it's all conjecture and projection at this point really. I just feel as though he has the tools to be disruptive if, and albeit a great big IF, everything goes his way and he plays to his draft spot on Sunday. Has he shown any of the flashes that have warranted his spot? Not yet. Does he have the potential to be the best corners we've drafted in the Dimitroff era? I'd say yes.

I mean, he made more decent plays in pre-season and training camp than Riley has in his career...not that it's saying much, and he still got burned some. But still. Lmao.

Played a different version of man press at Colorado so I also doubt he'll be brought along too quickly, but it makes sense to man him up on bigger receivers for a few snaps a game.

On 9/19/2018 at 6:19 PM, shock said:

Will we finally get to see our steal of a 2nd round pick active on game day this week? How epic would it be if he plays and manages a game sealing interception on Brees? Just like he said he wanted to months ago. 

How exactly is he a steal of a pick? What has he done to warrant that respect?

Just asking.