Is Duke Riley done?

51 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Nah they didn't miss tackles. They were just dropping back to far in coverage. 

They did miss tackles. Quinn was always talking about missed tackles. They’d come back the next week and be better. The only way to get better is live action. That’s why Campbell and Debo are so good. They played early and often. Duke has no choice but to get better each game Debo is out learning from the previous game. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

He’s been awful but I have no doubt he will start against the Taints.  DQ keeps putting him out there so I have to believe he is seeing something we all aren’t.  I’ll say this, dude doesn’t seem to have one person on here taking up for him.  That’s amazing..

BTW, still huge Beasley fan here.  He’s not stepping like I thought he would but still have faith he will.  Takk has made some plays but can the dude stay healthy?  Seems like he’s always hurt

There is an astonishingly high number of people taking up for him actually.  People comparing him to Deion Jones over and over again.  So funny.

6 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

They did miss tackles. Quinn was always talking about missed tackles. They’d come back the next week and be better. The only way to get better is live action. That’s why Campbell and Debo are so good. They played early and often. Duke has no choice but to get better each game Debo is out learning from the previous game. 

Duke hasn’t got better like Deion or Campbell . How or why he’s even being compared to them is ridiculous . For every 1 play Deion or Campbell missed in coverage or run d they made up one or 2 for it . Duke hasn’t done jack **** but fuvk up since he’s been here . You can’t show me a gif from this year or last year where he’s even made a decent play to compare him to any of our rooks from 2016. It’s a big difference between playing up & down compared to being consistently down . 

4 minutes ago, Peyton said:

There is an astonishingly high number of people taking up for him actually.  People comparing him to Deion Jones over and over again.  So funny.

Exactly .. dude is absolutely worse than Paul Worrilow who actually made a play or 2 and was a willingly tackler . Duke hasn’t made a play going on 2 years, doesn’t know where to go when the ball is snapped and shys away from contact. Apples to oranges from Deion & Campbell who looked like players from Day 1 as they took their bumps . 

3 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Exactly .. dude is absolutely worse than Paul Worrilow who actually made a play or 2 and was a willingly tackler . Duke hasn’t made a play going on 2 years, doesn’t know where to go when the ball is snapped and shys away from contact. Apples to oranges from Deion & Campbell who looked like players from Day 1 as they took their bumps . 

Dan Quinn called the long TD  a "fender bender that turned into a fatality", mentioned Duke Riley specifically when discussing it, and called it "completely unacceptable".

I'm not sure I've heard him describe anyone's play that way before.  If he sends Duke out there again next week and Brees exploits him all day and the Falcons lose, it's Dan Quinn's fault.  I can't blame it on Duke.  He's already shown us all he can't play.

17 minutes ago, Peyton said:

You used to be better than this. Not one single person has said Riley= Jones. What they've said is that , like Jones, everybody has a learning curve.

Riley's curve is steeper than some, doesn't mean he can't learn.

Again, Riley has played all of  290 snaps as a LB in the NFL, 58 snaps as a MLB,   The only thing I'm saying is it is still way too early to write him off.

5 minutes ago, falconidae said:

You used to be better than this. Not one single person has said Riley= Jones. What they've said is that , like Jones, everybody has a learning curve.

Riley's curve is steeper than some, doesn't mean he can't learn.

Again, Riley has played all of  290 snaps as a LB in the NFL, 58 snaps as a MLB,   The only thing I'm saying is it is still way too early to write him off.

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once....as I ever was.

Dude, teams cut 40 players at the end of every camp because they show they aren't good for a few weeks.  Duke's been showing it for an entire season plus.  The ONLY reason he is still getting playing time is that he was a 3rd round draft pick. If the Falcons would have drafted him in the 6th round, he'd already be gone.

31 minutes ago, Peyton said:

Dan Quinn called the long TD  a "fender bender that turned into a fatality", mentioned Duke Riley specifically when discussing it, and called it "completely unacceptable".

I'm not sure I've heard him describe anyone's play that way before.  If he sends Duke out there again next week and Brees exploits him all day and the Falcons lose, it's Dan Quinn's fault.  I can't blame it on Duke.  He's already shown us all he can't play.

That’s as solid an analogy I’ve ever heard :lol:

it was pretty much my mindset too...like sag, we gave up something over our LBs but he’s about to get tack...welp, now it’s a game.

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once....as I ever was.

Dude, teams cut 40 players at the end of every camp because they show they aren't good for a few weeks.  Duke's been showing it for an entire season plus.  The ONLY reason he is still getting playing time is that he was a 3rd round draft pick. If the Falcons would have drafted him in the 6th round, he'd already be gone.

Nobody has said Riley=Jones.

And posters here give up on players way too early all the time.  Man has started 7 games, 1 as a MLB. 290 snaps total .

The idea that he can't get better is just absurd, it happens all the time. 

At the risk of sounding like Gazoo defending J Anderson, not saying he WILL get better, just that he still CAN get better.

1 hour ago, Peyton said:

I didn't realize that Quinn called him out by name.  That will be a first that I am aware of.  Not very good for Duke.  Not at all.

