falcndave

Ito Smith

161 posts in this topic

Question: Do you think he played well Sunday, or was his adequate play just a product of the OL's dominance and Sark's game plan to attack the edges of the Panthers defense?

I'm not sure at this point. There was only one play where I felt like he hesitated and left a couple of yards off a play that still gained 4 or 5 yards. Other than that, his play was certainly a step up from the preseason. Playing full speed with plays being defined to actually attack an opponent may be as big a part of it as anything. I won't go so far as to say I'm comfortable with him, but at least he didn't make me angry! Willing to watch and perhaps eat a little crow on my preseason take in a week or two.  

Tim Mazetti likes this

51 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Question: Do you think he played well Sunday, or was his adequate play just a product of the OL's dominance and Sark's game plan to attack the edges of the Panthers defense?

I'm not sure at this point. There was only one play where I felt like he hesitated and left a couple of yards off a play that still gained 4 or 5 yards. Other than that, his play was certainly a step up from the preseason. Playing full speed with plays being defined to actually attack an opponent may be as big a part of it as anything. I won't go so far as to say I'm comfortable with him, but at least he didn't make me angry! Willing to watch and perhaps eat a little crow on my preseason take in a week or two.  

Most running backs production is tied to OL play.

2 hours ago, falcndave said:

1) I will never say out Oline dominated anybody nor will I give Sark credit for Jack until we're a top 5 offense.

2) Ito is a natural, he bounces off tacklers much the way Turner did and always falls forward. He is a solid back.

Didn't he also drop the ball in the red zone? Think we'll have to wait and see in the future. Still hope that Freeman will be at his best level when he returns. 

Stryka and KCFalcon22 like this

4 hours ago, falcndave said:

He is patient back who follows his blocking……..always has been..That hesitation if I remember the same play was Ito waiting for the gaurd to seal off  the hole on the linebacker...……...He is a super talented back who has great field visión from what I saw Sunday and during his collegiate career.

Edited by lostnmexico

This dude made Luke miss multiple times..... He looked great .... Ito did have the ball punched out but it was recovered.... Im not sure it was a ball security thing but more of a reaching and punched the ball out..... But still he has to keep the ball high and tight.

But i think anyone who didnt come away impressed has to have a agenda.... He looked good

He played well for the most part.  The runs people remember are runs where he did his job well.  He made people miss and broke tackles.  The o-line didn't do those things for him.

He has a lot to learn.  He was indecisive on a couple of runs.  Experience will fix that (it appears to have helped greatly with Coleman, for example).

7 hours ago, falcndave said:

I was one of the few on here during the preseason, that came out and said I liked what I saw, instead of looking at his rookie mistakes. There were a couple of others, maybe Atljbo and Vandy.

This guy looked terrific and helped win us the game, your 'Question' is more of a misleading statement. Should have had another 10-yard run added to his totals for the game, but taken away on a bad call by the referee. He is only going to get better and continue to woo Falcon Fans! 

Edited by Cheap Talk

21 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

I was one of the few on here during the preseason, that came out and said I liked what I saw, instead of looking at his rookie mistakes. There were a couple of others, maybe Atljbo and Vandy.

This guy looked terrific and helped win us the game, your 'Question' is more of a misleading statement. Should have had another 10-yard run added to his totals for the game, but taken away on a bad call by the referee. He is only going to get better and continue to woo Falcon Fans! 

I was an ito fan in preseason as well. I thought he looked good behind a bad oline. 

Cheap Talk likes this

39 minutes ago, dmo_dlo said:

I thought we were supposed to cut him after being a preseason bust, what happened, how is he still on the team?!!

I never said that...but I certainly saw it. The Brian Hill comparisons were amusing. 

1 minute ago, osiruz said:

I was an ito fan in preseason as well. I thought he looked good behind a bad oline. 

I never thought he looked good, but I never thought he had much of a chance either. Its a tough gig where guys are hitting you two yards behind the line and the fans final assessment is: "He didn't create..."

osiruz likes this

i thought he did well. kept his feet moving, even if the hole was clogged and bounced it out for a few more yards.

I don’t get why people were down on Ito as a runner coming into the season. 

What we we saw last Sunday was exactly what we saw out of him when he ran with the first string OL in the pre season.  This guy was a baller in college.

Edited by abstract
PokerSteve likes this

I thought Ito showed that the talent he displayed in college does translate to the nfl.  I came away impressed.  He sure seems to be a natural runner.  Every RB in the nfl needs their Oline to do their job & create some sort of daylight man.