Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JDaveG

Give the man his due....

30 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

.....Sark called a nice game on Sunday.  Jennings talked about it a lot during the broadcast, especially on some of the misdirection plays.  He kept talking about how the playcalling was keeping the Panthers defense off balance.

Very good. 

I still have a complaint on 3rd and short, going tight bunch formation, with two TE's.  Let's face it we suck at it.  Sark don't call that.  Spread the offense on 3rd and short.  You have many option there, play fake, more room for the RBs, use TE's in that situation, misdirection and go backside (same in the redzone) is what I'm saying.  Redzone yesterday was all Ice, two nice TD passes and two running TDs.

Oh, and why we're at it, with big leads (this is directed at Quinn and Manuel) please play straight up D', we get killed when we go soft zone, the middle is wide open and teams score quickly on us.

Great win but I had to vent as these are the things that lost us the SB and I'm not going to be around forever...I am Gumby dammit and I want my SB!

papachaz, shock, JDaveG and 5 others like this

5 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I talked about during the game ( To myself...I was giddy. And the Vodka helped in calming the angst). Very pleased for what is forthcoming. Great plan AND execution.

It looked like they actually practiced for this game.:rolleyes:

Vodka and cranberry...a winning combination. Like Falcons on ICE

see what I did there...:lol:

RING OF HONOR and Tim Mazetti like this

It was a great gameplan, it was also the type on gameplan many have been asking for. 

Spread the ball around and get it to guys in space, rather simple yet rarely done for some reason.

Tim Mazetti likes this

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/early-bird-report-reactions-to-the-falcons-win-against-the-panthers

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – Today’s Early Bird Report includes reactions to the Falcons’ win over the Panthers as well as praise for offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian.

“Sarkisian is in a tough spot,” Wolken writes. “Because he took over an offense that set all kinds of records in 2016, any regression like the Falcons experienced in 2017 was going to be pinned on him. It doesn’t help that he came from the college game with little NFL pedigree. And there’s no doubt some of his play calling, particularly in the red zone, has given the skeptics good material.

“But the NFL is also a game of execution, and the Falcons simply executed better in a 31-24 victory over the Carolina Panthers. Quarterback Matt Ryan, who was oddly inaccurate against the Eagles, bounced back with a strong game, completing 23 of 28 passes for 272 yards against a young Panthers secondary. He also had two rushing touchdowns for the first time in his career.” 

Wolken was also impressed by Calvin Ridley’s performance, who caught four passes for 64 yards and his first career touchdown.

Here are some other articles for Falcons fans to check out today:

NFL.com: What we learned from Sunday’s Week 2 games

As part of the early round of reactions from Week 2, NFL.com’s Kevin Patra wrote about the Falcons’ victory over the Panthers, sharing three things he learned from the win. His first two points covered each team’s offensive performance, but his third point covered a specific pair of Falcons players.

“No Devonta Freeman. No problem for Atlanta,” Patra writes. “Tevin Coleman gashed a good Carolina defense with a bevy of stretch runs and pitches. The back galloped for 107 yards on 16 attempts, including big gains of 36 and 19 yards. Elusive in space, Coleman can squeeze between blockers, run through arm tackles, and outrun linebackers on the second-level. Rookie running back Ito Smith also impressed when giving Coleman a breather, including back-to-back gashes of 13 and 18 yarders on the Falcons third TD drive. With Freeman expected to miss a couple weeks, it's comforting for Atlanta coaches to know they have a duo capable of carrying the load.”

To read more of the reactions from Week 2, click here.

ESPN: Julio: We don’t need Matt Ryan to be Superman, but he was Sunday

Now in his 11th year with the Falcons, Matt Ryan is still managing to accomplish career firsts. Sunday’s win over the Panthers marked the first time in which Ryan ran for two touchdowns in a single game. On one such touchdown, Ryan leapt into the air to reach over a gathering of Panthers defender, invoking a super-heroic image.

"In my eyes, Matt always plays good to me," Jones told ESPN’s Vaughn McClure. "People always look at Matt and sometimes he's getting pressure or whatever have you. But all of us are going to have games here and there where it looks bad, but it's not bad.

"As long as Matt gives us his all, that's all I want from him. I don't need him to go out there and be Superman. But he did on that touchdown run."

AJC: At a needed time, the Falcons – and Sarkisian – have a big day

Sentiments can flip week-to-week in the NFL, based on the performance in the latest game. One week after ripping into Falcons offense coordinator Steve Sarkisian, critics are praising him for his play-calling against the Panthers. Mark Bradley of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is among those who liked what he saw from both Sarkisian and the entire Falcons team.

“Steve Sarkisian will never be Kyle Shananan, but it’s days like these when he reminds us he’s not Elmer Fudd,” Bradley writes. “The man who replaced Shanahan as the Falcons’ offensive coordinator had another in a series of underwhelming showings in the opener at Philadelphia. Ten days later, Sark was a veritable shark. Almost every play he called Sunday had, ahem, bite.

“The Falcons stacked 442 yards against a Carolina defense that’s supposed to be stout. Matters got close at the end, but even had the Panthers’ D.J. Moore held the pass that smacked off his hands in the end zone at 0:00 – DeVondre Campbell and Robert Alford executed a double-team but somehow neglected to play the ball – it would’ve been hard to see the visitors leaving with an overtime victory. The Falcons were thoroughly the better side. This 31-24 victory marked a get-well day.”

To read the rest of Bradley’s column on the Falcons’ win, click here

JDaveG likes this

21 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

Only sequence I hated was late in the 4th. Predictable run, pass, run. 