I think DQ is still believes in him because he has great physical ability and from what we heard during camp an excellent work ethic. Generally if you have those things you well succeed, so while they're probably just as disappointed as we are, DQ is probably giving him more opportunities to get it right since everything in theory says he should.

Just now, GhostofGritz said:

The thing that concerns me most about Riley is the lack of "flashes." Most guys who are slow to develop in the NFL at least show flashes of good or even brilliant play every now and then.

I haven't seen any flashes from Riley yet.

On plays between the tackle he just takes a first step and stands there.  I'm not sure if he is confused or not reading the Olineman or just timid to attack the ball carrier.  Whatever it is, it is a fatal flaw for a LB.

15 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

I didn't realize that Quinn called him out by name.  That will be a first that I am aware of.  Not very good for Duke.  Not at all.

It's true that he did have positive things to say about him when asked earlier in the presser.  Said they were encouraged.  Sounded like coach speak to me.  On the other exchange, for clarity sake, the reporter asked, "What lessons were learned on the long TD play."

Quinn said "well the first one, the coverage, the lesson to learn for Duke is you know having an awareness of what routes could come up, and then the second one that would be called a compression tackle. So...owning your leverage for the tackle, and to make sure what I told the team...that went from a fender bender into a fatality. And so we give up the big play and they catch it and it ends right there. To let that one go for a score is completely unacceptable." 

Just now, GhostofGritz said:

I've seen him do even worse than that on between the tackles plays, schwarzenegger. I've seen him fairly regularly guess wrong about the flow of the play or the actual path of the ball carrier and just wash himself out of the play...sometimes even before he's been contacted by an opposing player. It's borderline bizarre.

If you watched him on the first play of the game you would have sworn the Panthers were running the hidden ball trick or something.  But they were just running a regular run play right at him......for 20 yards.

On 9/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, Peyton said:

I do think he is "done" as a starter for this football team.  At this point Quinn has to realize that Riley is a player that the Falcons have to "survive" if they put him out there, and just about any option is better than that.

I'm more than willing to give Quinn a pass on Riley up to this point in time because he's a high draft pick and not all young players develop quickly. But after last year and most of preseason this year and two games into the season, it's abundantly clear Riley is a total, unmitigated bust. Bring somebody in to fill the void until Debo returns and put Riley on the inactive list. He's completely useless and a huge liability.

3 hours ago, Peyton said:

Can’t say I’ve seen it.  I’m a self admitted homer and will give our guys the benefit of the doubt over and over but I just can’t with Duke.  I’ve made it a point to watch him closely and he’s been awful.  I hope he gets it together but I don’t see it happening.

3 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

He will. 

No he won't. There you go talking in absolutes again. 

On the drive where he was yanked before, Carolina used two of their timeouts and had the two minute warning. Quinn was only using the tired excuse to avoid bad mouthing him. He was the only starter that wasn't on the field. 

1 minute ago, stizz said:

No he won't. There you go talking in absolutes again. 

On the drive where he was yanked before, Carolina used two of their timeouts and had the two minute warning. Quinn was only using the tired excuse to avoid bad mouthing him. He was the only starter that wasn't on the field. 

Totally agree.

49 minutes ago, Peyton said:

It's true that he did have positive things to say about him when asked earlier in the presser.  Said they were encouraged.  Sounded like coach speak to me.  On the other exchange, for clarity sake, the reporter asked, "What lessons were learned on the long TD play."

Quinn said "well the first one, the coverage, the lesson to learn for Duke is you know having an awareness of what routes could come up, and then the second one that would be called a compression tackle. So...owning your leverage for the tackle, and to make sure what I told the team...that went from a fender bender into a fatality. And so we give up the big play and they catch it and it ends right there. To let that one go for a score is completely unacceptable." 

And people really think Quinn is going to allow a guy on the field who can't tackle and takes bad angles to mirror Kamara.

6 hours ago, GhostofGritz said:

I've watched a ton of football over the years...just like most of you.

I've never seen a player in the NFL at ANY level of experience, raw rookie or 10-year vet, consistently be so clueless as to positioning and proper pursuit angles as Riley is.

He's lost out there, just completely lost.

We were used to him missing tackles and take bad angles, but he pulled a new trick out of his hat by setting screens on his own teammates. If he has any field awareness at all Kazee doesn't get ejected. 

He is mind boggling bad and there's no around it. What's bizarre is that there was nothing on his college tape where you'd think he'd be this awful.

4 minutes ago, stizz said:

And people really think Quinn is going to allow a guy on the field who can't tackle and takes bad angles to mirror Kamara.

We could lose to the Stanks anyway, but if they trot Riley out there for another ClownShow performance and leave him out there for four quarters we have zero chance of winning this game.

I wish quinn could read these posts. I bet in his mind he is thinking the same way we are. He not going to admit that he sucks.

He was agitated about duke missing that tackle.

Any smart coach can see he is not ready to play mlb or the will. If he was a patriot Bellicheck would had cut him this year already.