Is Duke Riley done?

8 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

This may be more about Quinn liking himself more than liking Riley.  If Quinn (and Dimitroff) lets Riley go after only 1+ seasons, it is an admission he was a bad 3rd round pick and really makes the 2017 draft class less successful:

McKinley - appears to be a good pick, but he might be becoming an injury-prone disaster

Riley - nowhere near his fellow LSU Tiger Deion

Harlow - was hidden on practice squad, so this failure was hidden well

Kazee - a possible success but not helped with targeting call last week

Hill - a failure brought back to try to squeeze some success out of this draft class

Saubert - had a couple of preseason moments but yet to be anything big

This entire class could end coming down to only 1 or 2 players being around next year, so Quinn is going to do all he can to try to get some production out of Riley.  Quinn does not want to endure answering questions about letting Riley go to the media nor does he want to give Blank another reason to consider replacing him.

Yep. And as far as Takk goes,  I thought they had FINALLY hit on a pass rusher(I knew Beasley wasnt that dude. I saw enough of him at Clemson when Nuk was there)..But he was injured when we drafted him, and it seems to have stuck with him. Hope to God Hes not "injury prone" because Takk attack looks promising..

Edited by zekeyboy1
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, RazorWing said:

Bump. My co worker is a lsu fan. He watched duke play there. He told me duke is dumb as ****. After last sunday i really believe it now.

Your co-worker is an idiot, no offense. Duke is a great communicator and is very smart and understand the defense. Just need to clean up his tackling and run fits.

17 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Your co-worker is an idiot, no offense. Duke is a great communicator and is very smart and understand the defense. Just need to clean up his tackling and run fits.

Personally have seen nothing from Duke Riley to indicate that he is "very smart".

It's true that the Panthers were only 5 for 7 for 93 yards throwing the ball against him last week, but the two incompletions were Panthers drops.  He gave up 70+ yards after the catch.  Ouch. What is Kamara going to do to this guy if we run him out there?  Scary to think about.

Just now, Peyton said:

Personally have seen nothing from Duke Riley to indicate that he is "very smart".

It's true that the Panthers were only 5 for 7 for 93 yards throwing the ball against him last week, but the two incompletions were Panthers drops.  He gave up 70+ yards after the catch.  Ouch. What is Kamara going to do to this guy if we run him out there?  Scary to think about.

Our only saving grace with CMC is we kept him out of the end zone.  I dunno if we can do the same with Kamara.

22 minutes ago, Peyton said:

He's calling the defense, and 47 of those yards came on one play that isn't his guy. Both he and the SS were in the same spot and could have made the tackle, but it was a blown coverage.

19 minutes ago, osiruz said:

Where did he say it? DQ said he missed the tackle which he did. It was both of their guy. I wasn't a fan of that soft zone.

This was the exchange in the Monday presser.

"What lessons were learned on the long TD play."

Quinn said "well the first one, the coverage, the lesson to learn for Duke is you know having an awareness of what routes could come up, and then the second one that would be called a compression tackle. So...owning your leverage for the tackle, and to make sure what I told the team...that went from a fender bender into a fatality. And so we give up the big play and they catch it and it ends right there. To let that one go for a score is completely unacceptable." 

2 hours ago, Peyton said:

This was the exchange in the Monday presser.

"What lessons were learned on the long TD play."

Quinn said "well the first one, the coverage, the lesson to learn for Duke is you know having an awareness of what routes could come up, and then the second one that would be called a compression tackle. So...owning your leverage for the tackle, and to make sure what I told the team...that went from a fender bender into a fatality. And so we give up the big play and they catch it and it ends right there. To let that one go for a score is completely unacceptable." 

yes but it seems they were playing that soft zone crap, Quinn wasn't too upset about it. If you watch the entire interview you will realize he really likes Duke.

48 minutes ago, osiruz said:

yes but it seems they were playing that soft zone crap, Quinn wasn't too upset about it. If you watch the entire interview you will realize he really likes Duke.

Wasn't too upset?  it's the first time i have ever heard him use the term "completely unnacceptable". He didn't use language that strong when the Falcons blew a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl.  Also the play earned Duke an immediate trip to the bench for the last pivotal drive.

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

Wasn't too upset?  it's the first time i have ever heard him use the term "completely unnacceptable". He didn't use language that strong when the Falcons blew a 28-3 lead in the Super Bowl.  Also the play earned Duke an immediate trip to the bench for the last pivotal drive.

Says it all the time. he also did specifically say he likes Duke's communication and loves his style of play and what he brings to the team.

Duke hasn't made 1 play since he's been here.  Not even in preseason vs 3rd and 4th stringers.  **** Collins showed a ton more talent than this guy.  How can anyone defend someone that has shown ZERO upside!  I've been waiting for this guy to prove me wrong and show a spark of talent but there isn't anything there.  If Cam exploited Duke in coverage, what do you think Brees and Kamara are gonna do?  Get this clown off the field!

20 hours ago, osiruz said:

Says it all the time. he also did specifically say he likes Duke's communication and loves his style of play and what he brings to the team.

It is rare for Q to call a player out unprompted. He simply could have said that it was a team effort that the team will learn from, but he didn't. 

On 9/17/2018 at 1:05 PM, falconidae said:

Doesn't change my point, that one play is coloring everybody's evaluation of his  game. 

We'll find out soon enough what Quinn thinks. If he's starting next week, means DQ hasn't given up on him.

If only it was 1 play. The very first play of the game the Panthers took advantage of him for a huge run. Didn't get any better after that.

On 9/18/2018 at 4:46 AM, Dungeon Family said:

At this point, I think Vic Beasley and our lack of a consistent pass rush is more of a major point of concern in my honest opinion. 

I think that would help out with the void in our linebacking corps for now.

Sure, Duke needs to step up and show his worth, but he’s barely put in a FULL season at linebacker...and much less at MLB. 

Yes. It is frustrating to watch Duke “figure things out” on the field as he develops, but we’re not going to go find much better on the waiver wire to replace him at this point.

DQ isn’t going to completely pull the plug on the young fellow after drafting him as high as they did. They’d look foolish cutting him this soon.

We’re going to have to ride this one out and hope he hits his stride like Deion did early on in his career. 

I’m rooting for the kid as long as he is a Falcon, and I trust DQ and MM to get him where he needs to be.

If nothing else, I think he’ll at least be good for developing to add to our linebacker depth going forward.

Absolutely. Go back to the 2nd play of the game, Vic had the guy dead to rights in the backfield and looked like a flying idiot out there "attempting" to tackle him and a negative play turned into a 7 or 8 yard run. Just horrendous that the only time Vic has shown up this year as when he's on the wrong end of a play. Outside of Takk and Grady, there has been absolutely no pass rush whatsoever. That's such a major disappointment and can't continue. DL needs to step it up and it starts with Vic.