The only reason I give him slack there is we’re trading clock for yards. You run because it leaves them less time to score. Same with the soft defense late. You aren’t trying to get 3 and out. You’re trying to end the game by running them out of time. 

It’s maddening and it causes me gray hairs. But I understand. 

vel, dawgsfan426, ShadyRef and 1 other like this

18 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Vodka and cranberry...a winning combination. Like Falcons on ICE

see what I did there...:lol:

:tiphat:But I had no ICE.................Didn't need it. It came to me anyway.

Sark called a flawless game. Most around here are only complaining and nitpicking because it's Sark. For instance, the 12 Guage wasn't a bad play call. Kuechly came through untouched. That look converted almost every time last season. The Falcons led the NFL in 3rd down conversions last year. That's one area Sark shouldn't have complaints. 

HeIl, even the second down call at the end of the game. The rollout to Coleman was a perfect call. We were killing them on the ground. They knew we needed a first down but were trying to stay in bounds in the process. If not for a very good play by the LB, Coleman gets the first and the game is iced. Again, yall are complaining because we didn't convert. I'd get that if we lined up three straight runs and were punting on a 4th & 7 type of distance. 

Sark called a good game week one and didn't get the execution. Sark called a good game week two and got the execution. Funny how the level headed of us have been saying all week a better Matt Ryan week one and Sark looks good. 

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

The only reason I give him slack there is we’re trading clock for yards. You run because it leaves them less time to score. Same with the soft defense late. You aren’t trying to get 3 and out. You’re trying to end the game by running them out of time. 

It's not the soft zone so much as the execution. You're supposed to give them 5-7 yard passes, make the tackle make them burn clock. But Cam had a 4.9 YPA midway through the 3rd period, ended up with a 7+ YPA because of all the 10-15-20 yard completions. Part of that is Jones and Neal being out, but part of that is just not executing the scheme well enough. Prime example being that 50 yard TD catch and run. You make them spend another 2 minutes to get that TD, game's over.

The Panthers have a horrible hurry up /2 minute offense. Cam took 30 seconds between snaps with less than a minute left, just had to slow them down a little more.

Of course, offense could have made a couple more first downs and done the same thing.

JDaveG and Francis York Morgan like this

33 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Very good. 

I still have a complaint on 3rd and short, going tight bunch formation, with two TE's.  Let's face it we suck at it.  Sark don't call that.  Spread the offense on 3rd and short.  You have many option there, play fake, more room for the RBs, use TE's in that situation, misdirection and go backside (same in the redzone) is what I'm saying.  Redzone yesterday was all Ice, two nice TD passes and two running TDs.

Oh, and why we're at it, with big leads (this is directed at Quinn and Manuel) please play straight up D', we get killed when we go soft zone, the middle is wide open and teams score quickly on us.

Great win but I had to vent as these are the things that lost us the SB and I'm not going to be around forever...I am Gumby dammit and I want my SB!

You know your footbaol, I even 'liked' your post. Too bad you don't know your politics as well.  ;)

5 minutes ago, vel said:

Sark called a flawless game. Most around here are only complaining and nitpicking because it's Sark. For instance, the 12 Guage wasn't a bad play call. Kuechly came through untouched. That look converted almost every time last season. The Falcons led the NFL in 3rd down conversions last year. That's one area Sark shouldn't have complaints. 

Flawless? - the very fact that Kuechly came through untouched reveals how bad of a call it was - especially that early in the game and especially against an opponent that has seen it before (in game and on film).  It would make sense perhaps against the Bengals or Browns in a few weeks but not the Panthers.

The one thing that we seem to continue to ignore is the RB option on pass plays.  Coleman did catch a few but it was more like last resorts than designed plays.  Meanwhile, Carolina just feasts on using McCaffrey as a receiving RB - the Falcons did contain him largely well but our offense should at least do some of these plays more.

19 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

I know but the field position during that entire sequence was *** cheeks. The worst part was allowing the punt returner to pick up a few yards. When he slipped the first tackler my heart dropped lol

JDaveG likes this

11 minutes ago, big_dog said:

You know your footbaol, I even 'liked' your post. Too bad you don't know your politics as well.  ;)

Please don't go there with politics, this is my refuge from the real world. Please don't bring it into TATF.

HASHBROWN3 likes this

24 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

It would've helped if we had a pass rush.  Dimitroff dropped the ball with not going after Mack or Mike Bennett.  

21 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

Flawless? - the very fact that Kuechly came through untouched reveals how bad of a call it was - especially that early in the game and especially against an opponent that has seen it before (in game and on film).  It would make sense perhaps against the Bengals or Browns in a few weeks but not the Panthers.

The one thing that we seem to continue to ignore is the RB option on pass plays.  Coleman did catch a few but it was more like last resorts than designed plays.  Meanwhile, Carolina just feasts on using McCaffrey as a receiving RB - the Falcons did contain him largely well but our offense should at least do some of these plays more.

Flawless. Yes I said it. 

Luke Kuechly doing Luke Kuechly things doesn't change that. That's yalls problem. You act like the other guys aren't paid to make plays. 

The second part, you ignore a vast number of things. One, we had very good pass distribution for 28 plays. Second, to compare it to the Panthers ignores the Panthers weak WR corps and playing against a scheme designed to encourage short passes to RBs and the defense coming up and making the tackle. They "feasted" on throwing to CMC to the tune of a 31-17 deficit late into the game. Big feast. If the Panthers had Julio, Ridley, and Sanu, their RB wouldn't have almost twice the number of targets as your #1 WR. 

Yall want a dream of a game. For no plays to get stopped and for the opponent to look inept. That doesn't happen. It's the NFL.